Why become a member? ×

Dean Edge Pro 5 String bridge replacement

jmccabe

Dear All

I was wondering if any of you have, or have considered replacing the bridge on their Dean Edge Pro 5 String. If so, what did you replace it with and how difficult was it?

The standard Edge Pro 5 bridge is one of those finger style things but on mine (and I presume on all the other ones, but...) nearly all of the fingers hang out over where the body starts to curve. You can't see it from the front, but from the side it looks a bit stupid. Also they're not that sturday as far as I can see. I got some strings that have quite small balls on the end and they're not very secure in the slots. Finally I find the sadlles a bit of a nuisance to adjust because it's awkward to get in to the allen nut to loosen them off depending on the angle of the string and it's not easy to make accurate small adjustments.

Anyway - I'd be grateful for any useful information anyone has on this.

Just had a look at the review of your bass on [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Dean+Guitars/Edge+Pro5+5-String/10/1"]Harmony Central[/url] It's a great site. If you ever wonder what other players think of your bass have a look around there.

There's only 1 review, but they point out the problem with the bridge and say that they're considered changing it for a Badass one.

The individual "Monolithic" bridges look like copies of [url="http://www.abm-mueller.com/index2ccbb.html?bassbridges.html"]ABMs bridges[/url]. I don't know for sure, but they could be a good like-for-like replacement. I have ABMs on one of my basses and never had a problem with them.

Thanks for that. For what it's worth, it was me that put the review on Harmony Central. Badass was a thought, but the problem is the length, well, the problem with the bass is the distance between the bridge pickup and where the body curves isn't very far which is why the monolithic ones dangle a bit (i'll try to post a pic one day). The badass is quite long in that direction so would also probably 'dangle' or would need a bit of routing to the body or even a base plate or something.That ABM stuff looks interesting. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance. Thanks again. Btw what part of glasgow are you in? I was born in Govan.