Why become a member? ×

Ordering Music Man Stingray 5

BruceBass3901

I have been told my parents and grandparents that when I go to University, they will buy me a Music Man Stingray 5, as I have been wanting one for about 2 years now.

I was wondering if anybody knew where I could order one to the specs that I want (i.e. colour, set-up, etc.) as I think that If I have to wait to get it, the least I could have is the bass I really want.

If it helps, I want a Stingray 5 HH in Pacific Blue Burst with a Rosewood Fretboard and a matching headstock.

Anybody know where I can order one from?

[quote name='BruceBass3901' post='796540' date='Apr 5 2010, 12:54 PM']I have been told my parents and grandparents that when I go to University, they will buy me a Music Man Stingray 5, as I have been wanting one for about 2 years now.

I was wondering if anybody knew where I could order one to the specs that I want (i.e. colour, set-up, etc.) as I think that If I have to wait to get it, the least I could have is the bass I really want.

If it helps, I want a Stingray 5 HH in Pacific Blue Burst with a Rosewood Fretboard and a matching headstock.

Anybody know where I can order one from?[/quote]

Just place your order with your nearest Musicman dealer. Sounds like a very nice bass that you are going to end up with. All the Best!

Well you can do that with any UK official Ernie Ball Music Man retailers, so... let me help you first of all look for the official dealer close to you on this link:

[url="http://www.musicmanuk.co.uk/MMstockhome.htm"]http://www.musicmanuk.co.uk/MMstockhome.htm[/url]

Then... from the official USA website choose the options you like, i.e. 4 or 5 strings, standard or classic, and all the other availability options which are annexed to every model from this link:

[url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/"]http://www.music-man.com/instruments/[/url]

Once you've got it all worked out, call your nearest dealer or visit him, leave him a nice 10% (min) deposit and let the wait begin. Usually it can take up to 5 months max! I've ordered mine on April 13th and it's due beginning July.

Good luck, and don't forget to check out the new "classic series" which are also available in 5 strings. [url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/classic-stingray-5.html"]http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basse...stingray-5.html[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I'm doing exactly the same with a Ray 5.

Contact a musicman stockist and discuss the options :)

I think I'm opting for HS pickups, rosewood neck, tort plate, White. The single coil at the neck sounds awesome in the demos I've heard.

If not that, sunburst.

I'm also close to pulling the trigger on a classic series in 4 string format...but I am indecisive about the colour.

I tried to step outside my world of Fender/Ernie Ball and failed miserably. I'm just used to them, in a good sense. Plus they look like a bass should :rolleyes:

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='theosd' post='796555' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:08 PM']Go for a maple fingerboard with these IME.[/quote]

If you want a rosewood fretboard go for a rosewood fretboard. If you listen to all the preferences expressed on these forums you'll never end up ordering your bass at all! For every person who says one thing is best there will be another with the opposite opinion. Stick to your own thoughts for your dream bass!!

[quote name='Hutton' post='796564' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:15 PM']If you want a rosewood fretboard go for a rosewood fretboard. If you listen to all the preferences expressed on these forums you'll never end up ordering your bass at all! For every person who says one thing is best there will be another with the opposite opinion. Stick to your own thoughts for your dream bass!![/quote]

You're right. :)

[quote name='Hutton' post='796564' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:15 PM']If you want a rosewood fretboard go for a rosewood fretboard. If you listen to all the preferences expressed on these forums you'll never end up ordering your bass at all! For every person who says one thing is best there will be another with the opposite opinion. Stick to your own thoughts for your dream bass!![/quote]

I know to go with what I want, but I was just curios to know whether he was ssaying go for maple for aesthetics or for another reason. I know that I would prefer the Rosewood (especially with the Pacific Blue Burst), but was willing to listen to anothers opinions.

Readin back on this, it sounds quite b*tchy, but i did not intend for it to sound so :)

[quote name='theosd' post='796576' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:21 PM']True, but my opinion is that if you want to maximise the Stingray's potential for bitey tones then this is the way to go. f you're buying one for smooth, polite noises then why are you buying one?? =][/quote]

I know that the maple would allow for that extra 'bite', but I've had both maple and rosewood fretboards in the past, and just generally prefered the rosewood. I don't know what it was, but I just prefer Rosewood

[quote name='theosd' post='796581' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:28 PM']Yeah. Having owned a Ray 5 - now sold on ebay but still awaiting payment - with a rosewood board and having played the other it just sounded better to my ears.[/quote]

Do you mean the maple sounded better?

I suppose it's all a matter of personal preference :)

One major thing to consider with any custom ordered factory built instrument is weight. Factory builds tend not to get the hand selected wood and it can be a bit of a lottery with how heavy the instrument ends up being. I used to have an SR5 that weighed 11 lbs and so I got rid of it. IME Stingrays vary in weight quite a bit. When I had two Lakland DJ4s one was 1 3/4 lbs heavier than the other and this made a huge difference to the playability on a long rehearsal or gig.

[quote name='Sean' post='796621' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:52 PM']One major thing to consider with any custom ordered factory built instrument is weight. Factory builds tend not to get the hand selected wood and it can be a bit of a lottery with how heavy the instrument ends up being. I used to have an SR5 that weighed 11 lbs and so I got rid of it. IME Stingrays vary in weight quite a bit. When I had two Lakland DJ4s one was 1 3/4 lbs heavier than the other and this made a huge difference to the playability on a long rehearsal or gig.[/quote]

I have just had a Private Message on Talkbass.com saying the same thing about the weight. I understand that there is a huge possibilty that the bass will be rather heavy, but I really have my heart set on it. If worst comes to the worst, I have to sit on my amp :)

[quote name='BruceBass3901' post='796584' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:29 PM']Do you mean the maple sounded better?

I suppose it's all a matter of personal preference :)[/quote]

It is, of course. It sounded different, but definitely more 'Ray like.

[quote name='BruceBass3901' post='796540' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:54 PM']I have been told my parents and grandparents that when I go to University, they will buy me a Music Man Stingray 5, as I have been wanting one for about 2 years now.

Anybody know where I can order one from?[/quote]

Wow, do they wish to adopt anyone?

Good luck with it

[quote name='Pkomor' post='796727' date='Apr 5 2010, 04:49 PM']If your still in school, you get the school to place the order for you (legally! theres a scheme to help students get instruments!), then you dont have to pay VAT :)[/quote]

I'm at college ... Would that work?

[quote name='BruceBass3901' post='796574' date='Apr 5 2010, 02:20 PM']I have no idea which colour pickguard to go for. Any suggestions as to what would look good with PBB and Rosewood?[/quote]

Hello. I have a PBB StingrayHH. Rosewood neck + matching headstock. After much deliberation I settled on a plain black pickguard to go with it. Turned out to be the right choice with that combination, cos the PBB colour is so unusual (pictures don't do it justice) I think a fussy pickguard may have been too much.

Maple or Rosewood? Doesn't matter really, its what you like best.

BTW I think that the "main" musicman distributer in the UK is www.stringsandthings.co.uk So they can tell you who to order from locally.

Expect up to 9 months lead time - despite what they say in the shop. Long wait - but worth it!
When it eventually arrived tho, my bass was really well set up / just what I expected (better even) / no problems at all.