Why become a member? ×

Ordering Music Man Stingray 5

BruceBass3901

[quote name='BluRay' post='797198' date='Apr 6 2010, 08:46 AM']Hello. I have a PBB StingrayHH. Rosewood neck + matching headstock. After much deliberation I settled on a plain black pickguard to go with it. Turned out to be the right choice with that combination, cos the PBB colour is so unusual (pictures don't do it justice) I think a fussy pickguard may have been too much.

Maple or Rosewood? Doesn't matter really, its what you like best.

BTW I think that the "main" musicman distributer in the UK is www.stringsandthings.co.uk So they can tell you who to order from locally.

Expect up to 9 months lead time - despite what they say in the shop. Long wait - but worth it!
When it eventually arrived tho, my bass was really well set up / just what I expected (better even) / no problems at all.[/quote]

9 months! Actually this is good...it means I won't be totally devoid of money when it arrives.

What I like about MM basses is they seem to match the QC of really high end gear...and their sound is individual.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='797468' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:00 PM']Nope but I was told anything up to 20 weeks, equal +/- 5 months. Don't know if that is accurate or not but that's what the distributor told the shop *(Bass Gallery in Camdem)*[/quote]

But you ordered it on the 13th April..........whats the weather going to be like ;-)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='797468' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:00 PM']Nope but I was told anything up to 20 weeks, equal +/- 5 months. Don't know if that is accurate or not but that's what the distributor told the shop *(Bass Gallery in Camdem)*[/quote]

I was told 4 months. Was actually 9. The delay apparenlty wasn't at the factory but in waiting for the next batch order to be shipped to the UK. So I guess its luck how close this next shipment is! The buggers....when you pay £1000+ you'd think they'd ship it as soon as the paints dry. No complaints with the finished thing tho. Its a beast.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='797491' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:17 PM']Isnt it quicker to order direct form the USA then?
Somewhere like bass central.[/quote]
You can't. If a shop in the US sold a new MM abroad then they are contravening their licence as a dealer and Sterling will withdraw it.
Strings & Things are the official UK distributor. Speak to Pete (Blind Lemon) and he'll advise you best.

[quote name='theosd' post='796629' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:57 PM']It is, of course. It sounded different, but definitely more 'Ray like.[/quote]

I know its a generally held belief that the brightly coloured maple finger board sounds brighter but I must admit I cannot see how, being softer and less dense than rosewood.

I would also challenge that anybody could actually hear the difference, given identical bodies/pickups/leads/amps/speakers etc. All these other factors will over-ride any change to the tone the fretboard material can make. Now if the frets themselves were made of something different...

I love Stingrays and, for me maple looks better on a Stingray whatever the body, some prefer to play on the lighter colour (bit like a piano with the black and white on the keys reversed) but this is, of course, totally personal and aesthetic.

[quote name='BruceBass3901' post='796628' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:56 PM']I have just had a Private Message on Talkbass.com saying the same thing about the weight. I understand that there is a huge possibilty that the bass will be rather heavy, but I really have my heart set on it. If worst comes to the worst, I have to sit on my amp :)[/quote]

Having been used to a Jaydee with a solid mahogany body and neck for many years my Stingray is a lightweight. However I'm sure its heavier than some other basses but, personal opinion here, I wouldn't get too bogged down in a pound here, a few ounces there. A body heavier than another doesn't make it a bad bass, unless you have a shoulder problem.