Why become a member? ×

We Will Rock You

waynepunkdude

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='816808' date='Apr 23 2010, 11:04 PM']learn some Queen numbers? lol[/quote]

Haha if I'm honest I've never played any Queen (I f***ing hate Queen) and I've only just been asked to do it.

I was wondering what songs I'd need to learn and more importantly how to achieve the tone of who ever Queen's bass player is/was.

I think Fender Precisions all the way, with Flatwound Strings? Not sure on amps possibly Sunn or Acoustic from what i've seen online.
Found this on wikipedia [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Will_Rock_You_%28musical%29"]here[/url]Here is what you need to learn. Good luck...
ACT 1
* Innuendo – Freddie Mercury and ensemble
* Radio Ga Ga – Ga Ga Kids
* I Want to Break Free – Galileo
* I Want to Break Free (reprise) – Scaramouche
* Somebody to Love – Scaramouche and Teen Queens
* Killer Queen – Killer Queen and Yuppies
* Play the Game – Killer Queen and Yuppies
* Death On Two Legs* (instrumental)
* Under Pressure – Galileo and Scaramouche
* A Kind of Magic – Killer Queen, Khashoggi and Yuppies
* Here Comes Santa! / Don't Stop Me Now - Ga Ga Kids
* I Want It All – Brit and Meat
* Headlong – Brit, Meat, Galileo and Scaramouche
* No-One but You (Only the Good Die Young) – Meat and Bohemians
* Crazy Little Thing Called Love* – Brit, Meat, Galileo, Scaramouche and Bohemians
* Ogre Battle (instrumental)
ACT 2
* One Vision/Radio Ga Ga (reprise) – Ga Ga Kids
* Who Wants to Live Forever – Galileo and Scaramouche
* Flash – Bohemians
* Seven Seas of Rhye – Khashoggi and Bohemians
* Fat Bottomed Girls* – Killer Queen and Sex Yuppies
* Don't Stop Me Now (reprise) – Killer Queen
* Another One Bites the Dust – Killer Queen
* Hammer to Fall – Galileo and Scaramouche
* These Are the Days of Our Lives – Pop and Bohemians
* Bicycle Race* – Bohemians
* Headlong (reprise)* – Galileo, Scaramouche and Pop
* Brighton Rock solo* (instrumental)
* Tie Your Mother Down* (instrumental)
* We Will Rock You – Galileo and Bohemians
* We Are the Champions – Galileo and ensemble
* We Will Rock You (fast version) – Ensemble
* Bohemian Rhapsody – Entire cast

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='816809' date='Apr 23 2010, 11:07 PM']Haha if I'm honest I've never played any Queen (I f***ing hate Queen) and I've only just been asked to do it.

I was wondering what songs I'd need to learn and more importantly how to achieve the tone of who ever Queen's bass player is/was.[/quote]

It's a pretty extensive list! My daughter's piano copy has (deep breath!)

Innuendo / Radio Ga Ga / I want to break free / Somebody to love / Killer queen / Play the game / Death on two legs / Under pressure / A kind of magic / I want it all / Headlong / Only the good die young / Crazy little thing called love / Ogre battle / One vision / Who wants to live forever / Flash / Seven seas of rye / Fat bottomed girls / Don't stop me now / Another one bites the dust / Hammer to fall / These are the days of our lives / Bicycle race / We will rock you / We are the champions / Bohemian Rhapsody

I think a fair chunk of John Deacon's 'sound' came from a small home-made amp being used as a pre-amp!

Not much of a challenge then!

[quote name='Doddy' post='816838' date='Apr 24 2010, 12:00 AM']I thought it was a reading gig?[/quote]

A friend of mine has been to see this and says Neil Murray reads it. Monster of a set list with some tricky phrasing in places; hats off to you and huge kudos if you take it on.

[quote name='Sean' post='817017' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:04 AM']A friend of mine has been to see this and says Neil Murray reads it. Monster of a set list with some tricky phrasing in places; hats off to you and huge kudos if you take it on.[/quote]

I'm going to give it a go, you get nowhere saying no.

[quote name='Sean' post='817017' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:04 AM']A friend of mine has been to see this and says Neil Murray reads it. Monster of a set list with some tricky phrasing in places; hats off to you and huge kudos if you take it on.[/quote]

Went to see the stage show at The Dominion in London - we had good seats down the front & I could see Neil Murray playing in the band up on stage left (as you're looking at the stag). I know he uses an ESP PJ bass & I'm pretty sure I saw a Sei 5 or 6 string fretless being used as well.

You can't go far wrong with using a P-Bass, I think John Deacon used those for about 95% of Queen's records anyway. Good luck with the gig!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='816809' date='Apr 23 2010, 11:07 PM']Haha if I'm honest I've never played any Queen ([b]I f***ing hate Queen[/b]) and I've only just been asked to do it.

I was wondering what songs I'd need to learn and more importantly how to achieve the tone of [b]who ever Queen's bass player is/was.[/b][/quote]

Sacrilege. I believe that it is a condition of the forum membership that all members must like Queen and know who John Deacon is! :)

Hopefully by the end of the show you will be enlightened and allowed to post on the forum again!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='816809' date='Apr 23 2010, 11:07 PM']Haha if I'm honest I've never played any Queen (I f***ing hate Queen) and I've only just been asked to do it.

I was wondering what songs I'd need to learn and more importantly how to achieve the tone of who ever Queen's bass player is/was.[/quote]

ha ha, my sentiments exactly...

as for tone... ? wouldn't worry about it..it is a P-bass.
He sometimes played with fingers, thats about it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='817025' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:19 AM']I'm going to give it a go, you get nowhere saying no.[/quote]
+1 - too true, that's the right attitude!

I was just thinking how un punk rock this whole enteprise was until you said that!!

I've done a production of this. Its a great show to play - very enjoyable. In the main its just a load of Queen songs with a story line similar to the Rush 2112 concept - but if you are lugging it rather than reading I'd suggest giving the sound track a good listen as the arrangements are different to the originals. Enjoy!

[quote name='JD1' post='817657' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:38 PM']I should have added - If you've not done a show before then more important than tone (btw fender precision if you have one) is watch the MD / conductor like a hawk! Oh yes and enjoy![/quote]

I have got a P but I don't think it'd suit the look so I'm thinking my natural Jazz would suit the image better.

Cheers I've never worked with a conductor before so I'll need to practice that.

Nice one Wayne. I'd love to do this.
Not a huge queen fan but i do like JD's bass line.
As already said, most of its played on a P but a few were done on a SR4. You got one? lol
Im sure for a small production any bass will work, just keep the slapping to a minimum ;-)

I played this show a couple of years ago, as a few people have pointed out queen songs held together with a weak story, hugely enjoyable to play as i adore queen an JD is one of my favourite players, it is a reading gig so dont rely on just learning the songs as the arrangements are slightly diffrent and watch the conductor fr que,s he/she will be beating time in case the drummer cant keep it :) when i did it i used a warwick streamer stage 1 favouring the P pickup, but a warm smooth fingerstyle tone can be had on any bass with a bit of tweaking.
If you hate queen thats fine, maybe you,ll appreciate what a great player John Deacon is after doing it, enjoy - all the best - lee