Why become a member? ×

Midnight Rider

fryer

[quote name='fryer' post='802914' date='Apr 11 2010, 07:09 PM']Greg Allman wrote and performed this song, but who made it popular, a long time ago ? The version I am looking for has a nice, but simple, bass line. I can't get it out of my head.[/quote]
Erm, the Allman Brothers ... if that doesn't sound sarcy! But thats the one I always think of in respect of this song

[quote name='Clarky' post='802936' date='Apr 11 2010, 07:23 PM']Erm, the Allman Brothers ... if that doesn't sound sarcy! But thats the one I always think of in respect of this song[/quote]

No it's not that one, or Bob Seger, buddy miles, Joe Cocker, Juice, Kid Rock or Leanard Skynard. Or Marshall Tucker or Waylon Jennings.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='802947' date='Apr 11 2010, 07:34 PM']Yep, The Allmans did it and Gregg Allman also did it on his solo album, Laid back. It is a bit mellower on the solo album.

Jez[/quote]

The one i'm after is a bit mellow - I'll try and find that one. thanks

[quote name='beerdragon' post='802931' date='Apr 11 2010, 07:22 PM']There have been lots of versions of the song. Stephen stills version is a good one with a prominent bass line[/quote]

Closest so far, thanks, but still not the one i'm after.

[quote name='redstriper' post='803002' date='Apr 11 2010, 08:18 PM']This is my favourite version it was a top 10 hit for Paul Davidson back in 1976. Tropical records label. AL056.

[/quote]

That might be the one, but I can't hear the bass on this clip. Where can I get an mp3 of it ?

The Paul Davison Rocksteady version is brilliant, hypnotic stuff. Perfect rhythm guitar and that rolling bassline is a classic.
Spotify link here
[url="http://open.spotify.com/track/2kS5syMvx9VvVbJSHHSJNt"]http://open.spotify.com/track/2kS5syMvx9VvVbJSHHSJNt[/url]