Why become a member? ×

Classic and Cool Guitars

Alfie

For a while now I have been looking at a few nice basses on this site:

[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk[/url]

Has anyone on here ever had dealings with this guy? He is based in the South West.

He seems to get a lot of nice stuff in, but I am put off by it not really being a proper shop and he doesn't accept credit card, which I like to use in these situations to provide piece of mind.

A lot of the stuff also seems to be priced at the high end of the valuation spectrum, regardless of condition.

Any thoughts?

I've only heard good things about him. I know that he has BC customers, so sure one of them will be along soon with some info.

I love the the blue precision that he has and would love to buy it for my daughter. Made in the year she was born and her favourite colour.

All the best, Gary

Some nice basses but agreed about the pricing being top of the range. He has a lovely immaculate '77 Precision in Oly White that I enquired about a few months back. Its on for £2095 which is probably £500 to much. When I pointed out the disaparity in pricing between this bass and similar (albeit not as good nick) one on another website, his reply was that he had paid top dollar for it from the US (which is fair enough) and that he wanted it to be a show-piece bass on his web-site ... I really didn't understand the latter comment as, given its a business, I would have thought selling the bass was more of a priority than having a pretty bass adorning his web-site. Was very friendly in all our communications.

The cherry burst precision is the twin of mine. I think the blurb on that listing may be misleading though - these basses were the last of the old era, not the first of the new era where they reversed the bad cost-cutting decisions of the CBS era. Mine weighs a ton, had really crap fretbuzz from new until I took it to the Gallery for a partial refret. Nice looking bass though.

He's been discussed on here before a few years ago, in relation to the massive number of Peavey T40s he had for sale - he seemed to be grabbing every one that came up on Ebay & reselling them. Presumably successfully, because he doesn't seem to have any now.

The Ibby Roadster (a passive RS824) that he currently has on is about £150 - £200 more than it would generally sell for, and the Warwick Fortress Flashback (the only Warwick I've ever had vestigial GAS for!), while very rare in this country, is over twice what I've seen them sell for on German Ebay!

He's got a list of sold instruments that's as long as a giant squid's tentacle - so it's obviously working for him though. Which is a good thing, from my materialistic gyppo perspective.

Jon.

So plenty of people have been in contact (including me), but has anyone from BC actually bought anything?

I was interested in the Vintage White 1983 Precision, but he seems to have sold it a few times and the price is too high considering the big ding on the top of the body.

the Axis Sport is a fair bit overpriced as well. probably of all the MM guitars the Sports held their value the worst - I've owned three of these - still got one of them - an HSS with the pickguard and two MM90s Sports with the P90 pickups,both without the guard and they all cost £550 or under. I've seen a lot of regular Axis and Supersports with quilt/flame tops for less.

He's called Mark and he's a one man industry. Top bloke and forget the site name, he's a bass player! I bought my 78 mocha brown P-bass and an Ampeg head. i've met him and played a bunch of his gear. i've also had orders posted out from him. Can't fault him. His prices are what they are, you are paying for quality and if it's duff, he won't sell it. I can't recommend him enough and I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

• 6 years later...

Odd thread resurrection, but I have both bought and sold with mark.

I bought my black 62RI Stack jazz off Mark and I also have one of his awesome Liimelights - a 62 Precision a la Pino Palledino custom shop - fiesta red.....
It's ace.
Mark'a a good guy, knows his stuff, sells quality gear.....and his limelights are seriously good too!!

Mark made my Limelight 76 precision. I picked it up from his house in Devon a couple of weeks ago. He was an absolute gent and clearly passionate about basses. I couldn't be happier with my new bass and will definitely be ordering a nice 60s Limelight jazz next. He's very easy to deal with and knows his stuff.