Why become a member? ×

Lightweight amps with Graphic EQ's

Wolverinebass

I've been wondering for ages why nobody has done a lightweight amp with a decent graphic EQ. Discounting the Superfly by Ashdown (for reliability problems) and the MoMark by Markbass that have rather primitive 6 or 7 band EQ's how come nobody has done one with a 10 band?

For some reason I like sliders rather than dials and yet the fashion at the moment is to have more dials than you can possibly imagine.

As much as I love my Hartke, I just can't be bothered with the weight sometimes and nobody seems to do something comparable. Anyone got any suggestions?

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='804153' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:02 PM']I've been wondering for ages why nobody has done a lightweight amp with a decent graphic EQ. Discounting the Superfly by Ashdown (for reliability problems) and the MoMark by Markbass that have rather primitive 6 or 7 band EQ's how come nobody has done one with a 10 band?

For some reason I like sliders rather than dials and yet the fashion at the moment is to have more dials than you can possibly imagine.

As much as I love my Hartke, I just can't be bothered with the weight sometimes and nobody seems to do something comparable. Anyone got any suggestions?[/quote]

I spotted a TBC on a lightweight unit by Peavey due to come out soon called the 'Headliner':

[url="http://www.peavey-eu.com/product_detail.php?flag=GB&lan=UK&key=3009"]http://www.peavey-eu.com/product_detail.ph...UK&key=3009[/url]

Picture: [url="http://www.peavey-eu.com/picture_display.php?sys=ALL&type=PDM_6_PL&level=PDM_6&tbl=system&def=A_3&key=7423"]http://www.peavey-eu.com/picture_display.p..._3&key=7423[/url]

It may have 7 bands on the graphic - but there's a whole multitude of other tonal options onbaord - so that may make up for it?

Errmmm How about the new Ibanez Promethean head? Again, a graphic and additional tone controls. Finally, the Markbass F500 features a parametric EQ which I think is just as flexible as a graphic. Infact I feel that in some ways it's better a graphic with tooo many bands. A phase nightmare if poorly designed.

Both of them seem reasonable, but I've been wondering about this for some time. I've never played either a Peavey or an Ibanez head. I remember once I used an old TC Electronic module which was something mental like a 32 band EQ into a power amp and that was genius.

I suppose my question should have been where does one get a lightweight amp with most of the features of the current Trace Elliots and doesn't weigh a ton or cost more money than Gordon Brown gave to Lloyds?

No doubt if it did exist, one would have to sell one's soul to satan to get it.

Graphic fronted bass amps are fantastic though you have to learn how to use them correctly with what else you have in the signal path. I think thats why a lot of people don't like them as you do need to spend a bit of time setting them up, as opposed to just dialling in a sound. I use both Graphics and Parametric EQ's and for bass I think the Graphics sound excellent.

I had a chat with a couple of Manufacturers at the MusikMesse and they all said that another reason they do not produce Graphic EQ's is that they are more expensive to produce

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='804547' date='Apr 13 2010, 08:25 AM']what ever amp you get you can get a graphic EQ pedal, im sure there must be one with more than 7 bands on.[/quote]
[url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=248&pmh=products/mxr"]MXR 10 band graphic EQ[/url]

I'd expect this would be a good option.

I wouldn't use a graphic pre with anything other than a passive Fender (or similar passive instrument) these days. I'd much prefer a semi paramtetric on my Trace but beggars cant be choosers and all...

Having said that, the MXR pedal Johnny lad points out seems to be a great Idea. Although I'm not sure i'd trust its bass-worthy ness.

[quote name='Captain Rumble' post='804412' date='Apr 12 2010, 11:38 PM'][url="http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=6"]http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=6[/url][/quote]

The idea was for a lightweight head - these things weigh more than some small countries.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='804563' date='Apr 13 2010, 08:54 AM']This is what you need from an EQ/preamp

[/quote]

Ooh nice. What's that from?

A

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='804734' date='Apr 13 2010, 12:02 PM']Thunderfunk. :)[/quote]

Aah, that explains a lot. Bit out of my league pricewise, but lovely.

And it's made by a guy called Dave Funk! Hell, I'd buy dogs**t in a bag from a guy called Dave Funk.

A

I suppose it's all taste really. Whilst some amps with dials are great, I generally don't get on with them simply because I kind of need the visual cue to shape really. I think the point about precision of either graphics or parametrics can be argued for some time and it's all what works for you and your sound.

The cost thing that Crez5150 mentions from manufacturers doesn't surprise me at all. Quite pathetic on their part really.

In my case, graphics tend to work best as I flick between sounds quite a lot and generally they don't sound quite right if you only use one setting. Possibly something like an old Trace MP11 would be the answer, but I'm sure someone is going to say that that preamp weighed about as much as the population of Texas.....

[quote name='jim_at' post='804788' date='Apr 13 2010, 12:41 PM']I'm not sure how light you're talking, but the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro is pretty small and light, with a decent full EQ.[/quote]

I would define "light" as 10kg or less. I'm not sure if that's the norm. My Hartke is 17 or 15.8kg once it's out the wooden casing. The Ampeg comes in at about 13kg if my conversion from lbs to kg is right.

Surely amp manufacturers are missing a trick here by not catering to those players who like me want almost obsessive compulsive control over their sound whilst not breaking their spines for it? Maybe it's just me...

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='804867' date='Apr 13 2010, 01:47 PM']I would define "light" as 10kg or less. I'm not sure if that's the norm. My Hartke is 17 or 15.8kg once it's out the wooden casing. The Ampeg comes in at about 13kg if my conversion from lbs to kg is right.

Surely amp manufacturers are missing a trick here by not catering to those players who like me want almost obsessive compulsive control over their sound whilst not breaking their spines for it? Maybe it's just me...[/quote]

Oddly enough I went down the route of uber lightweight amps (inc owning a new MB LMK & SA450 at the same time) but tbh I never found one that cut it tonewise! Hence I own a moderate weight amp that is easy enough to transport in a case via car, however I'd not want to lug it around on public transport. :)