Why become a member? ×

The Ken Smith Thread

lee650

Andy, that does look lovely! Those wood topped Burners have always looked good! I find Smith basses very interesting because outside of Fodera and Alembic they are probably the highest profile handmade American basses. They are very acute in what they do they, I have found them all to have a very focused tone, relying heavily on the midrange. It's a very nice sound for fingerstyle playing but I've always thought if the gig calls for something other than that deep, burpy sound you'd be taking a knife to a gunfight.

Still, they look nice and play well. I'd still like to own one someday, but the handful that I've played have never really "hit the spot" for me. Good, but not something I'd consider to be absolutely top line. Far more interesting than a Fender though!

I have really been impressed with the Smith sound and build quality since picking up the Burner 6. So much so that I'm going to buy a full on USA 6 string as in my WANTED thread.
The only problem with buying a Smith is trying to find a Smith for sale........They are so rare that my search has ground to a halt. The only way to get a Smith at this moment is to import one from the US and take a large hit from the custom duties and VAT.
I would really recommend the Burner range if you want to dip your toe into the Smith sound as they give around 80% of the sound for a lot less money.

Its good to see we have a Burner following.

It was interested when Hadriend Feraud appeared and he was playing his Burner everywhere - one of the top line wooden topped ones. IIRC He got a USA Ken Smith bass but then endedup playing the Burner fulltime because he preferred the feel and sound!

As I've said they do sound good but I don't think they're quite up there with the big boys like Fodera and Alembic in terms of amazing tonal quality. They can sound so compressed off the bat sometimes, which can make that lovely midrange honky and silly sounding.

Thats bloody lovely Andy!! ive been doing some research on the burners myself and the stuff ive seen on youtube ( playing aside) the tone is fantastic, really really good basses, i bet your dead chuffed, whats the top wood on that is it walnut? i will wager its very very close to the USA smiths, probably too close for kens liking anyway

:) probably doesnt need it, but i wonder if those nordstrands you have would benefit it :) congrats on a great buy, we must meet up with matt (overwater #1) and compare smiths, he,s got a posh black tiger!!

Hi mate,

It's Walnut top, Maple, Mahogany core, Maple and Walnut back with a Curly Maple centre block.

I read that Ken Smith cut these Walnut tops and sent them over to Japan. It's strange, on the Smith forum he's sometimes very complimentary about the Burners and other times he tries to avoid answering questions about them.

It's a fantastic bass - The nice thing is it's not very 'typical' sounding, the Slap tone is really tidy and it will to modern fast fingerstyle.

A real shame it seems I may not be keeping hold of it, as i'm thinking I should have kept to my my one in, one out rule...and the CC bill is about to land.

The Nordstrands have ended up in my Jazz, and they've made a great improvement without losing the basses character - The smith wouldn't need them, it sounds fantastic as it is!

Wow Andy, that would be a very quick turnaround! You've only just got it! Was it a case of the GAS coming to bite you and then the bass not quite living up to the expectations?

No, it's bills, and Wals - Big problem for me.

This is an amazing bass.

Put a feeler out for it, just to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='linchoun' post='1033904' date='Nov 23 2010, 02:09 PM']Take a look to my belove 92 BT6 !

She play like a dream...

[url="http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=617506P1010420jpg.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=129322DSC02442jpg.jpg"][/url][/quote]

Thats a goergeous smith right there, thanks for contributing some nice pics to my thread :) still need to see more smith owners coming forward, mind you i proabably wont have mine long :)

[quote name='voxpop' post='1034253' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:18 PM']How about my new BT6.......... Only 2 weeks old.....:)

[attachment=64791:DSC_0007.JPG]

[attachment=64794:DSC_0012.JPG]

[attachment=64793:DSC_0005.JPG]

[attachment=64795:DSC_0015.JPG][/quote]

Thats so nice it's making my head spin! Gorgeous! :)

Thanks guys...........this is the only bass that has completely halted my bass buying GAS.

Truly awesome piece of kit.................The very best build quality and sound.

+1 - That my friend is a thing of great beauty. and i totally agree when i got mine i lost interest in getting ay more basses, ive been gas free for a year, absolutely stunning bass congratulations.
all these posh smiths are making mine look quite plain :)
How did your burner compare?

+1 - That my friend is a thing of great beauty. and i totally agree when i got mine i lost interest in getting ay more basses, ive been gas free for a year, absolutely stunning bass congratulations.

all these posh smiths are making mine look quite plain :)
How did your burner compare?

The Burner is about 85% of the sound for around 25% of the cost. A true 'bargain' compared to the USA offerings.
My old Burner 6 is back up for sale from the new owner for £900, this is a real bargain.

And what about playability with the burner since the Tiger ? very fast neck and ultra low action for the burner too ?

I remember playing a 5 string burner years ago in electro music in doncaster, and the neck was really nice and the action very low it was a joy to play and it was only £800, it was the blue colour the same as walbassists, i only didnt get it as i was looking for a 4 and had a yamaha nathan east 5, TBO even though it was a while ago i dont think it was as good as the usa smiths the build quality is exceptional ( mind you it should be for the price diffrence) a small ote on that same shopping trip (i had £1000 to spend, i remember those days not being a dad = disposable income :) ) electro had a 4 string Wal bass in for £800 i really liked it but found the body a little bigfor me, so i walked away with a warwick streamer lx for the princely sum of £950 bloody kicking myself, i loved the streamer as it was an early one ad it served me well for many years. oh well love my smith to bits though, afretless burner would be cool though!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's my Ken Smith BSR6GN, it has the lowest action of any bass I've played. It plays like butter, with a great neck, beautiful construction and versatile electrics.

The last five digits of the serial number are FVP11 which stand for

[color=#000000]F= Figured maple[/color]

[color=#000000]V= 5 pc body wings[/color]

[color=#000000]P= Presentation grade 4a figure in the maple (USA grown English Sycamore, old growth)[/color]

[color=#000000]11 = 2011, the year made. [/color]

[color=#000000]The body core is western figured maple, quilt/flame, the dark laminates are walnut, sawn from 1" stock and all matched. [/color]

[color=#000000]The heel cap is tiger maple from British Columbia/western Canada and the smaller cam touching the neck is Shedua. The body strips to the nack/body joint are shedua and the neck is maple and shedua. [/color]

Edited by Dig

• 2 months later...