Why become a member? ×

Mark King or Flea?

No1skewenjack

I was on the bus the other day and heard some college kids talking about they'er favourite bass player and they were taking about Flea. Saying he was one the best. I dont hear many younger people talk about Mark King. Would you consider him equal or better than flea? I prefer Mark King.

I know they are young but when I was younger I heard of B Edwards and B Collins.

Nobody is really better than anybody else. Sure, some guys are technically better than others (which usually means they can play more difficult things, or possibly more subtle, nuanced things) but in the end it all comes down to taste and context. Mark King is the best at being Mark King, and Flea the best at being Flea. Each is the best in their respective bands. Thats all you can really say.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='809509' date='Apr 17 2010, 03:59 PM']Nobody is really better than anybody else. Sure, some guys are technically better than others (which usually means they can play more difficult things, or possibly more subtle, nuanced things) but in the end it all comes down to taste and context. Mark King is the best at being Mark King, and Flea the best at being Flea. Each is the best in their respective bands. Thats all you can really say.[/quote]

You couldn't ask for a better answer

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='809491' date='Apr 17 2010, 03:36 PM']I was on the bus the other day and heard some college kids talking about they'er favourite bass player and they were taking about Flea. Saying he was one the best. I dont hear many younger people talk about Mark King. Would you consider him equal or better than flea? I prefer Mark King.

I know they are young but when I was younger I heard of B Edwards and B Collins.[/quote]
Ah, top trumps again. Personally, although I'd recognise Mark King's technical ability, I can't bear to listen to him or his band. Flea (and his band) I can listen to but I rarely do.

You might find other answers here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57484&hl=flea%20best&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...20best&st=0[/url]

Absolutely...

Adam Clayton is the perfect bass player for U2, just about the biggest band in the world and yet how would Adam fair in a bass-off with Jeff Berlin!!!.......Horses for courses as they say.

Too many young players become obsessed with best/fastest etc etc....
This is not an olympic event people....

[quote name='Bassistclem' post='809523' date='Apr 17 2010, 04:14 PM']Absolutely...

Adam Clayton is the perfect bass player for U2, just about the biggest band in the world and yet how would Adam fair in a bass-off with Jeff Berlin!!!.......Horses for courses as they say.

Too many young players become obsessed with best/fastest etc etc....
This is not an olympic event people....[/quote]
I'm already looking forward to the Clayton-Berlin bass-off. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='809538' date='Apr 17 2010, 04:31 PM']Flea has much better tone, IMO. I also like his style. Mark King is very talented....not my cup of tea though.[/quote]

That seems to be the consensus of opinion. "MK is very talented but i dont listen to him."

As for me, I'd preffer JJ burnell every time.

Flea is cool and i think the Chili Peppers are a fine band (last album boring though, sort of like the Clash with Sandinista!) I listen to flea and just think 'i'll never be able to do that' its deperessing, as i started bass so late i see him saying he started at 16 or whatever :)

I try it and all i hear from the amp is the clatter of my thumb clacking the string against the fretboard. How on earth does he do it?!

At least with The stranglers i can learn a few riffs and tunes.

Edited by daz

A lot of us say these types of conversations, discussions and debates are pointless. I disagree. I think they're an important part of a new musician's development. By figuring out what you like about other people's playing and music, you're also figuring out what you're all about musically.

[quote name='daz' post='809545' date='Apr 17 2010, 04:38 PM']That seems to be the consensus of opinion. "MK is very talented but i dont listen to him."

As for me, I'd preffer JJ burnell every time.

Flea is cool and i think the Chili Peppers are a fine band (last album boring though, sort of like the Clash with Sandinista!) I listen to flea and just think 'i'll never be able to do that' its deperessing, as i started bass so late i see him saying he started at 16 or whatever :)

I try it and all i hear from the amp is the clatter of my thumb clacking the string against the fretboard. How on earth does he do it?!

At least with The stranglers i can learn a few riffs and tunes.[/quote]

+1 for JJ Burnel - got me into loving bass guitar! I do like Flea, his playing on the blood,sugar,sex,magik album is amazing. As for Mark King, yeah hugely talented, I just don't listen to Level 42! Dream theater are one of my favourite bands, but I don't / can't play their songs, what John Myung can do will always be way beyond me! :rolleyes:

I like Mark King, i was brought up on Level 42, and eventually that evolved into Admiration for his talents as i became a Bassist. Thus ensued endless hours of trying to mimmick his style.

I Discovered Flea at about 12/13 and again hours of slappa da bass.

I like them both, and they've both done a hell of a lot to promote an grow the bass as an instrument.

So, who is better? Neither. Both are very good at what they do.

I on the other hand am a tragic mixup of the two, plus others.

Mark King - the man made some excellent chop heavy pop fusion, and made his band a pop success despite their limited singing talents! Really, Level 42 are just a keyboard player, a drummer and a bassist with excellent chops! He also has excellent taste in basses, excellent tone and he can groove much harder than Flea.

Flea just never interested me really.

In the end though, I like Mark but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='809954' date='Apr 17 2010, 11:45 PM']Where's Jaco when you need him...[/quote]

Jaco who?

I'm a huge Chilis fan and have just renewed my interest in Level 42. The answer is neither is better. They are both good, in fact they are both amazing players.

I'm better than both of them though. Not sure how you'd measure it but I just am I am a legend in my own lunch time.

I am of course kidding - when I was growing up the head honcho was Nathan East. Michael who?

I'm in the 'respect them both but find their music difficult to listen to' camp. If I had to vote then I'd go for Flea purely because I prefer RHCP's music.

Level 42 leave me colder than cold but I can only take RHCP in relatively small doses as well.

I do remember seeing some Flea / Chad Smith workout stuff that was really good though :)