Why become a member? ×

Rock School Graded Syllabus

No1skewenjack

Im gonna get stright to the point. Im about to get medicaly discharged from the Navy and will get a certian amount of resettlement allowences. I want to use my resettlement grant on my bass lessons, the only draw back being the grants can only be used on a course that is Level 3 or above i.e Nvq level 3, Higher education.

At what level would be equivilent to a level 3? :) If indeed you could translate Rock School Graded Syllabus to a level such as more well known forms of Educationl accreditation.

Thanks

I'm not really up on the whole NVQ/NQF level thing, but I do teach Rockschool exams.
Anyway this is taken from their website.....

Level 3:qualifications in Level 3 include all A Level grades (A-F) and specially designated Level 3 qualifications such as Rockschool's Awards, Certificate and Diploma for Music Practitioners, and MusicEducators and grades 6, 7 and 8 for Guitar, Bass, Drums, Popular Piano and Vocals.

[quote name='Doddy' post='805225' date='Apr 13 2010, 07:26 PM']I'm not really up on the whole NVQ/NQF level thing, but I do teach Rockschool exams.
Anyway this is taken from their website.....

Level 3:qualifications in Level 3 include all A Level grades (A-F) and specially designated Level 3 qualifications such as Rockschool's Awards, Certificate and Diploma for Music Practitioners, and MusicEducators and grades 6, 7 and 8 for Guitar, Bass, Drums, Popular Piano and Vocals.[/quote]

What he said.

Also, passes at Grades 6 - 8 can be used to count for points in a UCAS application (can't remember the numbers off the top of my head though). I'm pretty sure it applies to the RGT grades in the same way.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='805419' date='Apr 13 2010, 09:49 PM']What he said.

Also, passes at Grades 6 - 8 can be used to count for points in a UCAS application (can't remember the numbers off the top of my head though). I'm pretty sure it applies to the RGT grades in the same way.[/quote]

Yep. A grade 8 distinction is about the same as an A grade at AS level.

I did grade 6 Rockschool guitar and grade 8 RGT bass myself. I think if you just want a qualification Rockschool is easier because it's mostly about the pieces, whereas RGT focuses on scales/arpeggios/improv a lot. Then again, you might be amazing at improv and terrible at learning set pieces, in which case RGT is probably far easier :)