Why become a member? ×

Bowing the low strings

guyl

Would really appreciate your bowing advice: I have no problem making the G & D strings sing under the bow, but the A and (especially the E) sound rubbish.

It takes a lot of effort to make the string respond and quick/short notes are full of waspish buzzing. It's like the bow doesn't grip the string quick enough.

Is the only answer to practice more, or does anyone have any tips - rosin, bow, effort etc?

Thanks

What kind of rosin are you using ? Maybe you need one of the sticky ones like Kolstein or Nymans.
And the type of strings you use will make a big difference. The Pirastro "Evah Pirazzi" mediums are my current choice. Great for both arco and jazz. I recently put these on both my basses and I can't believe how good (and how loud) they are ! I wish these had been available 40 years ago when I first started as a pro player.

The Major

It does sound as if your rosin could be an issue , even the jazz strings I use take the bow reasonably well. The lower strings should be taking the bow easier than the upper strings ,
afterall there's more for the bow to grip and the tension is a little lower. Check out the rosin first , if there's no improvement ,your strings or your bow or your technique will be at fault ( or some combination of them ). You may need to get 'diagnosed' by a more experienced player, it could save you time and a good deal of 'angst'.
Good Luck :)

[quote name='guyl' post='822756' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:07 AM']Would really appreciate your bowing advice: I have no problem making the G & D strings sing under the bow, but the A and (especially the E) sound rubbish.

It takes a lot of effort to make the string respond and quick/short notes are full of waspish buzzing. It's like the bow doesn't grip the string quick enough.

Is the only answer to practice more, or does anyone have any tips - rosin, bow, effort etc?

Thanks[/quote]

Hi guy
You don't say how long you have been using the bow so it is hard to assess your problems.
There are many variables at play here.
String type.
Quality of Bass
Quality of Bow
Playing technique.
Getting the lower notes to speak is always a little more difficult. You would be best spending some time with a teacher who can observe your technique.
All this aside. Try placing the bow on the E or A string. Don't get to obsessed with bow weight or pressure. Try and allow the weight of your arm provide the pressure. Pull the string just enough to 'cock' it and hold . Get use to that feeling of cocking the string. Then complete the stroke by pulling the bow and producing a long even sound. Just try down bows for now. Up bows involve the same approach though will be more difficult because you really have to think about where the weight of your arm is applied to the bow. There are some very useful videos from Andrew Anderson and Jeff Bradetich . Both players are great teachers and will give you a good leg up.
Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='guyl' post='832987' date='May 10 2010, 07:50 AM']Thanks for the advice on this guys.

Overlooked rosin - have had the same cake of Pirastro for a long time. Invested in a nice new (sticky) lump of "Pops" and things are much better! :)[/quote]
I'm glad the Pops is working for you. For me - I always find Pops to be the best rosin - for about two minutes.

Those low strings - ESPECIALLY the E string are very sluggish no matter what the bass, strings, rosin or technique.

I recently observed a bass masterclass where the Master suggested - just for experimenting: holding the bow still and move the bass away from you - the bass will speak without any 'technique'. It works well - even the E string. I bet it will work on your bass, too - try it and see!
Then, just move your arm instead of the bass.

Cheeers!