Why become a member? ×

Bass recording

igloobuilding

Hi there I have recently recorded a 4 track bass EP if you fancy having a listen head over to my [url="http://soundcloud.com/iansmart"]Soundcloud page[/url] this is my first bass only recording and I hope to do more in the future.

Have a listen and let me know what you think would be great for some feedback

Thanks

Ian

Here are the details of the recording:

In October 2009 I played a solo bass set that comprised of original material for the 'Big Draw' event at 'Westgate Studios'. A few months after the event I decided to go into the studio and record the pieces a wrote for the event.

The 4 tracks feature a Musicman Stingray bass guitar played through a Roland Cube 30 bass amp, a boss rc2 loop station, a digitech whammy pedal and sansamp bass driver DI.

The idea behind the project was to make the bass guitar the lead instrument in the performance through the use of loops and effects

Track 1 track uses a simple loop idea with the lead bass playing over the top
Track 2 is single bass playing chords and harmonics
Track 3 is a follow on from track 2 and layers 4 bass parts all playing over the top of each other
Track 4 is an experiment in changing the focus of a song towards the effects used and how they change over time, I have used both reverb and delay and automated the effects

Thanks to the help of Ray Tovey who kindly recorded the tracks and spent many an hour mixing them, please visit Ray's website at [url="http://raytovey.com/"]http://raytovey.com/[/url] or his soundcloud page raytovey

Good to hear something a bit different. I did something similar when at uni, but its was electro-acoustic (Art composition bollocks!). Yours is nice and melodic. Liked track one the best, don't know if drums were meant to be lo-fi but i liked it. Te last one on the page sounded a tad like jaco but was good.
People must have liked it cos you've had 38 listens and no criticism. people don't tend to leave any comments unless it criticism. I've had the same amount on mine but no comments.
Good work (don't mean to sound patronising)

[quote name='Lord Sausage' post='803971' date='Apr 12 2010, 06:14 PM']Good to hear something a bit different. I did something similar when at uni, but its was electro-acoustic (Art composition bollocks!). Yours is nice and melodic. Liked track one the best, don't know if drums were meant to be lo-fi but i liked it. Te last one on the page sounded a tad like jaco but was good.
People must have liked it cos you've had 38 listens and no criticism. people don't tend to leave any comments unless it criticism. I've had the same amount on mine but no comments.
Good work (don't mean to sound patronising)[/quote]

Cheers for the feedback. Your right about the drums, they are the standard drum sound you get on the Boss RC2 Loopstation, we recorded the drums through my roland amp and then tried to make them sound a bit on the dirty side. Have you got a link for your stuff? Would like a listen.
Cheers again

Ian

[quote name='igloobuilding' post='803990' date='Apr 12 2010, 06:43 PM']Cheers for the feedback. Your right about the drums, they are the standard drum sound you get on the Boss RC2 Loopstation, we recorded the drums through my roland amp and then tried to make them sound a bit on the dirty side. Have you got a link for your stuff? Would like a listen.
Cheers again

Ian[/quote]
i do a few things. I play bass in an heavy rock band. That stuff is on here in this recording section under- Opinions- i would like some opinions on my bands music.
i also sing in a bizarre comedy rock band that stuff is on myspace/bandofgold08
the individual composition stuff i do ranges from standard jazzy fusion stuff to bizarre almost unlistenable minimalist/maximalist. But none of that is ready for public consumption yet.