Why become a member? ×

A Big Thanks to Alex Claber. my life is now easier.

dave_bass5

Guys.
Ive posted a few time recently about hollow stages and and loosing throw out front etc and Alex has been very helpful in explaining things like the boundary effect etc. In the past month i have gone back to all the places i was having trouble with and, taking on board all ive learnt have am now getting much better results.
The main thing is now im keeping the rig near the rear walls. Alex posted a list of frequencies that get lost depending how near/far the cab is to a wall and thats made such a difference i wanted to thanks him here in this thread.

[b]Cheers Alex.[/b]

Edited by dave_bass5

This is what Alex wrote in the thread about wooden stages a while back

"Boundary Cancellation throws another wrench into the cogs. If the bass cab is not in a corner, there will be a notch in the frequency response that is related to the distance from the cab to the wall:

2 feet will notch at ~140Hz
2.5' at ~112Hz
3' at ~95 Hz
3.5' at ~ 80Hz
4' at ~ 70Hz
5' at ~ 57Hz
6' at ~ 47Hz
7' at ~ 40Hz
8' at ~ 35Hz"

[quote name='machinehead' post='88821' date='Nov 15 2007, 10:01 AM']I'll add to this. His posts are very useful and have helped me a lot recently.

Thanks Alex.

Frank[/quote]
+1

Alex has been really helpful, as has BFM and a few other members who know their stuff in this area! It's a great resource and support which hopefully, we won't ever take for granted!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='88903' date='Nov 15 2007, 12:52 PM']Glad to have been of help!

I've just moved house and now my computer is no longer in the corner of a room the el cheapo speakers have gone from sounding tolerable to horribly thin and bottomless - damned boundary reinforcement or lack thereof...

Alex[/quote]

My work colleagues couldn't understand why I kept moving our little stereo around until it sounded right. Our work area is approx 28000 sq ft, and it'll be lucky if its little drivers get more that 2w/ch PMPO...

It needs all the help it can get!

Needless to say it's above ear level in a corner. Better radio reception higher up!