Why become a member? ×

Line out for headphone use?

Adam.M

I'm looking at the Ashdown MAG 300 head, but i really need something i can use with headphones too from time to time...

So i'm looking at that line out, and thinking can i use that for headphones directly OR going into my Hi-Fi and then into headphones that way?

I'm guessing i'd still have to have it hooked up to a cab, even if the volume was on zero... not sure about that, i'm still used to all-valve amp's.

I've done something like this before but the sheer wattage power of these amp's scare me a bit :)

It's a shame the Marshall MB is such an eye sore, never seen anything so ugly! it has all the features I'd need but I would have to put a paper bag over it to live with it.

-Adam.

[quote name='Adam.M' post='86529' date='Nov 10 2007, 05:02 PM']I'm looking at the Ashdown MAG 300 head, but i really need something i can use with headphones too from time to time...

So i'm looking at that line out, and thinking can i use that for headphones directly OR going into my Hi-Fi and then into headphones that way?

I'm guessing i'd still have to have it hooked up to a cab, even if the volume was on zero... not sure about that, i'm still used to all-valve amp's.

I've done something like this before but the sheer wattage power of these amp's scare me a bit :)

It's a shame the Marshall MB is such an eye sore, never seen anything so ugly! it has all the features I'd need but I would have to put a paper bag over it to live with it.

-Adam.[/quote]
The general feeling is that you shouldn't run any amp without a speaker attached, although I am not sure why that would affect a transistor output design. Also, the line out will give you a signal, that would suit your hifi, but doesn't give enough current to drive a set of headphones.

Your cheapest options are -

1) buy a S/H practice headphone amp - £20-30
2) buy something like a S/H Zoom 708, which will drive headphones and includes a tuner and a drum machine, and 15 zillion effects that you will never use. - £30-40
3) buy a small S/H mixer, like a Behringer 502 or 802, which will drive headpones, and allow you to mix in your CD player etc. - £20-30

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='86664' date='Nov 10 2007, 09:45 PM']3) buy a small S/H mixer, like a Behringer 502 or 802, which will drive headpones, and allow you to mix in your CD player etc. - £20-30[/quote]

and is a useful thing to have anyway...

top advice there mottlefeeder

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='86664' date='Nov 10 2007, 09:45 PM']The general feeling is that you shouldn't run any amp without a speaker attached, although I am not sure why that would affect a transistor output design. Also, the line out will give you a signal, that would suit your hifi, but doesn't give enough current to drive a set of headphones.

Your cheapest options are -

1) buy a S/H practice headphone amp - £20-30
2) buy something like a S/H Zoom 708, which will drive headphones and includes a tuner and a drum machine, and 15 zillion effects that you will never use. - £30-40
3) buy a small S/H mixer, like a Behringer 502 or 802, which will drive headpones, and allow you to mix in your CD player etc. - £20-30[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't think it would be a good idea running without a speaker, but I've never owned a solid state amp in my life and for some reason always thought you could with a tranny amp.

So for now, i could indeed send the line out to my hi-fi, then use the hi-fi's headphone output? a long way around for the job but it gets the job done without spending any more cash.

I didnt know mixers were so cheap! the 502 is £25 new, 802 £35-40... i'll have to get one of those sometime soon!

I'd buy a headphone amp but i'll be getting one of the new Pod x3's as soon as i can afford it, finally, a line 6 product i actually like...

Thanks for the advice :)