Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

[quote name='ead' post='1293323' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:00 PM']Loving the black hardware. I've a black 4-string and something similar would look good...I think the OW bridge is too good to change though.[/quote]

Yeah, I totally agree. That's why the bridge hasn't been changed on mine :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='grossey' post='1287430' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:42 AM']Hi Chris,

Do you have any plans or even thoughts regarding an "Original" (aka "C" bass) shaped model, a la Craig Adams?

Always been my dream bass.

Cheers[/quote]

We do still build Original series basses and even C Basses, to order from time to time (we get both of Craig's back for service every now and again)..

Two have gone over to the US recently - both to LA; one was an almost exact copy of the original C bass built for John Entwistle (now owned by Peter Hook), built for a bass playing West Coast music photographer called Elde Stewart and the other a fretless went to studio musician Peter Freeman (whos credits include Alanis Morissette and Nile Rodgers among others)..

We are talking about introducing a 'Tanglewater' version - but probably not until at least next year..

But give me a call, if you're interested in one...

Chris

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1287515' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:53 AM']Anychance of a 6 string Elite/Deluxe or Artist by Batch 20? :)

Heard nothing but good about these, not played one my self though![/quote]

Again, we are talking about a six string - maybe before production 20, but probably not for a while yet; and as we don't use off the shelf parts, we'd have to invest in tooling for hardware and p/up covers too, which is quite an outlay for a lower volume instrument - but we will get there eventually!

Chris

[quote name='Machines' post='1293401' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:52 PM']...Overall, I am astounded by the quality of the instrument at the price point, the only compromise I can find is the body wood (poplar) which is not reknowned as being a tone wood or being expensive, but in this case seems to be absolutely fine for the job....[/quote]

EBMM have used Poplar for 'Rays/Ray 5s. I think only under solid colours (as it is kind of "Dull", grain wise) So it does have a precedent in its use as a tonewood. I don't think many people would readily diss a 'Rays tonal quality.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1293741' date='Jul 5 2011, 06:47 PM']EBMM have used Poplar for 'Rays/Ray 5s. I think only under solid colours (as it is kind of "Dull", grain wise) So it does have a precedent in its use as a tonewood. I don't think many people would readily diss a 'Rays tonal quality.[/quote]

As a point of information - poplar has been used quite extensively over the years for bolt on instruments and comes in many varieties and used as a body timber by a number of companies - including Fenders amoung others..

Chris

I stand corrected ! I assumed the default body wood for most midrange+ production instruments was alder/ash, didn't expect poplar to be in any Musicman or Fender instruments. Got to say though - it sounds great so really it is a moot point.

Hi guys

After some soul searching I opted for a 4 string Aspiration Elite. It's a cracking bit of kit. Having gigged it now, the big positive about the guitar is the range of different sound available through the eq (low end especially). It's well balanced (unlike its owner) and not too heavy given the big slice of hardwood on the body. It needs a set-up now its been played a lot but overall, outstanding value for money.

Cheers
Stonesey

Edited by Bassist677

[quote name='skej21' post='1290830' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:40 AM']Just wanted to rave on about mine again. Played it at a festival two weeks ago (and haven't had the chance to get on here and shout about it's brilliance since!) and did some recording with it last week and both times it stole the show... both sound and aesthetics!

Having played a number of Perception/Progress IIIs to compare it with, my Aspiration Contemporary J 5 can more than compete!

Just wanted to say, truly GREAT work on these Chris (and the Overwater gang). Been trying to get my hands on one ever since I played my bass tutors Progress III and a couple of other Overwater models that mates own. I have made a few little changes to mine that cost less than £100 in total (black hipshot tuners and control knobs, just to make mine a bit more personal!) and now I wouldn't want to part with it. Next step, save up some pennies to throw at Chris and the gang for a Progress III!

Sorry to bore anyone with this post, but for anyone who is interested or thinking of buying one, here's mine in all it's glory!

The bass in action!
[/quote]

That is a very very nice looking bass and I will hopefully be checking out soon.
Incredible colour match with the blue paint with maple neck.
Mmmmmm very nice.

Would look good next to my Progress

Dave
:)

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Glasgow stores last week.
Tried Newcastle yesterday (Metro)

Still haven't managed to find an Overwater Tanglewood contemporary J4.

Does anyone know where they all are in Glasgow area preferably. ?
Would like to try before buying.

Cheers
Dave
:)

[quote name='bassadder' post='1293672' date='Jul 5 2011, 05:58 PM']We do still build Original series basses and even C Basses, to order from time to time (we get both of Craig's back for service every now and again)..

Two have gone over to the US recently - both to LA; one was an almost exact copy of the original C bass built for John Entwistle (now owned by Peter Hook), built for a bass playing West Coast music photographer called Elde Stewart and the other a fretless went to studio musician Peter Freeman (whos credits include Alanis Morissette and Nile Rodgers among others)..

We are talking about introducing a 'Tanglewater' version - but probably not until at least next year..

But give me a call, if you're interested in one...

Chris[/quote]

Thanks Chris, I will definately be getting a Tanglewater one when available, (only if in black of course!).

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I spent Tuesday/Wednesday at the Tanglewood warehouse with their Tech's going through Production 2 - just arrived.

So anyone trying to get hold of one of the models that have sold out - now's the time to get on to your local dealer, or check the dealer list on the Tanglewater pages at our website - the first forty or fifty went off to dealers today, so should be on the walls for the weekend...

This shipment includes some lovely trans' red four and five string Aspiration Deluxes (that should have been on the first shipment!) - and I know people had been asking for them - so again; check with your local dealer...

And.... If you check our new SHOP pages on our site [url="http://overwaterbasses.com/shop-2/bass-guitars/"]http://overwaterbasses.com/shop-2/bass-guitars/[/url] Along with the usual strings etc. and several Custom Shop Overwater basses in stock - we also have the first of the new '[b]Special Edition' Aspiration Series[/b] (finished, assembled and set-up in the UK) - prices from £1095, plus a couple of pre-production models we've decided to sell - from £549!!

[b]And forward news - the Special Edition Aspirations will be available through dealers in the Autumn..
[/b]
Any queries, give Laurence or myself a call - 01228 490591, or drop us a mail..

Chris

Edited by overwater

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got to try a Contemporary J5 today, I had been looking around for one and my local shop had one in by chance.

I was completely blown away, it was absolutely stunning in every sense and not just stunning for theprice tag, this is superb full stop and you know its an Overwater it just oozes quality.

First off the build is incredible, the inlays are so well done, the neck joint was so tight, the neck felt beautiful and the paint job and top were stunning in person. Then I plugged in.....powerful, responsive, articulate, and the variation in tone from that 2 band EQ combined with a pickup blend is all I would ever need. The thing that really made my jaw hit the floor was the B string. My friend came down today with his Lakland 55-02 and I can hand on heart say that in almost every way the Overwater outclassed it. He may even shift his Lakland buy one and pocket the difference after playing one.

In short this has to be one of the best basses I have played and I want one. I would love to know if the chaps at Overwater intend to do a special edition/run of the Jazzes, I would love one in a different colour with some hipshots and black hardware but that is being ultra picky.

Anyway if anyone is thinking about one and not tried one, get in the car and find one. If anyone at Overwater reads this can I please be an official endorser/artist/tester for these basses? I will put at giant Overwater flag on my amp and tell everyone everywhere I play how amazing these are. :)

Edited by NJE

[quote name='Mr Lizard' post='1337271' date='Aug 12 2011, 09:17 AM']I have a Deluxe 5 and it's the best bass I've ever played.[/quote]

Thank you kind Sirs... And yes, we will be doing something in the mid-price J area in the not too distant future - but not quite sure what as yet!

Chris

[quote name='Ghosts Over Japan' post='1337407' date='Aug 12 2011, 11:18 AM']I'm think of buying the five string Jazz as they are incredible it's just a shame that you only have a choice of one colour on it :) still great basses none the less! great work guys![/quote]
I'd have bought a contemporary J5 in almost any colour but blue. It is a shame. Plenty selling tho so good on em.

Well guys I finally got my Contemporary J4.
FAN-BLOOMIN-TASTIC. :D :lol: :)
I can't belive these basses only cost approx £600. In comparison to other basses in that price range these blow them away.

Everything about these basses has already been stated many times in this thread but i have to re-iterate again.
Build quality 2nd to none, sound is full and pretty much what i needed for a rock covers band, playability is Overwaters trade mark, they are unbelievable to play.
When you boost the bass on this thing it really kicks out - whow. !!!
At the moment I'm running everything flat and i just love it.

I've only just got it and still getting used to the options this bass can provide.
I reckon it sounds more towards the Stingrays and G&L's with a solid Lo end and clear Hi end with the bass set flat.

I've attached a photo although was taken very early this morning so maybe not the best quality but isn't she a stunner anyway.

[attachment=86953:Overwater_J4.jpg]

A perfect match for my Progress.

Cheers
Dave
:lol: :P :)

Just picked up a Deluxe 5 for my first sortie into the 5 string area. First impressions are very good but unfortunately I've got no gigs or band rehearsals due for another 3 weeks so not yet been able to find out how it sounds through my gigging rig. :)