Why become a member? ×

The Original Bass Institute (1980's)

iamthewalrus

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1274892348' post='848742']
I went to the one above the Bass Centre run by Tony Muschamp, loads of really useful music theory and practical advice went in one ear and out the other :blush:

Just did the Saturday 10 week course and was taught by a slightly scary guy called Silas Maitland who played bass for Geno Washington, also by Si Mulvey a couple of times.

Must have been late 80s or early 90s.
[/quote]

Heh heh! Likewise... I did the Saturday course too, can't remember much about it though. Probably around 1990...

I do remember the bass teacher bloke had a creamy white Yamaha bass and a mullet - was that Tony Muschamp? I also remember that the drum teacher played for Geno Washington's band.

I auditioned for the Music Performance degree at the Bass Institute back in 2004/2005 if memory serves. I think it was Terry Gregory who did my audition in a coffee lounge without an amp because there were no practice rooms available! I got a place but didn't end up going because I couldn't afford to live in London at the time. Looking back I probably could have figured something out financially if I'd have thought about it but then hindsight is always 20/20! I do remember the course fees being exceptionally high even back then (pre university topup).

Quote "I wonder did anyone else do Lawrence Canty's short course 'Reading For Bass Clef' at Goldsmith's College back in the early 90's?"

I did it in '90 or '91. How I wish now I'd paid more attention & practiced! Still, another guy on the course made me a Les Paul shaped electric mandolin which my wife still has. That's unfortunately the most tangible benefit I got from it 🙁

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1493111031' post='3285609']

Some of their celebrity success stories are a bit iffy. Would be interesting to know how genuine some of the claims of celebrity alumni are.
[/quote]

What are their claims? That they secretly taught pro players a few tricks?

I went to TM's Wednesday night cash crop in 1987 when I was 19. He's a great player but not a great teacher. Jaco died that year and all we did was pay homage to him for 10 weeks I went to see his band (The Institute Band) a few times which was amazing (like a UK Elektrik band).

But it was a golden era for bass players and I for one will remember those days fondly. Sadly my talent was limited and had to work hard to reach my goals, but I can still do a good Mark King and Marcus Miller impression 30 years later

Joe

• 1 year later...

Hi there chaps! Old thread but I hope someone out there is still listening...

I went to The Bass Institute in 88 and had lessons with Rob, Terry etc.

I used to skip school and just play workshops all day long - brilliant. I was about 15 at the time.

Did the 10 week evening course and eventually ended up buying a Wal 5 string which I still have today.

I have a question - does anyone have any of the workshop notation charts from that time? I played a jazz/funk tune in a workshop that had loads of slap and it was a sax melody. Alan Limbrick loved playing this tune. I for the life of me can't remember the damn name of the song and it's driving me insane. I can still sing the melody and even still slap the bassline.

This is a bonkers long shot but if anyone can help I'd be able to sleep at night!

Cheers, J :)

Guest subaudio

I didn't got to B.I.T. in the late 80s but did do a ten week bass course at it's rival, The Bass School in London.

I later had private lessons at B.I.T. in the 90s.

On 09/04/2010 at 14:56, witterth said:

I allways enjoyed Lawrence Cantys stuff (journalistic that is..) in "making music" a free, but suprisingly good magazine from music shops in late 80's ,mostly ads but come good copy!!

Making Music was a great resource pre-interweb.  I remember reading in it that Jaco Pastorious had been killed (alongside a very unflattering photo of him with no 2 buzz cut)  and being heartbroken that I'd now never get to see him play.  

4 hours ago, jacko said:

Making Music was a great resource pre-interweb.  I remember reading in it that Jaco Pastorious had been killed (alongside a very unflattering photo of him with no 2 buzz cut)  and being heartbroken that I'd now never get to see him play.  

Making Music was always a great read. Made sure I picked one up every month from our local ABC music or on a trip up to that London. 

Wracking my brains... Tony Muschamp... was he the instructor who was a leftie and played a rather nice Aria SB series bass? Or am I thinking of another of the BIT, Bass Institute, Bass Tech etc team? Always enjoyed his playing at London Guitar Shows and the like.

17 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Making Music was always a great read. Made sure I picked one up every month from our local ABC music or on a trip up to that London. 

Wracking my brains... Tony Muschamp... was he the instructor who was a leftie and played a rather nice Aria SB series bass? Or am I thinking of another of the BIT, Bass Institute, Bass Tech etc team? Always enjoyed his playing at London Guitar Shows and the like.

That sounds like Terry Gregory.

He is/was an upside down lefty (Bassist, not Politician). 

Edited by lowdown

13 hours ago, lowdown said:

That sounds like Terry Gregory.

He is/was an upside down lefty (Bassist, not Politician). 

That’s it. That’s who I was thinking of! 

terry_web_0_0_0.jpg?itok=b9WuqRoz

Used to get those two confused. Both good players. Properly good!

• Like 1