Why become a member? ×

I AM A COMPLETE IDIOT

crumpet_tramp

Pretty much - its a resistance thing. The number of ohms refers to the level of resistance.The more ohms equals the more resistance. If your cab is 8 ohm, the amp needs to work twice as hard to power it than if is 4 ohms. Its not as simple as that, tho, because connecting speakers in parallel or unison effects the resistance (ie 2x 8 ohms in series is 16 ohm while 2x8 ohms in parallel is 4 ohms). In fact, your amp is not losing power at all, it is just using it to do more work.

Go to www.bassbacke.de/hints/bass/cabproperties.htm for a fuller explanation.

[quote name='crumpet_tramp' post='88874' date='Nov 15 2007, 06:49 AM']Cheers guys hust wanted a quick answer.

I'm gona research into a new cab![/quote]
Before going to extraordinary effort, consider that if your cab was 4 ohms the potential additional output would be only 3dB. In lay terms, that's about the difference between having your volume knob at seven rather than six. If your rig isn't loud enough adding a second identical cab will give you 6dB. If your rig is loud enough it ain't broke, so it don't need fixing.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='89114' date='Nov 15 2007, 08:15 PM']Before going to extraordinary effort, consider that if your cab was 4 ohms the potential additional output would be only 3dB. In lay terms, that's about the difference between having your volume knob at seven rather than six. If your rig isn't loud enough adding a second identical cab will give you 6dB. If your rig is loud enough it ain't broke, so it don't need fixing.[/quote]

Cheers, I'm trying to buy waaaaaaay to much stuff as it is!