Why become a member? ×

So, exactly how do they do that???

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Last night at a typical pub gig with the usual dodgy acoustics, I used a Peavey 410 TVX that I bought from Martinbass7750 (top chap, by the way!) and the low-end it delivered, using my GK 700 head, Roscoe Beck V and my Wal Pro 2e, was just phenomenal!! At one point our keyboard player actually asked me to turn it down.. :)

It's smaller than the Hughes & Kettner 410 I had, yet puts out more low-end and outperforms a 210 + 115 set up I had... So what I want to try to find out is just how it does that??

I know it won't match up against some of the boutique gear that's out there like Markbass, EBS etc, but for sheer value for money, IMO, this is a good as anything I've heard!

Nik

Hi Nik,

So you are getting on well with the Roscoe Beck? Good stuff. I agree about Peavey gear - every bit I have tried has been brilliant, and seemingly very under-rated in terms of output power. There is a review of their new Neo 4x10 in bass Player mag and they like that too - great gear at great prices.

Its all to do with the speakers ( a wise old man has told me) and their efficiency......

This comes down to the quality of the componenets and how the inefficency is reduced. Apparently if they are not working at thier optimum range and input ( I still need to do more research into this before I understand it thoroughly) they are very inefficient, and I guess thats what we get used to.....

So it would appear that Peavey source some good kit for thier cabs, which is apparently the norm for American kit as our US cousins just dont buy it, if its not up to much.

The Peavey cab probably lets your GK head work at its best....... I would like to hear it, sounds great!

[quote name='ped' post='86476' date='Nov 10 2007, 02:04 PM']Hi Nik,

So you are getting on well with the Roscoe Beck? Good stuff. I agree about Peavey gear - every bit I have tried has been brilliant, and seemingly very under-rated in terms of output power. There is a review of their new Neo 4x10 in bass Player mag and they like that too - great gear at great prices.[/quote]
Hi Ped

The Roscoe Beck is great! I'm really enjoying it because of the switching options which gives it a more versatile tonal range than my Lakland DJ5, though it is quite a bit heavier which is the only downside.

Still needs a decent set up and the B string saddle needs replacing but I could see it becoming my main gigging bass, which I never thought I'd say because the DJ5 has been such a joy. But there's more midrange tones available with the Roscoe and that could be a real deciding factor?

As for the Peavey stuff, it is as you say 'great gear at great prices' and as Bass Ferret pointed out the Peavy 210 delivers more low end than a 115 which is mad really!!

Bob - the GK certainly sounded sweet with the Peavey and luckily, I've got another gig tonight so I'll be able to hear it in different surroundings just to get a useful comparison... Don't know about anyone else, but I've got a bad habit of making rash, over favourable judgements about how good a new piece of gear is after using it for just one or two gigs.. And then 3 months later, I realise I was completely wrong.. So, I'm trying to be a bit more cautious from now on in the hope that it'll stop me wasting too much money!! Though this topic proves I'm failing with that already :)

Thanks for the comments guys,

Nik

[quote name='neilb' post='86554' date='Nov 10 2007, 05:56 PM']I use the two 2x10s aswell and they bang out more bottom than anything Ive had before. Great full range tone and bags of power.

Peavey is cracking kit and built like the proverbial al fresco latrine.[/quote]
Very nice looking rig! What's your amp? It looks very much like the one Bloodaxe had with him at the SE Bass Bash in August... Programmeable IIRC?

Well; just got back from my 2nd gig with the 410 and it sounded really good again.. I'm totally amazed at how much it's improved my sound.. Am very tempted to stack my 210 on top of it, use the old Peavey Mark IV head and run the whole lot at 2ohms for an hour or so. Should annoy the neighbours nicely during their Sunday lunch :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='86551' date='Nov 10 2007, 05:47 PM']I've got a bad habit of making rash, over favourable judgements about how good a new piece of gear is after using it for just one or two gigs.. And then 3 months later, I realise I was completely wrong..[/quote]
Cab sounds great. I look forward to making you a really low offer for it, when it appears in the 'For Sale' section in three months time. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='86794' date='Nov 11 2007, 10:35 AM']Cab sounds great. I look forward to making you a really low offer for it, when it appears in the 'For Sale' section in three months time. :)[/quote]

Sarcasm is of course, the lowest form of wit Matt, even if what you say is most likely to be true!! :huh:

It does sound bloody good with the GK head and the Roscoe Beck though; so much so I haven't used the Lakland with it yet! In fact, the switching on the RBV reminds me of your G&Ls and on that note, any sign of the new L2000 yet?

Nik

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='86853' date='Nov 11 2007, 01:23 PM']I use a 410TVX with a peavey 1X15. I used to use it with a Peavey Tmax amp and sounded phenominal.
Recently having troubles with mine,using a sunn 1200s but thats probs my own fault, as the person I bought the rig off played it fine for 5 years.
Excellent cab. (until recently!)[/quote]
That's quite a rig to lug around!! bet it sounds good though... What are the T-Max amps like? I've always fancied one because of the twin channel facility and I like peavey gear generally.. Isn't it a tube pre-amp?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='86874' date='Nov 11 2007, 02:28 PM']That's quite a rig to lug around!! bet it sounds good though... What are the T-Max amps like? I've always fancied one because of the twin channel facility and I like peavey gear generally.. Isn't it a tube pre-amp?[/quote]
It sounded immense!
The T-max is probs the best sounding amp I've used to be honest. I love my new sunn, but I havnt used it enough to judge properly.
The t-max is a tube pre amp and a solid state power amp and you can swicth between the two or have them both together bended. and has a graphic E.Q. It wasd really simple to use and the sound was the best I've ever heard from Peavey. I have a Peavey Mark VI which just sounds sooooo bad after having the Tmax!

I've had two. But I've broken them both! the first was flood damaged and the second I blew the transformer which I later learned cannot be replaced as it is unique to the T-max and peavey no longer make them.
So if you ever get one make sure you dont blow the tranny! (nigh on impossible to do, but I am an amp destroyer! :) )

Its sounded Awsome through the two peavey cabs.
I miss it dearly!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='86934' date='Nov 11 2007, 05:03 PM']Parcelforce have it held to ransom until I give them 69 quid. Hopefully pick it up in the week.[/quote]
That really annoyed me when I first shipped a bass in from the States!! Another time, Parcelforce charged me £13 to 'let me have' the DBX MC 6 compressor that I had bought for £25!! Hopefully it'll all be worth it once you've got it :)

[i]"It sounded immense! The T-max is probs the best sounding amp I've used to be honest."

"used my afore mentioned 2x2x10's with a T-max. Great amp. The pre amp valve was really cool cos it had a pre and post gain so you could really fine tune how hard the valve was driven. Probably getting quite hard to find now."[/i]

That's high praise indeed!

I saw one on Ebay a while back but it was pretty tatty and too far away to check out in person, so I didn't bid... Hmm, I might keep looking around now after what you've had to say.. Thanks!

For what it's worth, I've very rarely heard a bass sound so fantastic as with ManAtArms (Alex) 's T-Max through those Peavey cabs. A couple of exceptions spring to mind, but as they involve that wallet-sweating word Aguilar I won't mention them.

Oh yeah, and sorry for mentioning the amp dude, I know they're both sorely missed.

Edited by DrGonzo

Those Peavey TVX cabs are ported to get a reall good extended low end - so it's more about the tuning than anything (in addition to the fact that they are well made with good components!). Only cab you'll find that beats it is the Ampeg SVT 410HLF, but for the money it ain't worth that tiny bit of extra oomph.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='87805' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:00 PM']Those Peavey TVX cabs are ported to get a reall good extended low end - so it's more about the tuning than anything (in addition to the fact that they are well made with good components!). Only cab you'll find that beats it is the Ampeg SVT 410HLF, but for the money it ain't worth that tiny bit of extra oomph.[/quote]
Thanks for that info - explains a lot!

Seems these Peavey cabs are really good value then... But whatever, I like the sound which is what matters most in the end.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='88251' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:26 AM']Excellent value, I remember years ago there was a bit of a coup in a Bass Player magazine 4x10 shootout (it was any cab $1000 or less so included Eden, Ampeg, SWR etc. etc.) and the Peavey came second.[/quote]
Cool! What came first?

If i remember right it was the eden 410xlt - nearly three times the cost of the peavey.

My own criticism of the peavey is that with some (traditionally warm) amps it can lack a little clarity, but if you pair it up right then you are laughing. An old friend of mine had an awesome budget rig with a 410tvx and 350w Trace Elliot head he bought nearly 10 years ago - sounds absolutely fantastic.

Edited by G-bitch

[quote name='G-bitch' post='88864' date='Nov 15 2007, 11:26 AM']If i remember right it was the eden 410xlt - nearly three times the cost of the peavey.

My own criticism of the peavey is that with some (traditionally warm) amps it can lack a little clarity, but if you pair it up right then you are laughing. An old friend of mine had an awesome budget rig with a 410tvx and 350w Trace Elliot head he bought nearly 10 years ago - sounds absolutely fantastic.[/quote]
Sounds pretty good with my GK 700 :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='89004' date='Nov 15 2007, 04:23 PM']Sounds pretty good with my GK 700 :)[/quote]

Hi Nik,

I used to sounded pretty good with my max450 as well. Glad you're enjoying the cab, I just couldn't cope with the weight, as you know.

My current rig doesn't have the low end of the tvx410. Don't sell it, you'll regret it :huh:

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='89556' date='Nov 16 2007, 06:46 PM']Hi Nik,

I used to sounded pretty good with my max450 as well. Glad you're enjoying the cab, I just couldn't cope with the weight, as you know.

My current rig doesn't have the low end of the tvx410. Don't sell it, you'll regret it :)

Cheers

Martin[/quote]
Hi Martin

I definitely won't sell it as it sounds pretty good to me. I also have a Peavey 210 TX which will do for smaller gigs and an old handmade 1x15 if ever needed, so as cabs go, I'm sorted now.

Thanks

Nik

Looks like my singer/songwriter mate might be securing a support slot for a biggish UK act. My covers band has agreed to be his band for any live shows he does, which has prompted me to think that it might be a better idea to go with a decent 4x10" set-up than the 2x10" I've been thinking of lately.

I've looked at Peavey's Tour 450 head & TVX410 4ohm cab before, and prices seem to be fairly consistent:

Musik-Service.de: €729 delivered.

Thomann: €784 delivered.

MusicStore.de: €787 delivered.

Local store: €800. I get to try it out and take it away if I like it.

He'll have one for me to try in a week. I'm looking forward to it.

Mark