Why become a member? ×

Replacing electronics for more oomph?

guyl

This has probably already been covered in Bassworld/talk .... but I'd be really grateful for some advice!

I have owned a Warwick Streamer 6 from new (it is now about 12 years old). The Bartolini soapbars are warm and sound great in a small group situation, but the bass just doesn't have enough oomph to cut through a noisy drummer/guitarist mix.

This week, I went over to Sound Control Manchester - resigned to forking out for a Musicman, TRB (or anything that has punch and volume) for noisy gigs.

Got talking to the repair guy who is based at but independant from Sound Control. He reckoned that although the p'ups are Bartolini, the rest of the electrics are Warwicks own. His advice was to keep the p'ups and change the rest of the electronics for either MEC or Bartolini. This would give loads more output and general oomph.

Am a bit nervous of forking out (at least) a couple of hundred quid for something I've never heard or am not even certain would be an improvement. I'd be grateful for any advice - is this worth doing or is the money better put towards a new bass.

If it is worth doing - Bartolini's or MECs (or someone elses electronics?)

If you want to dabble in active electronics for little financial risk (£30 delivered), you could do worse than this:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/artec_se2_basselektronik.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/artec_se2_basselektronik.htm[/url]

I used one of these in my recent build, and I can vouch for the fact that there's a great range of tones, and enough oomph to completely overload my practice amp for some horrible farty sounds :)

Works well with the passive Seymour Duncans I used.

Full range of Artec gear here:

[url="http://artecsound.com/basseq.html"]http://artecsound.com/basseq.html[/url]

If they were Warwick's own electronics, wouldn't that make them MEC?

Personally, I've had two Warwicks. One was from new, with MEC pickups and electronics, and the other used, with EMGs. The MECs were most definitely the weakest part of either bass. I've also used MEC pickups in a Jazz bass project, and my opinion was the same.

I've always heard that Seymour Duncans (pickups and electronics) can sound pretty amazing in a Warwick.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='8036' date='May 28 2007, 12:55 PM']If they were Warwick's own electronics, wouldn't that make them MEC?

Personally, I've had two Warwicks. One was from new, with MEC pickups and electronics, and the other used, with EMGs. The MECs were most definitely the weakest part of either bass. I've also used MEC pickups in a Jazz bass project, and my opinion was the same.

I've always heard that Seymour Duncans (pickups and electronics) can sound pretty amazing in a Warwick.[/quote]

Yep. I've got a '96 Streamer LX6. It has the "usual" MEC set-up;

Volume w/pull up passive
Pan
Bass
Treble

The Pick-ups on mine are Seymour Duncans. I see that newer models have MEC pick-ups. I presume that these weren't available back then, as the 6ers all seem to have differing pick-ups.
Mine lacks a bit of clout, but I wouldn't want to change the tone...

That said, my all-MEC Infinity SN4 is excellent, but it took some Elixirs and a FatFinger to get it there.

Why not talk to john east? His designs have pick up buffer preamps with individual gain trimpots. So not only can you set levels for the instrument but also account for differences in level between pick ups

It's a simillar situation to a friend of mine, who has a Yamaha TRB 6, it sound fantastic in a practise situation, but live it had no punch at all. The Barts should be up the task from my experience, maybe John East is your answer, alternatively, you could look at Vilex pickups and electrics, the difference in tone once the Vilex pups and booster are put in is supposed to be nothing short of miraculous, but they're pricey, and I don't know if they make a 6 string setup.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='8202' date='May 28 2007, 06:06 PM']Why not talk to john east? His designs have pick up buffer preamps with individual gain trimpots. So not only can you set levels for the instrument but also account for differences in level between pick ups[/quote]

That's certainly the best advice. Keep the instrument you're comfortable and generally happy with and get John to boost the tones for the live work. He did a great job of making by SUB5 sound like a SR on steroids and gave me the flexibility of a mid-sweep that allowed me to cut through at very specific frequencies if needed. He's a wizard with the sort of problem you're describing
Chris

Hey - Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm off to check out the options that you suggested. On reflection, (and after a dozen years together,)I'm a bit emotionally attached to this old lump of wood and metal and would rather make it sound better (and more gigable) than just sell it off for a younger model!

Interesting to hear that Bassaussie doesn't rate MEC electronics. I think this bass was manufactured just before the Streamer 6's were sold with stock MEC inards.

Guy

[quote name='guyl' post='8380' date='May 28 2007, 10:57 PM']Hey - Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm off to check out the options that you suggested. On reflection, (and after a dozen years together,)I'm a bit emotionally attached to this old lump of wood and metal and would rather make it sound better (and more gigable) than just sell it off for a younger model!

Interesting to hear that Bassaussie doesn't rate MEC electronics. I think this bass was manufactured just before the Streamer 6's were sold with stock MEC inards.

Guy[/quote]

Hey, definately DON'T sell the bass!! I think they're great basses. I just think the MEC electronics are a weak point for them. Others may think differently, and I'm far from an expert, so I guess it's up to your own experiences.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=627"]OBP-1[/url]

There's an Aguilar obp-1 for sale on this board for £40. I reckon you could find a decent enough tech to fit it for the same. £80 to fit a quality 18V preamp in your bass.

I reckon that'd solve any oomph problems :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bassbloke' post='8450' date='May 29 2007, 07:16 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=627"]OBP-1[/url]

There's an Aguilar obp-1 for sale on this board for £40. I reckon you could find a decent enough tech to fit it for the same. £80 to fit a quality 18V preamp in your bass.

I reckon that'd solve any oomph problems :)[/quote]

Hi

Don't want to labour an old thread, but I was so grateful for all the advice that I just wanted to give you some feedback!

Bought the abovementioned Aguilar OBP-1. Wimped out of fitting it myself, so paid someone else to do it. (Turned out to be money well spent, because he managed to extract all the original bits without any butchery.)

It certainly sounds different - after half a dozen gigs I'm still getting used to it and finding the best sounds. The bass somehow sounds cleaner - without loosing warmth ...... and louder! (No need to turn the amp anywhere near as loud as before!)

Most importantly it has cut through in each live situation - exactly what we set out to achieve!

The only feature that is missing (IMHO) is a mid-range eq. The 3-eq aguilar will be on my shopping list soon. (Need to check dimensions first - this 2-eq was a tight fit with the two 9v batteries)

Also had a great chat with John East - a lovely and helpful chap. Ended up a bit skint so didn't fork out for his preamp. Definately on the wish list though!

Got lots of other great ideas - GAS is going to be bad for new pickups and onboard preamps for a while.

Thanks for all your help guys - and I urge you, if you're ever unhappy with your sound - check out the replacement electronics before ebaying the bass! There's a world of great stuff out there - all of it far cheaper than a new bass!

Guy

PS - reason I'm skint is that I also gave into the GAS and bought a Stingray5 too! (Now that IS loud!)