Why become a member? ×

Instrument Cases - Your Options

Bought one of those ritter double bags that you put your bass in from the bottom most excellent probabbly done in the region of 500 gigs with it. Weighs a ton with two basses but there you go. Have a Warick case that came with my warick its okay and does the trick but is abit flimsy. I like the idea of a leather case any one any experiences?

My flight case is great but never gets used so I supose I should sell it...

Any one want to buy a flight case ha ha

• 1 month later...

Can anyone remember the place that makes aluminium cases with foam inside so you can cut your own shape? I want to get one to put my bass and XT Pro inside with the plug and in-ears, so I have it all in one case. The rack unit is really shallow so would fit in the gap next to the neck. The bass could even be angled in the case to allow more padding between the bits.

I seem to remember the place sold the cases for about £100, but can't find it now!

• 2 months later...
Guest TheBigBeefChief

Just got my hands on a Gibson Thunderbird Studio 4 - comes with a lovely Gibson hard-case lined with white fur. I want to make love to a woman inside it, perhaps in front of an open fire?

The only problem is that is weighs a tonne.

Just tried sticking the bass in a Ritter Bass Gig Bag, but due to the shape of the T-Bird, the headstock sticks out of the top.

Anyone know of an extra long gig bag thats worth trying? I'd qute like something T-Bird shaped but I have a feeling that this is a long shot.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• 3 months later...

As a suggested alternative to the incase slim bag from talkbass theres the Protec Contego Bass Guitar Case. Haven't used one but it looks pretty good and coming in at £85 in comaprison to £150 for the incase maybe more, and the fact tribal planet GX40 cases have been disscontinued, looks like a good buy.

[url="http://www.protecstore.com/items.aspx?ProductID=410&InstrumentID=5&InstrumentGroupID=4&CategoryID=2&subCategoryID=45"]PROTEC LINK[/url]

They seem to be coming into the Uk shortly: [url="http://www.bill-lewington.com/protec/pt_fret.htm"]http://www.bill-lewington.com/protec/pt_fret.htm[/url]

Ortho I haven't enquired as to when they will arrive. Hope this might help someone, i'll be getting one when my wariwck case gets too bad it wont close.

Cheers

Sug

Edited by Sugden

I use a mixture of cases -

All of my acoustics are in Hiscox cases. I like these and they seem pretty indestructible.

My Les Paul lives in a TKL case but I've found that it scratches badly and the stitching seems vulnerable.

My Telecaster and my Squier VM Precision live in Coffin Cases. How good they are for protection I don't know as I haven't really gigged them yet but for looks they are great! Website is here : [url="http://www.coffincase.com"]Coffin Cases[/url]

I also have a fibreglass case for my mandolin but it seems to ding and scratch badly as well.

Andy :)

I recently bought two Warwick cases of the condensed foam type, lightweight and strong. They were about £30 each from Tomman. I took the bulky pocket off the front and put on a couple of stickers and now I think I have a nice set of decent cases for my babies:

Spoke to poptart at Bass Direct RE incase bags as I fancy a double bass bag and he is hopefully going to get a few in stock so if you fancy one give him a shout - the more people interested the more worthwhile it will be for him to get some.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Ghetox' post='183250' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:11 PM']I have a a gator hardcase, which is a pain in the ass.:)[/quote]

+1000 on the Gator hardcase for bass, it's crap. Thinking of skipping mine and buying a good case that actually fits any bass I own. I've heard Stagg bass cases are even worse. The hardcase that came with my Stingray is fantastic though, purpose built fitted case which is slim and light and robust.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='183274' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:29 PM']+1000 on the Gator hardcase for bass, it's crap. Thinking of skipping mine and buying a good case that actually fits any bass I own. I've heard Stagg bass cases are even worse. The hardcase that came with my Stingray is fantastic though, purpose built fitted case which is slim and light and robust.[/quote]
I've got a gator, i thought it was alright but the hardware seems a little flimsy, next time maybe a warwick tolex case, i just love the look.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='183432' date='Apr 23 2008, 02:29 AM']I've got a gator, i thought it was alright but the hardware seems a little flimsy, next time maybe a warwick tolex case, i just love the look.[/quote]

those warwick tolex cases look like great value at around £40, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience with them.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='183563' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:18 AM']those warwick tolex cases look like great value at around £40, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience with them.[/quote]
Exactly what i thought, i'd love one just for the vintage look, give it a good drag around on the pavement first :) (and at £40 i can almost afford to do so... ALMOST haha)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='184808' date='Apr 24 2008, 08:21 PM']Exactly what i thought, i'd love one just for the vintage look, give it a good drag around on the pavement first :) (and at £40 i can almost afford to do so... ALMOST haha)[/quote]

thinking about it i might just take a gamble on it, how wrong can i go with a £40 warwick hard case?

...famous last words

I've got one of the Warwick Rockbass hardcases (came with the Aerodyne via GuitarEmporium), it's not listed on Warwick's site, but apart from being a heavy thing, it's really solid.

Can't really go wrong with the Warwick imo for storage or carrying to/from car, just don't try to walk long distances with it.

Not the best picture, but you can see it here:

Edited by Buzz

Ok..the black Warwick tolex case has been ordered this morning from SoundsLive.co.uk. No idea when delivery will be but I'd hope to have it by the end of next week.

I'll post some pics and give a small review once I've used it a few times. Fingers crossed it's a gooden

The Warwick Tolex case just arrived and I've got to say that I am very impressed by it for the money it cost (approx £45 inc delivery). However, on first impressions it does seem a little cheaply made but it does fit my Warwick Thumb very nicely - much better than the Gator that I was using for it.
I'll review it in the Reviews thread in a couple of weeks once uni is over and I've had a chance to gig it a bit and see how it stands up to a bit of abuse.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='187533' date='Apr 28 2008, 08:08 PM']Does it fit most standard sized basses like the gator case? say... a musicman... or a tobias? :)[/quote]

Yeah it should do, can't see any reason why it wouldn't, but why would you want to put your musicman in a warwick case when it comes with its own fantastic purpose built case? It seems to be pretty versatile, it fits all my basses anyway although one thing I would say is that the neck support near the headstock is quite tight so it's a bit of a squeeze for those wider neck basses (Stingray, P-Bass etc...)

It's a good case for the money anyway and i seriously doubt that there's anything better for £40.

Actually - I've just realised it's the same as buzz's case...check it out ^^

The white stripes match my Ampeg SVT rig :brow: = +6% cool factor

[quote name='budget bassist' post='187730' date='Apr 29 2008, 12:51 AM']My sub didn't come with a case (bought used with a pretty hefty gig bag), hence having to buy a gator and maybe a warwick case.

And would a 5 string toby probably not fit then? neckwise that is[/quote]

ah, well I'd deffo recommend the fitted musicman case. The one that came with my stingray is really solid - the most solid non-flight case that I've ever owned.

As for 5 strings; i can see it being a very tight fit. On my Warwicks it's a snug fit and those basses aren't exactly known for their wide necks.

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='budget bassist' post='188222' date='Apr 29 2008, 05:33 PM']Yeah i know but EBMM OHSCs retail at about £120 :) they may be good cases but i doubt they're £120 good.[/quote]

Possibly, but for £120 you could get a solid fitted flightcase if you go looking. I wouldn't have paid that much for it if it didnt come with the bass but it is by far the best moulded plastic hard case that I've come across.

Get yourself one of the Warwick cases :huh: @ £40 new it's a drop in the ocean when looking at the bigger picture

I don't think it's worth getting a £120 case for a £350 bass tbh. If i had a ray or sterling or something then yeah, definately, but not for a sub. Also aren't solid flight cases really heavy? Though i did see a really nice aluminium one for about £80, looked really nice actually. Actually [url="http://www.giggear.co.uk/home/index.php?m=shop&prodid=2117"]here[/url] it is, not as nice as i remember... maybe if the aluminium had that diamond plate pattern, that would look really cool.

I may get a warwick one some time though, stick the musicman in that, the tobias in the gator and i'm laughing. Does the warwick seem stronger though at first appearance? I know you've not really had a chance to use and abuse it yet but ya know... also what colour did you go with? i really like black tolex :)