Why become a member? ×

Hollowbodies

Doctor J

I've started hankering after a hollowbody, just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience they can offer. Not too fussy, but would prefer 34" scale. The Lakland intrgues me but the Skyline price is a bit offputting. Budget will be about a grand or so.

I had a DeArmond Starfire for a while, it had a pleasant, woody sound to it, light on the shoulders of course, and looked really nice. Short scale though, I ended up selling it for that reason.

In the long scale department, I fancy giving an Epiphone Jack Casady signature a shot at some point.

I always thing Hollowbodies are best being Shortscale and fairly cheap, I have a Dearmond Starfire (with Darkstar pickups) and I love it, I've tried the Jack Casady and trust me did I want to love that bass but I just really didn't think all that much of it, other than looks (That is not to say I still wouldn't buy one).

I did try the 34inch scale ibanez Artcore, that was very nice and looks great, I'd look out for one of those for a taster.

I have considered the Lakland as well but just think it looks too modern for a Hollowbody.

This is a good starting point to see what's around; [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73230"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73230[/url]
The vintage semi's (Starfire / EB-2 / Rivoli etc) are very different beasts from the modern ones (Warwick Infiniti etc); and from the sound of it it's the latter you're after. IMHO piezo and fretless really bring out the most of the acoustic nature of a hollow-body, and there are some superb ones at the moment.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='813961' date='Apr 21 2010, 05:15 PM']I'm likely to be selling my Yamaha BEX, hollowbody (also has piezo for 'that' sound) so keep your eyes on the for sale section. Not quite a £1k bass but tbh for a couple hundred it'd give a few expensive basses a run for their money!

[/quote]

There's something quite appealing about that in a vintage way. very nice.

T

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='813961' date='Apr 21 2010, 05:15 PM']I'm likely to be selling my Yamaha BEX, hollowbody (also has piezo for 'that' sound) so keep your eyes on the for sale section. Not quite a £1k bass but tbh for a couple hundred it'd give a few expensive basses a run for their money!

[/quote]

I really like the look of these basses in that colour. It reminds me of a Gretsch 6120.

How would you describe the tone of these? Is it the "plunk plunk" of a 60's hollow body, or is it more modern than that?

[quote name='bassaussie' post='814023' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:13 PM']How would you describe the tone of these? Is it the "plunk plunk" of a 60's hollow body, or is it more modern than that?[/quote]

Not so much of the old 'plunk plunk' as there is a steel tail piece under the bridge facing which couples to the centre block hence a lot more sustain; however, stick a bit of foam in there under the strings and with the piezo on full and no magnetic and you could get a very vintage tone... almost with a fretless kind of tone to it if that makes sense. The mix of mag and piezo, coupled with the B/M/T EQ sliders on the side of the body means that you can get quite an array of sounds out of it!