Why become a member? ×

The Big Clear Out - Roscoe

Scoop

I'm not gigging at the moment for health reasons and although I expect that to change for the better in the months to come I thought it might be time to have a good look through my 11 strong stable of basses and make some hard decisions.

I've decided to keep the essentials: My four ACGs are sacrosanct; and any future bands (if I decide I can be arsed again) insisting on "traditional" basses will be happy with my KSD Jazz or my Lakland Precision, so I'm keeping those two.

That leaves the following for sale....
Rickenbacker 4003 Blue Boy
[b]Roscoe SKB3005[/b]
Schecter Stiletto Studio 4 Fretless
Status Electro Mk1
Warwick Fortress One

In this thread, we'll deal with the Roscoe. An immaculate bass which I've owned from new. This bass has never been offered for sale before.

Price is firm.

Only trades I would consider are ACGs plus cash.

[b]A note to Tyre Kickers:[/b] Gosh, wouldn't it be lovely if it had three/four/six/eight/twelve strings because I just [i]know [/i]you'd have bitten my arm off and I already know how many of you would love it but are just too skint at the moment. Such a shame. Oh and it's neither overpriced nor underpriced. It's just priced. The quoted price is what I think it's worth. Your opinion on the subject doesn't matter.

[b]A note to genuinely interested parties:[/b] The first custom bass I ever got my hands on, I bought this new from Machine Head in 2004 or 2005. It has the best figured maple top I've ever seen. The finish is very dark emerald green. Scale is 35" and the fretboard's figuring is a natural seam between the heartwood and sapwood. The Roscoe hard/soft case is in very good condition except the zip has come away for about two or three inches and needs stitching back.

[url="http://img89.imageshack.us/i/img0103resizeui0.jpg/"][/url]

*Exhibition Grade Maple Top*

*Swamp Ash Body*

*African Tulipwood Fretboard*

*Purpleheart and Maple neck*

*Bartolini Pickups and Preamp*

*Hand Built*

*Immaculate A1++ Condition*

*All original. All works*

*Original Roscoe Case*

*To order a new one costs around £3,400*

This is yours, Ladies and Gentlemen, for the [b]exceptional price of £1995.[/b]

The bass is currently on Merseyside.

Paypal (as a gift), bank transfer or good old face to face cash in hand accepted. Shipping is at your expense and by your preferred courier.

[quote name='Scoop' post='809634' date='Apr 17 2010, 06:06 PM']The quoted price is what I think it's worth. Your opinion on the subject doesn't matter.[/quote]

Oooohhhhhhhhhh........... Charming.

In all fairness though it is a really nice Bass. I love Roscoes.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='815421' date='Apr 22 2010, 08:27 PM']I urge you to buy this! Roscoes are the best basses on the planet. This is a gorgeous example.[/quote]

Thanks Pete. Come on folks, fabulous bass for sale here.

QUOTE (Scoop @ Apr 17 2010, 06:06 PM)
The quoted price is what I think it's worth. Your opinion on the subject doesn't matter

The fact that it's not selling means that the opinion was probably correct. Also if I remember correctly Machinehead couldnt sell a number of Roscoes and blew them out for around £1200. The philosphy of selling gear on this site has always been that buyers and sellers are fair to each other.

Just my opinion and I'm aware that it doesnt matter...

Edited by CS2

[quote name='CS2' post='819370' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:49 PM']QUOTE (Scoop @ Apr 17 2010, 06:06 PM)
The quoted price is what I think it's worth. Your opinion on the subject doesn't matter

The fact that it's not selling means that the opinion was probably correct. Also if I remember correctly Machinehead couldnt sell a number of Roscoes and blew them out for around £1200. The philosphy of selling gear on this site has always been that buyers and sellers are fair to each other.

Just my opinion and I'm aware that it doesnt matter...[/quote]

Couldn't comment on the £1200 at Machinehead remark. If that's what they were selling them for after I bought mine then that's what they were selling them for. It's certainly nothing like what I paid for this one. Machinehead is in Hitchin, Hertfordshire. I'm based in Liverpool, so it's not like I was nipping in there day after day to see what Roscoe prices were like.

I apologise if your nose is out of joint; no wait, actually, I don't. This bass is worth about £2000 - that's what I'm selling it for. If you don't like the price I'm offering it at, fine by me. Don't buy it. I'll not sell for less. And if it's not selling, then I get to keep it. I'm not losing here.

As for being fair to both sides. How many times have we seen very fairly priced basses receiving comments like "these sell for £2.99 at Guitar Central" (or whatever) trying desperately to force the price down? How many times have we had low ball offers which are ludicrously off mark? That's what I mean by your opinion doesn't matter. The price I'm asking is what I beleive the bass to be worth; now is that clear and fair enough for you?

I think it's all a case of what people are prepared to pay. I recently tried to sell an immaculate Stingray, which I thought I'd sell easily for £800. Turns out I had to drop considerably.

I've never seen any Roscoes at Machinehead. If they had to job them out, more fools they. As a Roscoe user, I think they're one of the best basses on the planet. Mark at Bass Direct now imports them.

I must admit this is a rather gorgeous example.

Edited by Pete Academy

It's buyers Heaven and sellers Hell at the moment. People are just plain skint. If I were you I'd hang on until there's more cash around.

Mark at Bass Direct will probably sell it for you on commission, but you'll have to take a fair dive on the price.

Good luck with it, anyway.

[quote]"I already know how many of you would love it but are just too skint at the moment. Such a shame. Oh and it's neither overpriced nor underpriced. It's just priced. The quoted price is what I think it's worth. Your opinion on the subject doesn't matter."[/quote]

Sales pitch of the year! :)

[quote name='fretmeister' post='820411' date='Apr 27 2010, 11:03 AM']Straight swap for an Ampeg B5R head?

I had priced it to match your bass when it was £1995, but I can cope with losing a little value.[/quote]

Oh my aching sides.

Why do you sell it for less than it's worth ????

[quote]This bass is worth about £2000 - that's what I'm selling it for. If you don't like the price I'm offering it at, fine by me. Don't buy it. I'll not sell for less. And if it's not selling, then I get to keep it. I'm not losing here[/quote]

?????