Why become a member? ×

Instrument Cases - Your Options

Essentially for full protection there are 4 options of cases going up in cost: Gigbags+case; Moulded plastic cases; Wood/aluminium flight cases; Military Hardware cases.

[b]Gigbags:[/b]
Ritter - good quality, do a range of sizes so something usually fits
Warwick - as above, but less 'features' (phone pockets etc.)
Overwater leather - nice but very expensive at £200
Harvest leather - probably where Overwater source theirs from, £15 cheaper, but increased postage

Gig bags can be put in other cases such as the specifically designed SKB BassSafe if going on a plane that will offer a good amount of protection too.

[b]Hard/semi plastic cases:[/b]
INCASE - from the states, consdered the best thing between a hard and soft case on TalkBass, they have no UK distribution and only use expensive shipping so Bleedproof was looking at getting a large order together, but that's not been mentioned in a while.
Hiscox - great UK manufacture, my personal preferance.

[b]Flight cases:[/b]
BUSTERCASES.
www.bustercases.com
tel:0161 761 2040.
fax:0161 761 6040

Spider Engineering: Tamworth (near Reading),

Protech Sound & Light (1)
Unit 1a, Sedbury Trading Estate, Grahamstown Rd, Sedbury, Chepstow, Gwent NP16 7AD
Tel: 01291 630410

[b]Military hardware cases:[/b]
Google [i]explorer[/i] or [i]pelican[/i] cases. Made from high strength plastics, these are very expensive but can be made air tight and will take any punishment and are usualy lighter that a flight case

Don't forget the legendary SKB Bass Safe................it's a steal at less than £100. Put your bass in it's gig bag inside and off you go !!

Great piece of kit and at timeof writing I've done over 200 flights with mine !

Both Easyjet and Ryanair have so far failed to destroy it, and when they do, SKB will replace it free of charge !!

S

:) Already mentioned (below Gigbags), but it certainly needed emphasising, as would any comments people have of gear the wouldn't survive.

For example, the moulded plastic Gator Range I'd be happy to take to a gig, but I wouldn't want to let Parclefarce get hold of one. Edited by Alpha-Dave

Calton (UK) - moulded hard cases,made to order and to fit a specific instrument. All the "acoustic" people I work with use them and rate highly. Expensive and heavy, but the best I've seen.

I'd also vote for the Hiscox - not too pricey but mine has survived countless flights and vans with only exterior damage - very impressed. I recently got a Harvest canvas bag (from Overwater). Very nice, seems strong but the back straps are set very high so you can't go through a door without taking it off your shoulder. I'll update in a few weeks when its done some work.

BB

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='9215' date='May 30 2007, 02:13 PM']Both Easyjet and Ryanair have so far failed to destroy it, and when they do, SKB will replace it free of charge !!

S[/quote]

would they replace what's inside it as well??!

+1 for hiscox, you can't beat em for the money. I've got 3 that i use for electric and acoustic guitars and a bass and they're extremely rigid and light - much better than the gator one my semi is in and the current crop of fender moulded rubbish (the lid doesn't line up with the base on mine and the lining is falling out!)

a (possibly rare) negative for Hiscox here. After two tours (one 12 day, one 16 day) and one international trip (flying glasgow -> NYC -> glasgow) the case was left useless. Two of the catches were no longer latching properly, the shell was cracked, and the hinges had started to come loose, and the lock had stopped functioning.

Before you say 'you obviously don't treat it carefully enough then' - On the same flight and same tours I took my backup bass in a regular fender issue hardcase. This case is still with me a year (and 3 tours) later and is practically as good as new, and received exactly the same treatment in load in/out etc.

Anyone know a dealer who stocks [url="http://www.hardcase.com/guitar_cases.htm"]THESE[/url]?

[attachment=658:bass_guitar_case.jpg]

I wouldn't mind trying one but cant find a dealer who stocks them, or has a price. They've all got the drum cases :)

I had an incase, unfortunatly it was stolen along with my 'ray in November. I can't rate them highly enough, the only down side is the weight (especially once you fill the back pack bit with gig stuff).

I'd love another one, but they won't shp outside the US + shipping was about $200 last time!

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='7716' date='May 27 2007, 05:45 PM']Protech Sound & Light (1)
Unit 1a, Sedbury Trading Estate, Grahamstown Rd, Sedbury, Chepstow, Gwent NP16 7AD
Tel: 01291 630410[/quote]

I can vouch for these guys, they've done 3 custom cases for me over the past few years and the attention to detail is superb as well as the service; they will go through your exact requirements and make suggestions that I've found invaluable.

Ask for Justin...

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='7716' date='May 27 2007, 05:45 PM']Ritter - good quality, do a range of sizes so something usually fits[/quote]

Well, I don't know if I've got a "Friday afternoon" Ritter but it was the top of the range when I brought it, at bout £70, and is now ripping apart along several seams. Looks like a flawed design to me.

If I had the dosh I'd go for a Reunion Blues Leather gig bag. The Overwater looks similar. I'll never get another Ritter though.

[quote name='chris_b' post='22597' date='Jun 24 2007, 11:04 AM']Well, I don't know if I've got a "Friday afternoon" Ritter but it was the top of the range when I brought it, at bout £70, and is now ripping apart along several seams. Looks like a flawed design to me.[/quote]

I bought a Ritter which fell apart immediately - fabric split at the seams. They send a replacement - fabric split at the seams again and the zip pull snapped. They sent me their top model, I've had it some time now but the fabric started suffering after very little time. It's so damn big though that I take my bass loose and keep a simple raincover gigbag in my general stuff tote bag.

Alex

[quote name='andyonbass' post='16992' date='Jun 13 2007, 04:12 PM']Anyone know a dealer who stocks [url="http://www.hardcase.com/guitar_cases.htm"]THESE[/url]?

[attachment=658:bass_guitar_case.jpg]

I wouldn't mind trying one but cant find a dealer who stocks them, or has a price. They've all got the drum cases :)[/quote]

idrums.co.uk

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='7716' date='May 27 2007, 07:45 PM'][b]Hard/semi plastic cases:[/b]
INCASE - from the states, consdered the best thing between a hard and soft case on TalkBass, they have no UK distribution and only use expensive shipping so Bleedproof was looking at getting a large order together, but that's not been mentioned in a while.
Hiscox - great UK manufacture, my personal preferance.[/quote]
The Sadowsky Portabag falls in this category too. It's a lot like the InCase but lighter and possibly better designed. I have one and it's amazing. The total price including shipping wasn't that much either.

I am still looking for the perfect case solution for me. Basically I want a bag that's perfect for carrying in the Underground during rush hour when soundchecks usually are. I believe the InCase does fit the bill, apart from the fact you can't get them in this country! <_ i have my hiscox case which do like and has survived nuclear holocausts. but it going to be impractical carry now plan on bringing epi ul110 with me the tube.>
Anyways, this is what would be perfect for me:

-Obviously good padding
-Good support for pin strap at the bottom of the bag
-Removable straps
-Strong and comfortable side handle
-Well placed front handle, high enough so one can carry it and it will balance
-Enough space for a Mark Bass LMII

If I could design one myself, I would also include a side handle higher up the bag. This is so you could walk with the bag against your chest whilst walking in tight squeezes. You see, I end up walking with the bag held against my chest and my arm underneath the higher top pocket (if you get what I mean).

Anyways, I'm off to check out this Sadowsky Portabag. :)

EDIT: It looks really good. But can anyone tell me if you can fit a Mark Bass LMII in the Portabag?

Edited by s_u_y_*

I had one like this before: [url="http://secure.sadowsky.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=155"]http://secure.sadowsky.com/store/product_i...products_id=155[/url] it was really good and didn't weigh much at all.

Well, just measured it... It might just fit, or might not fit by a little. My bet is it doesn't fit, but I won't be surprised at all if it does. I would email Sadowsky and ask about it, they might have tried it or know someone who does exactly that (I bet you're not the first one to think of it!).

I use Undercover cover gigbags with all my equipment. I get them from BassCentral in the states which means you do have to pay shipping, but they really are great gigbags. The padding is excellent, strap placement is a little high but they do the job more than amply.

Check em out!!

DaN

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='26185' date='Jul 2 2007, 07:38 PM']Well, just measured it... It might just fit, or might not fit by a little. My bet is it doesn't fit, but I won't be surprised at all if it does. I would email Sadowsky and ask about it, they might have tried it or know someone who does exactly that (I bet you're not the first one to think of it!).[/quote]

Thanks mate, I appreciate the effort. I did email them, but didn't receive a reply. It would be great if Mark Bass released a gig bag that would carry both a bass and the MB LMII, plus a few bits and bobs. emm... I might just email them about that.

Failing that, if anyone has any other suggestions for a good gig bag that would accomodate a Mark Bass head, do tell! :)

[quote name='kjb' post='28441' date='Jul 7 2007, 10:29 PM']The Gallery in Camden are getting some Incase bags in, they should arrive end of next week, if anyones interested.[/quote]

emm... how much they gonna charge for those badboys? Would they be the only stockists in the UK then? Even Europe perhaps?