Why become a member? ×

Jaydee owners HELP!

lscolman

[quote name='lscolman' post='823099' date='Apr 29 2010, 03:41 PM']Hi,

Yep another day gone, another couple of options discussed with John.

This time, it's for an active/passive switch. Sounds like a plan. No idea where to place this! I wonder if it could be placed on the rear of the bass, slighting recessed in the control cavity. I don't like the standard silver toggle switches.

Definately decided against the XLR now.

Current plan for the LED switch is a smaller version of the standard pickup knob (which John has managed to source) This would be placed where the jack socket would normally be, and the jack socket located to the side of the body.

I've used Paint to play about with what it looks like.

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

Presumably from L to R: Pickup switch, vol, tone, active toggle, trable, middle, bass, led switch

For me (simple chap) I'd rather the led switch was round the back, especially if you succeed in getting the active switch there. (I would also lose the tone knob). Could the led switch be snuggled between the tuning machines?

[quote name='4 Strings' post='823104' date='Apr 29 2010, 03:50 PM']Presumably from L to R: Pickup switch, vol, tone, active toggle, trable, middle, bass, led switch

For me (simple chap) I'd rather the led switch was round the back, especially if you succeed in getting the active switch there. (I would also lose the tone knob). Could the led switch be snuggled between the tuning machines?[/quote]

Hi,

Yes, that's exactly it.

Just had another chat with John, and he confirmed that I can also use a Calibas body for the build (with 24 frets). As I'm not going for laminated, there is no difference in cost.

I really like the shape of the Calibas, and I think this would make the bass even more unique? There can't be many Calibas bodies in White (without the lamination). It's just as well it's nowhere near getting started with all these changes...

John really is a great guy and is always happy to discuss new options/changes.

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman

John is open to just about any alterations to standard Jaydee shapes n sizes, so you can play about with your design as much as you wish. Also, it'll be ages until he starts the actual build process, so you've got a while yet if you do change your mind on anything!

For my custom GA24 (see the picture OTPJ posted earlier in this thread) I took the basic GA body shape but had the horns sharpened a la Classic. I always preferred the size and shape of the GA body but wasn't too keen on its blunted horns. John also re-shaped the headstock to something completely the opposite of the classic Jaydee forked design. He'll also custom size any of the standard body shapes (if you're a bit on the slight side!)

So, keep thinking about what you want - it doesn't have to be committed to stone just yet!

Good luck with the wait my friend - mine took 16 months! It's bl**dy agonising but well worth it!

[attachment=48697:jaydee_design_3b.JPG]Hi,

I've now confirmed that I am going for a Calibas body, but there are three sizes. 4, 5 and 6 string body size. I'll take a look at some bodies when I go down to see John in a couple of weeks.

I've had a play with Paint again, and although this shows crescent inlays, which mine doesn't have. The second image shows 'roughly' what it will look like (at the moment)

The first image shows a Calibas with a tail? I'm in two minds as to whether I like the tail on Jaydee's.

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lscolman' post='810030' date='Apr 18 2010, 03:40 AM']Hi,

I'm going to ask Mr Diggins to build me a Jaydee.

I'm favouring an active roadie in white. What I can't decide upon are the options

[url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html[/url]

Which options do you think are worth going for?

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

The only real option my white Roadie came in was that it had the humbucking SN2000 pickups. And they sound fantastic and they are more powerful than the original SN2000 pickups. They have more of a midrange sound in the Roadie body that is made from solid mahoghany. I got my white Roadie from a gentleman in the U.S. who had it built for him. I'm planning to have my local luthier install a D.I. jack like the MK 1 and 2's have. I liked the all-chrome hardware that came with it also.

Cheers,

Hi Mowac,
It was your custom white roadie that inspired me to put my order in. It looks fantastic with the blue LED's.

Hi Stu,
That is a really nice job. Did you have that custom built for you? I love to see the real custom orders. Shows what can be done with a little imagination.

Small update on my order

32" scale
16.5mm spacing

Called in to see John on Friday, and the Calibas is definately the body for me... but as it's to be sprayed all white, I'm considering what to do with the arm groove that is cut out on the front? A different colour / original wood? I'd appreciate some input?

Cheers, Lee

[quote name='lscolman' post='838768' date='May 16 2010, 07:14 AM'][code]Hi Mowac,
It was your custom white roadie that inspired me to put my order in. It looks fantastic with the blue LED's.[/code]
Hi Stu,
That is a really nice job. Did you have that custom built for you? I love to see the real custom orders. Shows what can be done with a little imagination.

Small update on my order

32" scale
16.5mm spacing

Called in to see John on Friday, and the Calibas is definately the body for me... but as it's to be sprayed all white, I'm considering what to do with the arm groove that is cut out on the front? A different colour / original wood? I'd appreciate some input?

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

Thanks Lee,

However, my white Roadie doesn't have l.e.d.'s. Wished it had. The Roadie your speaking of is pictured in the photo gallery on the Jaydee website.