Why become a member? ×

Guitar pre-amps

fryer

Hi, I have recently bought a bass ( from Basschat of course ) with an Aguilar OBP 2 pre amp.

I understand that it provides more output than a passive, but does it boost the output from the pickups, or does it just boost the tone controls ?

Also, the wiring diagram shows a stereo jack to switch on the circuit - do I need a stereo jack on a normal mono lead, or do I need a stereo lead ?

And, I want to change the stacked pot to two separate ones - where's the best place to get them, and decent knobs. Maplin do pots for 80 p, but they can't be much good ?

Confused. :)

[quote name='fryer' post='794829' date='Apr 3 2010, 08:05 AM']Hi, I have recently bought a bass ( from Basschat of course ) with an Aguilar OBP 2 pre amp.

I understand that it provides more output than a passive, but does it boost the output from the pickups, or does it just boost the tone controls ?[/quote]
An active preamp can provide more gain, but the main function is to allow the tone controls to boost as well as cut, which isn't possible with passives.
[quote name='fryer' post='794829' date='Apr 3 2010, 08:05 AM']Also, the wiring diagram shows a stereo jack to switch on the circuit - do I need a stereo jack on a normal mono lead, or do I need a stereo lead ?[/quote]
Just a normal mono 1/4" cable should be fine- AFAIK that simply completes the circuit to engage the battery, there's not a stereo signal path that would require a special lead
[quote name='fryer' post='794829' date='Apr 3 2010, 08:05 AM']And, I want to change the stacked pot to two separate ones - where's the best place to get them, and decent knobs. Maplin do pots for 80 p, but they can't be much good ?

Confused. :)[/quote]
No idea, sorry, although have a look in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81853"]this thread[/url] for some more informed discussion.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
K