Why become a member? ×

Clear pickguard + color printer

Vibrating G String

[quote name='urbanx' post='805998' date='Apr 14 2010, 05:14 AM']I'm liking these! I'd like a chrome pick guard, but don't even want to think how much it'd cost to get made![/quote]
How about mirrored? That can be found ready made for about the price of a normal one.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='806496' date='Apr 14 2010, 12:42 PM']I really like that idea of changing the layer under the clear plate to suit mood etc. Nice one! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Unfortunately on mine I have a huge hole routed under the PG since I'm a nut for shaving weight. I had to use a spray adhesive to attach the print or it would sag. On a more standard bass you should be able to get away with just the screws holding it flat against the body. That's how the first one I saw was done, seen here being played by Jaco :) You get a decent look in the last few seconds of the video of the infamous "Corn Flakes" bass.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='805769' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:52 AM']One of the other ideas I toyed with, and probably the best one, was the no screws look. Seen here in a mock up. If this was as easy as getting a clear pickguard I may have gone this way.
[attachment=47259:Fender_no_Screws.jpg][/quote]

That looks rather sexy. Any thoughts on how to achieve this? Maybe grub screws and magnets. Mmmm. I am going to steal this idea, come up with a cost effective way of achieving it and make a fortune!

Muuuhhahhahhahaha.

[quote name='paul h' post='806822' date='Apr 15 2010, 09:02 AM']That looks rather sexy. Any thoughts on how to achieve this? Maybe grub screws and magnets. Mmmm. I am going to steal this idea, come up with a cost effective way of achieving it and make a fortune!

Muuuhhahhahhahaha.[/quote]
Blu-tack ? Double-sided sticky tape ?

[quote name='paul h' post='806822' date='Apr 15 2010, 01:02 AM']That looks rather sexy. Any thoughts on how to achieve this? Maybe grub screws and magnets. Mmmm. I am going to steal this idea, come up with a cost effective way of achieving it and make a fortune!

Muuuhhahhahhahaha.[/quote]
I was thinking the double sided tape they use to hold pickguards onto acoustic guitars as it's quite thin or maybe a bit of spray adhesive like 3M77. On the Jazz style there is nothing mounted to the PG so you wouldn't need much strength. Much tougher on a P Bass.

I was thinking of a mint color. Combined with the lack of poles from the Barts the screwless PG would give it a nice clean vintage/tech look.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='807928' date='Apr 16 2010, 01:27 AM']I was thinking the double sided tape they use to hold pickguards onto acoustic guitars as it's quite thin or maybe a bit of spray adhesive like 3M77. On the Jazz style there is nothing mounted to the PG so you wouldn't need much strength. Much tougher on a P Bass.

I was thinking of a mint color. Combined with the lack of poles from the Barts the screwless PG would give it a nice clean vintage/tech look.[/quote]

A bit like my GB Spitfire you mean… Held on by Bernie's magic powers…