Why become a member? ×

Saddle height adjuster screws

Paul S

Probably a dumb question as the obvious answer is move my hand somewhere else... but it is comfortable there and the most natural place to rest for a lot of tracks I play. But for those bridges that have them sticking up (and I now have 3 out of 4 basses that do) it can get a bit sore to keep rubbing on them.

So how do people get around it? Is there some simple thing you can stick over the top but doesn't damp the strings?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/saddle-bridge-height-screws-allen-key_W0QQitemZ170475330112QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item27b11f1a40"]Found some on eBay[/url] just need to decide which to get - I am guessing metric for the Japanese guitars and probably 10mm as the existing ones are around 16mm.

Ta.

[quote name='Musicman69' post='817155' date='Apr 24 2010, 12:51 PM']And I was just going to suggest raising the action..

Spoilsports!

:) :rolleyes:[/quote]
Ain't too daft an idea - pop a shim in the neck pocket and raise the saddles to compensate.

Jon.

I wondered about that but the problem then becomes losing the ability to palm mute, which I do sometimes. No, I think shorter screws one way or another - either cutting them myself or getting some.

I bought a pack of 3mm x 8mm screws in the end - they fit a treat as they have the correct thread but maybe a little short. I'll get another pack of 10mm (as I originally said). An easy and quick fix.

ta.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='817022' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:16 AM']Shorter screws?[/quote]

Yep, thats what i did with my Fender P5. bloody G and D string saddles kept ripping the side of my hand. only problem was i had to order 10 (i think). I dont have them any more, before anyone might ask.