Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

[quote name='overwater' post='1337344' date='Aug 12 2011, 10:35 AM']Thank you kind Sirs... And yes, we will be doing something in the mid-price J area in the not too distant future - but not quite sure what as yet!

Chris[/quote]

Any plans for a 6 string?

[quote name='andydye' post='1347162' date='Aug 21 2011, 02:29 PM']Any plans for a 6 string?[/quote]

We have discussed a six string and are working on a prototype and about to send bridge drawings to hardware manufacturer. I'm not sure when we will bring it out as a standard model - but we may well do it as a Special Edition in limited numbers in the not too distant future - will keep you posted..

Chris

Edited by overwater

[quote name='overwater' post='1349218' date='Aug 23 2011, 05:36 PM']We have discussed a six string and are working on a prototype and about to send bridge drawings to hardware manufacturer. I'm sure not when we will bring it out as a standard model - but we may well do it as a Special Edition in limited numbers in the not too distant future - will keep you posted..

Chris[/quote]

Sounds fab, thanks Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just thought I'd tell everybody that I bought a Contemporary J5 from Pete and Academy of Sound in Stoke at the weekend and it is totally great.

Great build quality and BIG power and tone - it was easily able to push it's way past my band's les paul and es335 through marshalls.

The drummer said 'that's loads better tone than last week' - without any prompting at all.

Amazing range of tones, even a small tweak on the controls has a noticable effect.

I think much better than any f****r I've played below £1500 - so at <> £600 it's a bargain. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just treat myself to an Overwater Contemporary J 4 string (trans black - rubbish iphone pic attached) and I too was blown away by the playability, build quality and mostly the tonal range of this beauty. i wasn't intending to buy a new bass but just couldn't put this one down! As people have said before, the £580 price tag must be a mistake, this plays and sounds better than the Fender American Jazz I tried a while ago.

I've just sent a query to Overwater to see if mine was one of the first batch that they set up in Cumbria (just curious more than anything).

Has anyone adjusted their truss rod yet? I need to slacken mine a little as the neck is perfectly straight and there's some slight string buzz (nothing that you don't get on any other bass and easily sorted out). I'm just not sure which way it needs to go to give it a slight bow.

[attachment=89767:overwater.jpeg]

Well, I was going to hang out for an Elite 5, but then slowly fell in love with the Contemporary J5 so had to have one (at least in the meantime).

And after 6 weeks of playing it, how pleased am I!

I really do like the colour - although I do jokingly refer to it as "Elsan Blue Sunburst". Under the light though, it looks really good. The build quality is brilliant (couple of tiny cosmetic blemishes but you wouldn't spot them - I would have to point them out to you) and it sounds fantastic.

I have an Ibanez CT V that I put Overwater 2-Band Actives in about 5 years ago. However - this sounds so much richer - right down to the bottom B. I normally play with the EQ flat, but at a gig a couple of weeks ago, decided just to nudge a little bit of Bass into the mix, and what a sweet spot I found!

One other thing I noticed about the bridge at the weekend. The String Anchor Holes go right through to the finish, which leads me to think it was designed with a mind to thru-body stringing as an option.

As everyone else has concurred - these Basses are incredible value for money. I would recommend them to anyone - from beginners who want a GOOD first Bass, right through to seasoned pros. They blow the Fender MIM's right out of the water

Now Chris, I know that the wishlist is growing, but as some fretless models, and an Elite 5 are in the pipeline, is there a chance of an Elite 5 Fretless? If there is I'd love one (and would even consider selling my Soundgears to fund it!).

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1316449679' post='1378143']
Has anyone adjusted their truss rod yet? I need to slacken mine a little as the neck is perfectly straight and there's some slight string buzz (nothing that you don't get on any other bass and easily sorted out). I'm just not sure which way it needs to go to give it a slight bow.
[/quote]

Yes. But I can't remember which way I went ! I tightened the rod to lower the action, i think it was probably clockwise, usually is.

I'm yet to play an Aspiration - would be interested to see how they compare with the Contemporary J (same pickups but different woods/EQ).

For me, the CJ5 easily sits proud in the position of the Progress it replaced. I feel it lacks nothing in comparison in terms of sound or feel, more cosmetics and build quality (which for me, is not even near to being worth another £2400 on top of this).

Does anyone with the Classic J 4 find the bridge pickup a little too polite and quiet when compared to the P pickup? I'm thinking of changing it for something a little more usable, but will anything improve it or is that just the sound of a J bridge pickup?

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1317592256' post='1392248']
The bridge pickup on every bass I've owned has been quieter than the neck one so I reckon it's just the nature of it.
[/quote]
It is.
The string deflection is smaller at the bridge pick-up than at the neck. This is because it's closer to one of the points from which the string is held static; The bridge saddle.

Less deflection means the string cuts fewer magnetic flux lines (given off by the pick-up magnet) and this, in turn causes a smaller signal to be induced in the coil, creating a "quieter" pick-up.
A hotter pick-up can help. A humbucker-in-a-J pick-up will give more output, too. It'll also be tonally different and less hum-prone.
You can always run the (bridge) pick-up as close to the strings as is practical and use the pan-pot to compensate a bit...

So actually got to try one (5 string Jazz) of these in DV, Romford the other day...... cannot say that I was impressed, though it did have a nice neck. It had a humungous action issue and one of the knobs was grinding when you turned it.... someone needs to seriously look at it.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1317809158' post='1394733']
So actually got to try one (5 string Jazz) of these in DV, Romford the other day...... cannot say that I was impressed, though it did have a nice neck. It had a humungous action issue and one of the knobs was grinding when you turned it.... someone needs to seriously look at it.
[/quote]
Bad setups on shelves can't really be blamed on the manufacturer, the control might have been a bit loose or maybe the pot had had it. Sounds like the shop don't pay much attention to what they have out.

I played an Aspiration Elite when I got my contemporary J and the E string was fairly flabby so I asked for a tuner and tuned it up, thinking it had been detuned too much (it was out of tune too). I think I got it to a C before realising I was going an octave too high so I tuned it back down to E and it was really flabby and awful to play. Then I picked up the J and everything was perfect on it. I did prefer the look of the Elites so it's a shame I got a duff one. But as Machines said, this may not be the fault of Overwater/Tanglewood, it could have been badly set up once the store got it or someone could have messed it up whilst having a play.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1317842903' post='1395370']I played an Aspiration Elite when I got my contemporary J and the E string was fairly flabby so I asked for a tuner and tuned it up, thinking it had been detuned too much (it was out of tune too). I think I got it to a C before realising I was going an octave too high so I tuned it back down to E and it was really flabby and awful to play. Then I picked up the J and everything was perfect on it. I did prefer the look of the Elites so it's a shame I got a duff one. But as Machines said, this may not be the fault of Overwater/Tanglewood, it could have been badly set up once the store got it or someone could have messed it up whilst having a play.[/quote]

My elite 4 is spot on, string tension and sound are brilliant! I've realised I can't do four strings though...

I understood that each batch were being set up in Cumbria before being sent to the shops. Is that not still the case? In this fascinating video, Chris is seen setting a couple (An Artist and a Deluxe 5) up before dispatch - at Tanglewood in Wetherby. He also confirms a few questions too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPlwg1MGF0

I think that my J5 was one of the Second Batch (Purchased early Aug) to enter the UK - has a Round String Tree rather that a flat bar. The setup is great, but there is a little string rattle - that seems to go away once plugged in.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassist677' timestamp='1318619361' post='1404557']
I eventually chose the Aspiration Elite and aside form a bit of light fret work and a set up, it's being gigged regularly and sounds excellent. Here's a pic of it in action :)

[/quote]

the mahogany one yes? looks purdy!

• 4 weeks later...

There's a pretty decent video review of the Aspiration Deluxe 5 here: [url="http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue5/page/176"]http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue5/page/176[/url] He goes through a range of sounds and whatnot.

Andydye - did you ever find a buyer for your Elite 4?

[quote name='overwater' timestamp='1307897490' post='1266368']
The second container is now on route and should arrive in the UK at the beginning of July and is essentially a repeat of the first run – but with some technical modifications and upgrades born out of our experience with the first production.

So no new models or finishes are included in this shipment (and I don't think we have any Aspiration Elite 5's - which were designated for 'production 3' - though I will check on this next week when I get the manifest..).

Production 3 – which I am meeting with the MD of Tanglewood on Wednesday to specify, will include some new finishes, some left handed models and a couple of fretlesses (which for sonic reasons, will have different body woods to the fretted versions). The Elite Aspirations will include new top wood options and probably some 5 strings. We will also be addind a new a new passive 'sub £300' Aspiration – which we have also designed and made prototypes for and sounds and feels great and which we're really excited about!

Production 3 will probably be built in late July/August, for September shipping – so should be in the shops during October. I realise the progress may seem ponderous - but I would rather take a little longer and get things right, than rush into larger production at the expense of quality control!

With regard to the 'Limited Edition' models – we are currently finishing a small batch of basses here in the UK workshops. These are hand finished and assembled in the UK, signed and numbered by myself – the first of which should be available and on out web site within a week or two.

I hope this answers a few of your concerns – and yes we will try to update the web site a little more often! But if anyone has any specific queries, or questions about our UK built instruments – please don't hesitate to give me a call on: +44 (0)1228 590 591

Thanks, Chris May
[/quote]

Has "production 3" happened yet then?

• 3 weeks later...

I had a few QC issues and wanted to make sure everything was right - so we put the breaks on a little and production 3 has been split into two (so effectivly 3 and 4).. The first shipment is of our new Aspiration Standards and Standard Plus's which are due any time now..

I think the the second half (including fretlesses, lefties and Elite 5's should be here in the new year..

Will keep you posted.

Chris