Why become a member? ×

Megadeth bassists. Ellefson vs Lomenzo

charic

Recently at a band meeting we were discussing megadeth (all of the band are megadeth fans) and I stated that Ellefson is still one of my favourite bassists and I prefer him by a longshot compared to Lomenzo. Nothing against the chap but I just prefer Ellefson. To which I was shouted at and called an idiot as well as being told "thats why your the keyboard player".

Nothing to do with the fact that I didnt audition for the bass part as it was already taken then??

I thought I would see if I'm alone on this planet in preferring good ol' Dave.

Post your votes people!

Edited by charic

[quote name='charic' post='796495' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:11 PM']I thought I would see if I'm alone on this planet in preferring good ol' Dave.[/quote]
Dave+1.

Great player, and from the brief clips I've seen of his dvds and workshops - a good teacher too.

I suspect Lomenzo is the more technically accomplished (which is not being demeaning to Ellefson as they are both very good players). But Lomenzo always struck me as a hired hand. I always thought Ellefson's tone was a bit too trebly though and not punchy enough for my liking (eg in Peace Sells). I guess its Ellefson by a nose

It's a redundant argument IMO, lomenzo was only really with them for one or two albums and probably didn't write many of the bass lines, and what was on them was nothing special anyway. Ellefson was an absolute monster and IMO, the heart of the band, he held everything together. Mustaine seems to have realised that he can't really be replaced and he's back in the band, rightly so. As clarky said, lomenzo seemed like he was just a hired hand.

I saw Megadeth twice in '95 and again at Download in 2005, and there was no comparison.
Ellefson is a great player, and when he does a solo (very rarely but look at youpube) he's actually an extremely accomplished musician.

Lomenzo is about 5-foot tall (seriously) and needs a good iron.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='797112' date='Apr 6 2010, 12:30 AM']You what? :) Try the whole of Rust In Peace?[/quote]

Alright then, I'll give it a listen...to be fair, I've only really heard the greatest hits and the last two albums, so maybe I can't really comment...it's just that from what I've seen, a fair bit of it seems to be following the guitar or playing something rather similar to it. But if you say Rust in Peace is good for em, I'll check out the numbers I don't know from it.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' post='796789' date='Apr 5 2010, 06:09 PM']just thought of one (possibly, depends on your definition of metal) lohn Myung, Dream Theater[/quote]
Can we add D.D. Verni of Overkill to that. Wholly underrated IMO.

Oh, and a vote for Ellefson, too.

[quote name='the_skezz' post='797240' date='Apr 6 2010, 09:36 AM']Alright then, I'll give it a listen...to be fair, I've only really heard the greatest hits and the last two albums, so maybe I can't really comment...it's just that from what I've seen, a fair bit of it seems to be following the guitar or playing something rather similar to it. But if you say Rust in Peace is good for em, I'll check out the numbers I don't know from it.[/quote]
The last two albums weren't real megadeth IMO, have a listen to youthanasia and everything else before that, that's their best work (youthanasia, rust in peace, countdown to extinction, so far so good so what? peace sells but who's buying? and killing is my business and business is good), the rest just doesn't compare. Rust in peace is by far their best though.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='797499' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:25 PM']The last two albums weren't real megadeth IMO, have a listen to youthanasia and everything else before that, that's their best work (youthanasia, rust in peace, countdown to extinction, so far so good so what? peace sells but who's buying? and killing is my business and business is good), the rest just doesn't compare[/quote]
The last two albums did have some scorching tracks on them though (and great bass playing) - my fave is "Washington is next"

[quote name='Clarky' post='797505' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:27 PM']The last two albums did have some scorching tracks on them though (and great bass playing) - my fave is "Washington is next"[/quote]
Yeah I quite liked some of the tracks off Endgame, 1,320 and Headcrusher mainly. I could never get into United Abominations though, personally.
I can't wait for them to release a new album with Ellefson though! It should be pretty killer!