Why become a member? ×

I want to build a BFM cab

MythSte

Basically, Although i have my Nemesis 810 i want a more portable rig for home practice and smaller gigs too, Ive just pulled the trigger on an ashdown superfly head and i thought what shall i do about a cab?!

then it slapped me in the face, why not go BFM design?!

How much work has had to be done? How much will it cost all together? With neo speakers perhaps?

Thanks for any input and apologies if this has already been done!

Im pretty much sold on it as i know everyones raved about it, i just want to know whats involved really!

Edit; probably going to be either an omni 10 or omni 12

Edited by ste_m3

Apart from getting some nice cabs, I really enjoyed building them.
Cost wise, I worked it out to be about £130 per cab. (I built two omni 10.5 cabs) That doesn't include any tools though since my dad has a large number which I used.
I used beta 10s which are nice and cheap. The whole cab isn't too heavy either.

Time wise, it took me about 4 days for the first one and then just over half that for the second including drying, carpeting and wiring time. This was the first time I'd done any woodwork and I think they turned out pretty well.
It does take a while to research and source all the parts and get them ordered (I have a spreadsheet with all my parts in if you are interested)

The nice thing is that most of the hard work has been done for you in the plans. Bill tells you exactly what you need to do to cut any awkward pieces and after reading the plans a few times I'm sure you won't find it too hard. And there are plenty of people (here and on the BFM forum) who will help and explain things if you do need it.

I would say an omni 10 or 12 is a good place to start.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6152"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6152[/url] that is my build diary which has some progress shots. Might give you a better idea of what's involved, and the sort of finish that is easily achievable.

Hope that helps

Nick

yeah nick thats exactly the response i wanted to hear! i too have all the tools handy in the form of my stepdad!

I think im going to use the new neo eminence drivers to keep the weight down some more.

Also, how did you go about getting the wood for the actual box? Was it expensive?

many thanks,

Stephen

I'm building an Omni 10 at the moment too, although it seems to be taking many months. I just don't have the time to spend on it.

For me half of the reason for building it is the fun of actually making it and seeing it come together. I bought the Beta 10 speakers which cost about £75 for the pair from Blue Aran, and I reckon the rest of the materials cost me about another £60 not including tools. All the rest came from CPC except for screws, glue and black paint which I got from B & Q. I've just had to buy another sheet of ply due to many balls ups and wasted bits so that cost me an extra £17 which I could have avoided if I'd been more careful. But I will have enough left over to build an Omni 10.5

The Ply comes in 8' x 4' sheets which is a bit too big to transport unless you've got a van. The first sheet I got delivered which cost an extra fiver but the second sheet I had the timber yard cut up for me and it fitted in the back of my Focus. When you buy the BFM plans there is a diagram of how to cut up the various sized sheets in order to get maximum useage out of it. He recommends Baltic Birch, which I couldn't get. All that's available round here is Finnish spruce, so I used that. I would go to a proper timber merchant rather than a DIY place.

Edited by PaulMartin

[quote name='ste_m3' post='89721' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:28 AM']thanks ever so much guys, ive just ordered the plans now, i cant wait to get started!

If anyone has any real top tips id be incredibly greatful!

cheers guys.[/quote]

One of the first instructions in the plans is to build a straight edge using three strips of ply glued and screwed together. I did that and I've never actually used it and it wasted a big chunk of the sheet of ply. I just used a metre long ruler which I found was much easier to use.

But probably the most essential tool is the saw sled for the circular saw, or some means of making straight accurate cuts with your circular saw. It tells you how to make the saw sled but you may already have some method of making straight cuts.

I'd try building the O12 Top or the Omni10. [b][url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/OmniTop12.html"]This is Bill's site[/url][/b]. Join his forum, it's very useful
for sourcing bits and general building tips, info and reviews. The reviews are particularly useful to help you decide which box to go for.

Good luck and keep a diary for us to see your progress if you can.

Cheers,

Hi Stephen

I built an Omni 15 a few months ago, my first cab build and found it reasonably easy to build, sourcing crossover components was the hardest part.
It sounds great, blows my Nemesis 2x10 and my Peavey 410 TVX away
You are welcome to come and try it out with your own top or my Little Mark 2. As you already know im in Leeds.

Regards --- Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='90032' date='Nov 17 2007, 08:48 PM']Hi Stephen

I built an Omni 15 a few months ago, my first cab build and found it reasonably easy to build, sourcing crossover components was the hardest part.
It sounds great, blows my Nemesis 2x10 and my Peavey 410 TVX away
You are welcome to come and try it out with your own top or my Little Mark 2. As you already know im in Leeds.

Regards --- Will.[/quote]

Bye the way this offer extends to anybody in the area that wants to try a BFM Cab out before building.

Will.