Why become a member? ×

Single compact cab, 112? 210?

harmonicfish

In a strange turnaround, I now find that I am the designated/only driver in my band. Getting all of the equipment and people for a rock/metal five piece into my car (bar the drums for rehearsals thank goodness) is pushing things!

So, I'm looking for a small cab that will give me maximum movement of air for cab size. Getting good low end as well would be great, but sadly gives way to practicality *cries*. Amp pushes 450w into 4 ohm, so I'm guessing I'm looking for something with a rating of about 300W at 8 ohm.

Anyone got any views on the following? :)

Current shortlist...

Compact 210s:
TC electronic RS210 (84.15 litres)
Markbass traveller 102p (84.88 litres)
Generally had my favorite sound from 10s, although they've always had much larger boxes (e.g. Genz Benz 210T, Eden EN210XST). Not tried either of the two above, so don't know how they would compare with their larger brethren.

Compact 112s:
Markbass NY121 (59.23 litres)
Barefaced Midget (55.49 litres)
Reducing the volume and the cone area by about a third, yet both of these cabs have very good power ratings. How much low end and volume would I be sacrificing with one of these?

Compact 115!
Ashdown ABM mini 15 (75.27 litres)
Technically smaller than a 210 but with a larger cone area (smallest 115 I've ever seen). The last time I tried one, the lack of a tweeter was bothersome, but with some eq-ing it was workable. The amplifier I was using at the time only put 260w into 8 ohm however, so not as much volume as I might have liked. Hopefully with a more powerful amp this would keep up with the other 4 band members? Never played it in a band situation.

(For reference, Peavey TNT 115 keeps up at rehearsals, small gigs, and is too big) :rolleyes:

*After some more time spent with a tape measure*

Admittedly I don't have the best tessellation skills in the world, but ideally something that has two dimensions less than 40cm (but the other one can be a lot bigger), would work best.

Which from my original suggestions looks like the...
NY121 (x2 if I could afford it, which I can't)
Barefaced midget
RS210

And strangely the Markbass traveller 122, which would fit better than the 102, but is outside my budget :rolleyes:

But precludes the compact, 210T, and AE112 :-S

Cheers anyway :)

[quote name='harmonicfish' post='797854' date='Apr 6 2010, 06:19 PM']....Admittedly I don't have the best tessellation skills in the world....[/quote]
At least you can spell it!

For even a fledgling rock/metal band you'll need more than a 112 or a 210. In my opinion you'll cover all your needs with a Compact 25.5" high x 19.5" wide x 13.5" deep or 64cm x 48cm x 34cm, 26lbs or 12 kg.

Sort yourself out first and fit the band around you. Put the singer on the roof rack!!

[quote name='sk8' post='797777' date='Apr 6 2010, 05:10 PM']Whats your budget? I've got the Berg AE210 and its killer as are the Berg 12's but they do come at a cost.[/quote]

Plus one on this recommendation. I had an Epifani UL210 that ran at 4 ohms which was loud and went deep (rated at 500 watts) - moved some serious air. I changed to two Bergantino 1x12's (HT/EX combination). I would recommend a single 2x10 over a single 1x12.

I agree with sorting out what suits you soundwise....and then if you can help out the other freeloaders, then do so. :)

Incidently..what do the Gtrs use, amp-wise..?

I believe some of the 12" options are the way to go without compromise, ...or very little, but it shouldn't be all yours, being the only transport option.

You'll very likely need 2 cabs to keep up with 2 gtrs at a gig...
a single 12 or 2x10 will not likely do it..rehearsals, maybe, though.

[quote name='harmonicfish' post='797773' date='Apr 6 2010, 05:06 PM']In a strange turnaround, I now find that I am the designated/only driver in my band. Getting all of the equipment and people for a rock/metal five piece into my car (bar the drums for rehearsals thank goodness) is pushing things![/quote]
Buying and insuring a transit van, split between 5 people, is going to be a lot more reasonable than buying a bunch of expensive lightweight bass gear, split between one person!

[quote name='pete.young' post='798124' date='Apr 6 2010, 10:09 PM']Buying and insuring a transit van, split between 5 people, is going to be a lot more reasonable than buying a bunch of expensive lightweight bass gear, split between one person![/quote]

What he said and remember that all have to pay for petrol on a regular basis

Ok, for various reasons, narrowing it down to just two.

Ashdown ABM mini 15: Probably about the smallest 115 cab around. Apparently less bass response than you'd normally get from a 15 because of the tiny cabinet.

Barefaced Midget: Probably about the smallest 112 cab around. Apparently very deep and loud for a single 12.

How would these compare to one another. Would either get me close to gigging volume. Anyone tried both?

Cheers all :)

I would say that the Barefaced is by far the better of those two cabs you mention. The Mini15 is quite a good little cab with a tight punchy sound but would struggle on it's own at gig volume. I used to use one with a mini48 and it works well as one of a pair.

There's an interesting review here.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358077&highlight=shootout"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=shootout[/url]

I've got the Midget's big brother the Compact which is more than adequate on it's own for gigging even with quite loud bands although we don't play huge venues. I'd think the Midget would be adequate for gigging from what I've heard but I haven't used one myself.

I've an Ampeg Portabass 1x12 cab (the one with trolley wheels 17"x17"x12") with a Beyma B200 12" 250W@8 Ohm in it. The horn's been removed & a tube put in as a port. It's pretty much around the size you're looking for. Could be talked into parting with it............along with the Crate Powerblock I use with it.......... :)

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne