Why become a member? ×

i know its sad but

cris the man

[quote name='cris the man' post='89096' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:32 PM']i'd love a wammy bar for my bass ( tremelo arm )

however , i want it on my 6 string

i believe this requires a new bridge , but i find my bridge really good
does anyone know where to get a 6 string bridge with a wammy bar attachable thingymabob?[/quote]
There's nothing sad about whammy bars.

If I read you correctly, you're after an "add-on" that'll convert your existing bridge into a trem bridge. If I've got that right, I think you'll be out of luck & I'm not sure that it's actually possible without breaking some laws of physics.

There are two main options - Hipshot - who don't do a six-string version & require that you make some serious holes in your bass (think of how a Strat is configured & you'll get the idea) & [url="http://www.kahlerusa.com/"][u][b][color="#0000FF"]Kahler[/color][/b][/u][/url], who do make a sixer - but it ain't cheap. You'd still need to rout a hole for the cam/spring arrangement to live in, but it's minor compared to the Hipshot method.

To add to the confusion, there are two arrangements for a Kahler depending on how much space you've got available. Looking at your bridge it looks as though you'd need a 2406 as you've got a fair bit of space behind the saddles, but not a vast amount in front.

They're well made, hold their tuning but are a bit fiddly to intonate. They're also f'in heavy lumps of solid brass.

Have a close up...

Pete.

You could save a lot of work, time and money by buying a Digitech Whammy pedal surely?

i thought that's what most bassist's did... i know it's what i'd do.

They're nothing but trouble, i've had to live with 'em on guitars and no way are they going to invade my little bass world!

Edited by Adam.M

[quote name='Adam.M' post='89203' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:36 AM']They're nothing but trouble, i've had to live with 'em on guitars and no way are they going to invade my little bass world![/quote]
Each to their own, & I know what you mean about guitar trems. But Basses ain't guitars, & the same seems to be true of trems.

Mine's been in place for nearly 20 years now, & apart from one broken return spring (easily replaced) I've had precisely no issues at all whatsoever with it.

It holds tuning just fine provided a new set are stretched in before laying about them, but does seem to go through A & D strings - they have a life expectancy of about a month with me (although I suspect that a combination of aggressive style + pick + left hand string bending exacerbates this).

It'll track [i]any[/i] note perfectly as well.

Pete.

I don't think Floyd do bass bridges ( but may be wrong) but even if they do, I would imagine the routing is going to be pretty extensive - much more than the Kahler - due to the way Floyds work.

John Patitucci had a great system on one of his Yamaha TRB6s - a fixed bridge for the BE and A and a whammy on the top three strings.Alas, I've never seen another one.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='89360' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:12 PM']I don't think Floyd do bass bridges ( but may be wrong) but even if they do, I would imagine the routing is going to be pretty extensive - much more than the Kahler - due to the way Floyds work.

John Patitucci had a great system on one of his Yamaha TRB6s - a fixed bridge for the BE and A and a whammy on the top three strings.Alas, I've never seen another one.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

dang :)

[quote name='Adam.M' post='89203' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:36 AM']You could save a lot of work, time and money by buying a Digitech Whammy pedal surely?

i thought that's what most bassist's did... i know it's what i'd do.

They're nothing but trouble, i've had to live with 'em on guitars and no way are they going to invade my little bass world![/quote]

Whammy pedals give you pitch-shifting and harmonising effects, not tremolo effects!

[quote]just had a look on the website - OMFG!
$529!
thats like £260[/quote]

I'd say thats about right for a 6er bridge with a unique trem system.
Thats before you add the price of having someone rout out the necessary hole!

What will you actually be using it for mate?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='89877' date='Nov 17 2007, 02:06 PM']Whammy pedals give you pitch-shifting and harmonising effects, not tremolo effects!

I'd say thats about right for a 6er bridge with a unique trem system.
Thats before you add the price of having someone rout out the necessary hole!

What will you actually be using it for mate?

Si[/quote]

dno really , just kinda les claypool stuff
i like him :) hes good , also some bass solos just need that kinda pitch shift when u sustain a note to make it more lively u no?

You're playing a lot of Primus covers at gigs to necessitate a trem unit huh?! :)

With regards to "pitch shift on sustained notes", i find that adding vibrato with my fingers adds enough interest without needing to cut massive holes in my bass! lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='89983' date='Nov 17 2007, 07:06 PM']You're playing a lot of Primus covers at gigs to necessitate a trem unit huh?! :)

With regards to "pitch shift on sustained notes", i find that adding vibrato with my fingers adds enough interest without needing to cut massive holes in my bass! lol

Si[/quote]
Or sliding a note on a fretless :huh:

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='89997' date='Nov 17 2007, 07:28 PM']Or sliding a note on a fretless :huh:[/quote]

can't play a fretless too well , i don't have one and also i tend to get quarter tones above the note or below it , i find it very difficult
vibrato - never tried that , ill have to give it a go :)

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='91017' date='Nov 19 2007, 07:03 PM']Now I would *love* one of them ;-)

I know Schecter did a version a while back...

I certainly couldn't afford the Fender reissue.

An E to E bass would be excellent.[/quote]

well it certainly wasn't cheap !

i love it though - i'm trying out for a krautrock/drone band tomoz...if i'm in i'll deffo see about playing the vi

[quote name='ahpook' post='91117' date='Nov 19 2007, 09:27 PM']well it certainly wasn't cheap !

i love it though - i'm trying out for a krautrock/drone band tomoz...if i'm in i'll deffo see about playing the vi[/quote]

is that a jaguar?
man i hate the bridges on those , worst design ever
i had one for a for a day and the bridge just went
the stirng come off the little indents

still , i suppose thats what makes it such a great guitar
rock n roll!