Why become a member? ×

Fender Serial numbers

PJ Phillips

You can't date an E serial MIJ from the serial number alone - 84-87 is as close as you're going to get with just that info. I'm not sure exactly when the Jazz Bass Special came out, but that might cut down the possibilities somewhat. I've got the vague recollection that the contemporary series (which your bass would have been part of - it's got the black headstock and same logo anyway) came out about '86, though I may well be wrong about that. Other than that you've got to strike lucky and get a date in the neck pocket somewhere (which might be in a japanese format). I don't think you can date them from pot codes.

Sorry that's a bit vague, but then I'm a bit vague at the best of times. :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='801960' date='Apr 10 2010, 06:01 PM']The fender website?[/quote]

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply.
I tried the Fender site and all I could find was with the E + 6 number serial number it would have been 1984-87.
That seems a bit on the vague side :0)
What year were you born Mr Phillips? "oooh 1960 something..."

Thanks for the post mate
Cheers pj

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='801968' date='Apr 10 2010, 06:08 PM']They are harder to pin down but [url="http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php"]http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php[/url][/quote]

Thanks BB,
Tried that too, the same page came up
appreciate the help mate
Cheers
PJ

[quote name='Musky' post='801997' date='Apr 10 2010, 06:32 PM']You can't date an E serial MIJ from the serial number alone - 84-87 is as close as you're going to get with just that info. I'm not sure exactly when the Jazz Bass Special came out, but that might cut down the possibilities somewhat. I've got the vague recollection that the contemporary series (which your bass would have been part of - it's got the black headstock and same logo anyway) came out about '86, though I may well be wrong about that. Other than that you've got to strike lucky and get a date in the neck pocket somewhere (which might be in a japanese format). I don't think you can date them from pot codes.

Sorry that's a bit vague, but then I'm a bit vague at the best of times. :)[/quote]

I got me Sherlock Magnifying Glass out but no luck unfortunately, you've definitely given me some ideas though now. I didn't know it was called the contemporary series, so that's a great start.
Cheers
PJ

Try the 21frets.com forum, tis a Fender Japan specific website with a LOT of info about the early Squiers and subsequent models.
The main website is more about JV's and SQ's etc, but on the forum itself, there's a lot of info about Japanese instruments in general

Si