Why become a member? ×

Hardest piece of music I have ever tried to play...

Bilbo

This piece is unquestionably the hardest piece of music I have ever tried (and failed) to perform. It is a solo bass piece written, ironically, by a Welsh pianist (and my first theory teacher) Joe Stuessy (from a small village called Nanty Fychlan, north of Cardiff). Joe was an astonishing player and a real innovator. He derided gimmicks like slapping and tapping etc and advocated his student just focussed on using conventional techniques and complex modern harmonic theories to express themselves. Like many prophets, he was ‘shunned in his own land’ and, that part of Wales being very rural, he was unable to play very much in public. In truth, many of his compositions were so difficult to play, in this rural setting he often couldn’t find any musicians good enough to perform them – as soon as anyone got good enough, they left the area for Cardiff or London, wherever the bright lights took them (former sidemen include Lawrence Cottle, Percy Jones and Pino Palladino). He tried sending his music to various musicians to try and make a name for himself as a composer and arranger but their lack of commercial potential condemned them to the rejects bin. Joe got really depressed and started drinking (he used to drink deeply from a Diet Coke bottle when I had my lessons and I am convinced it was laced with vodka or something else. I couldn't tell). He died in the early 1990s.

This is one is his compositions for solo bass which he gave me but, I have to say, I have never mastered it. It is so difficult, I can’t get passed the first few bars. It is designed to be played with a lone percussionist so the empty bars are not actually silence! It is called ‘E Elannod’ which is Welsh for ‘For Eleanor’. If anyone nails it, can they record it and credit Joe as composer? It would be cool to see some of his work out there at last.

E Elannod – Joe Steussy – Bilbo's Bass Bites

Edited by Bilbo

[quote name='Marvin' post='793624' date='Apr 1 2010, 07:08 PM']Bilbo you do realise that you are not supposed to play after midday. :)[/quote]

Depends which country you are in. The noon thing is UK only and I don't really give a rats' :rolleyes:

[quote name='Marvin' post='794480' date='Apr 2 2010, 05:35 PM']I will sit in the corner with the dunces hat if someone would please tell me what this thread is about.

Yes I am thick. :)

Just pleeeeeaaaaaassssse tell me. :rolleyes:[/quote]
It's Donna Lee farce about ace as the Rev Spooner would say

There was a clue in there. I guess I was being too clever :):

PMRC
In 1985, Dr. [b]Joe Stuessy[/b] testified to the United States Congress at the Parents Music Resource Center hearings that:

The message [of a piece of heavy metal music] may also be covert or subliminal. Sometimes subaudible tracks are mixed in underneath other, louder tracks. These are heard by the subconscious but not the conscious mind. [b]Sometimes the messages are audible but are backward[/b], called backmasking. There is disagreement among experts regarding the effectiveness of subliminals. We need more research on that.[86]

[quote name='Bilbo' post='799935' date='Apr 8 2010, 04:16 PM']There was a clue in there. I guess I was being too clever :rolleyes::

PMRC
In 1985, Dr. [b]Joe Stuessy[/b] testified to the United States Congress at the Parents Music Resource Center hearings that:

The message [of a piece of heavy metal music] may also be covert or subliminal. Sometimes subaudible tracks are mixed in underneath other, louder tracks. These are heard by the subconscious but not the conscious mind. [b]Sometimes the messages are audible but are backward[/b], called backmasking. There is disagreement among experts regarding the effectiveness of subliminals. We need more research on that.[86][/quote]
:) That whooshing noise is the whole of this thread passing over my head!

[quote name='farmer61' post='799952' date='Apr 8 2010, 04:33 PM']:) That whooshing noise is the whole of this thread passing over my head![/quote]

If I was better at countdown (the TV show not the tune) then I'd have saved myself trying to play this backwards (badly) and realising what the word-play in the title is. Try getting a fretless out and inviting a conga player round to join in and you might have a chance with this tune... or not.