Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

Well - I've done the deed. I bought a black Classic J from Promenade Music, Morecambe. The Contemporary J which was my object of desire was just too much money for my limited budget. But the feel of the Classic J is great and the black Classic J will be like the photo neg of my Cort C5H which is white.

I'm liking the simplicity of the Classic J: passive (no batteries to worry about); three controls (pick up pan seems much more sensible than the Fender two volume controls). A great variety of sounds in all and great build quality.

Just had an email through from Overwater that I thought people might find interesting...

"Although standard spec' Aspiration Series basses will be available exclusively through our UK dealer network,
[b][u]we are beginning to prepare a few 'Limited Edition' Aspiration basses for those looking for something a little bit special[/u][/b].
Assembled and finished in the UK in custom colours and individually signed and numbered by Chris May. Give us a call to for further information."

Exciting!

Edited by skej21

• 5 weeks later...

Ordered an Aspiration Elite 5 string from my local music shop but still waiting....and waiting. They have a range of 4 strings but no 5's as yet....Does anyone know if there any out there? And the limited editions....are they available yet....money's waiting! V frustrating.
Cheers :)

[quote name='Bassist677' post='1263406' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:52 PM']Ordered an Aspiration Elite 5 string from my local music shop but still waiting....and waiting. They have a range of 4 strings but no 5's as yet....Does anyone know if there any out there? And the limited editions....are they available yet....money's waiting! V frustrating.
Cheers :)[/quote]

Me too - I'd have bought a contemporary j5 months ago if there was more of a colour choice. I played one and I was impressed, but the blueburst (tho quite muted) doesn't really do it for me, 3tsb would have clinched it, and I'd have liked rosewood board too. I know that they're testing the water with these products first before complicating the build with too many options, but I think just a bit more choice would help clinch a few more sales.

But I think the worst thing about Overwater is the terrible lack of info. These Aspiration basses themselves seemed to take months and months to get to market and there was only the odd titbit of info in the mags. Their website is never updated - I'm sure it's cos th team is busy crafting their gorgeous top end stuff by hand, but it can't cost that much to get a geek* in to update the website once a fortnight surely?

*- no offence to geeks natch.

Edited by sime17

[quote name='sime17' post='1263725' date='Jun 10 2011, 11:04 AM']Me too - I'd have bought a contemporary j5 months ago if there was more of a colour choice. I played one and I was impressed, but the blueburst (tho quite muted) doesn't really do it for me, 3tsb would have clinched it, and I'd have liked rosewood board too. I know that they're testing the water with these products first before complicating the build with too many options, but I think just a bit more choice would help clinch a few more sales.

But I think the worst thing about Overwater is the terrible lack of info. These Aspiration basses themselves seemed to take months and months to get to market and there was only the odd titbit of info in the mags. Their website is never updated - I'm sure it's cos th team is busy crafting their gorgeous top end stuff by hand, but it can't cost that much to get a geek* in to update the website once a fortnight surely?

*- no offence to geeks natch.[/quote]

Hi Guys,

Have just seen this last couple of posts on the Overwater by Tanglewood thread, I thought I should perhaps try to fill in a bit of background by way of explanation as to why there is a limited supply of certain models and colour choices etc..

This project was a very long time in the gestation – but before I would put our name to it, I really wanted to make sure this series of basses was the best we could build for the money!

We've not only designed a range of original basses, we also designed all the hardware, pick-ups and electronic to go on them, which has meant not only finding an appropriate factory for the instrument production (and build a relationship of trust with them), but we also had to find suitable manufacturers for all the parts. From initial design, to first prototypes, second prototypes, pre-production samples and visits to the Far East – this took over two years!

Everything was done from scratch and it has been a steep learning curve for both ourselves and the guys at the factory and despite all our work, we still had some teething problems with the first production run, which had to be sorted out in the UK before distribution!

As you probably know, we had a very successful launch at the bass show at Olympia in London in March, followed by our international début in Frankfurt in April and the general reception to the range from players, UK dealers and international distributors has I have to say, been beyond all expectation and everything except a few show samples was sold before it was even in the country!

Although we specified a second production run at the beginning of the year – I did not want to put this into operation until we where absolutely sure we had 'got all the bugs out' and any problem areas with the first batch have been resolved.

The second container is now on route and should arrive in the UK at the beginning of July and is essentially a repeat of the first run – but with some technical modifications and upgrades born out of our experience with the first production.

So no new models or finishes are included in this shipment (and I don't think we have any Aspiration Elite 5's - which were designated for 'production 3' - though I will check on this next week when I get the manifest..).

Production 3 – which I am meeting with the MD of Tanglewood on Wednesday to specify, will include some new finishes, some left handed models and a couple of fretlesses (which for sonic reasons, will have different body woods to the fretted versions). The Elite Aspirations will include new top wood options and probably some 5 strings. We will also be addind a new a new passive 'sub £300' Aspiration – which we have also designed and made prototypes for and sounds and feels great and which we're really excited about!

Production 3 will probably be built in late July/August, for September shipping – so should be in the shops during October. I realise the progress may seem ponderous - but I would rather take a little longer and get things right, than rush into larger production at the expense of quality control!

With regard to the 'Limited Edition' models – we are currently finishing a small batch of basses here in the UK workshops. These are hand finished and assembled in the UK, signed and numbered by myself – the first of which should be available and on out web site within a week or two.

I hope this answers a few of your concerns – and yes we will try to update the web site a little more often! But if anyone has any specific queries, or questions about our UK built instruments – please don't hesitate to give me a call on: +44 (0)1228 590 591

Thanks, Chris May

Mr May sir - I feel really bad now :) ! Really, no criticism intended other than the respectful and constructive kind! It speaks volumes of you and your company that you've taken the time to post this response personally.

Any of us who've seen the Aspirations in the flesh, played or bought them, must congratulate you guys for bringing us some great, affordable instruments that are still worthy of the brand- I'm not surprised they've flown off the shelves.

I guess it's just a little frustrating (for me) that the Contemporary J [i]could [/i]be exactly what I'm looking for but isn't available in a finish that appeals to me. Hey ho - you can't please everyone. It's also a little frustrating that these days whilst we are overindulged by information on this interwebthingy, one occasionally still finds it hard to get recent info on gear you're either immediately interested in or aspire to. It's probably a symptom of your core business being as successful as it is (there's obviously little point in advertising the custom builds if you're already doing as many as you can handle!) but down at the 'consumer' factory-produced end we're all spoiled by a slick websites, lots of choice and lots of stock.

Regretably, regardless of what new finishes it may bring, I'm afraid I might miss the boat on the 3rd run of Aspirations as I feel an imminent 5 string purchase coming on. I'm sure you know what us guys are like from doing custom builds - once you've set your heart on a certain look and colour...and in the 500 to 1500 squids price range there are plenty of good quality options about.

It could well end up being 'my loss' though!

PS - I hope this hasn't buggered my chances of coming to you for a custom p/j 5 string one day - which I fully intend to do when I can eventually afford one!

Thank you for your recent posts it been great to get some feedback and now here at overwater the wheels are in motion, Stu is currently working on the website and has set up a facebook page on which Chris, myself, Laurence, hyden or stu will be happy to answer any questions. We will also post regular blogs and update with whats new in the workshop.

Here are some pics of the Asperation Series Limited Editions - [url="http://www.facebook.com/overwaterbass"]http://www.facebook.com/overwaterbass[/url]

Edited by martin lee

[quote name='Bassist677' post='1263406' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:52 PM']Ordered an Aspiration Elite 5 string from my local music shop but still waiting....and waiting. They have a range of 4 strings but no 5's as yet....Does anyone know if there any out there? And the limited editions....are they available yet....money's waiting! V frustrating.
Cheers :)[/quote]

Hi,

Just a quick update - spent yesterday at Tanglewood HQ spec'ing production 3 - due in the UK in September/October and can confirm this will include 5 string Aspiration Elites, 4 string Aspiration Elite fretless's (with mahogany bodies to increase mid-range response) and left-handed 4 string Deluxes.. Plus two new models; the Aspiration Standard and Standard Plus - in five colours.. Should be easier to find as we've doubled the production run to just over 700 basses for the UK...

Any further queries either mail me at [email protected] or contact via our new Overwaterbasses Facebook page..

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by overwater

Great stuff Chris. I'm very interested in what the sub £300 Aspiration will be like as there's so much competition it'll be going up against. I would love to see the brand establish itself and go up against the more popular companies in that price bracket (Ibanez, Squier, Epiphone, Peavey etc).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='overwater' post='1271929' date='Jun 16 2011, 06:18 PM']Hi,

Just a quick update - spent yesterday at Tanglewood HQ spec'ing production 3 - due in the UK in September/October and can confirm this will include left-handed 4 string Deluxes..[/quote]

this is very exciting news. you sir have + 10 internets

[quote name='Machines' post='1285451' date='Jun 28 2011, 05:22 PM']I'm going to check out a Contemporary J 5 on Friday, am looking forward to it.[/quote]

Need your review ASAP plse mate, Im looking at one of these too...........however I have just clapped eyes on a Mayones Jabba 5 in trans blue. its over twice the price of the OW!!!

[quote name='MikanHannille' post='1285431' date='Jun 28 2011, 04:59 PM']Really interested on Artist. :) Would be very happy if there's a 5 for it. :)[/quote]

Hi,

No 5 string Artist planned at the moments I'm afraid - though the will be 5 string Elites in production 3 and probably a 5 string Standard Plus in production 4..

Chris

[quote name='neilb' post='1286783' date='Jun 29 2011, 06:34 PM']Probably because there are loads of JJ models about, so Chris thought a PJ config would be more marketable?[/quote]

[b]Got it in one! :) Though that doesn't preclude doing a JJ in the future...

Chris[/b]

cool, I'm a fan of the p/j setup, I don't understand how it produces the sound it does when used together, doesn't really sound like either to my ears but it's a good tone!

Added to that a proper p sound and an almost j sound it's a winner!

Need get my hands on a red one to try, excellent choice of colour there :)

Just wanted to rave on about mine again. Played it at a festival two weeks ago (and haven't had the chance to get on here and shout about it's brilliance since!) and did some recording with it last week and both times it stole the show... both sound and aesthetics!

Having played a number of Perception/Progress IIIs to compare it with, my Aspiration Contemporary J 5 can more than compete!

Just wanted to say, truly GREAT work on these Chris (and the Overwater gang). Been trying to get my hands on one ever since I played my bass tutors Progress III and a couple of other Overwater models that mates own. I have made a few little changes to mine that cost less than £100 in total (black hipshot tuners and control knobs, just to make mine a bit more personal!) and now I wouldn't want to part with it. Next step, save up some pennies to throw at Chris and the gang for a Progress III!

Sorry to bore anyone with this post, but for anyone who is interested or thinking of buying one, here's mine in all it's glory!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Guitar.co.uk' post='1213996' date='Apr 28 2011, 05:38 PM']Hello from another new Tanglewater dealer!

We have only received one bass so far and are looking forward to another 4 around June time. Chris May has been in for a visit to give us the low down on everything, he seems to have big plans for the range.

We've just taken some nice pics of the Contemporary J Series 5 String we have in stock, you can view them [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/merchymusic/sets/72157626467209239/show/"]here[/url].

More info [url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/3856-overwater_contemporary_j_series_5_string_bass"]here[/url].[/quote]
Good shop - I have no connection but the guys in there are great helps.

[quote name='skej21' post='1290830' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:40 AM']... I have made a few little changes to mine that cost less than £100 in total (black hipshot tuners and control knobs, just to make mine a bit more personal!) ...

[/quote]

Loving the black hardware. I've a black 4-string and something similar would look good...I think the OW bridge is too good to change though.

Well, I gave in and bought a Contemporary Jazz 5 on Friday, if anyone was at the LBGS I'm quite sure it was the one from the demo stand (after comparing pics from the day !).

I'm still getting to grips with it, but it's becoming apparent there is a similar basic tone (especially the neck pickup) the CJ5 has when compared to the Progress I had. I'm assuming that's down to the bespoke design of the pickups and EQ and it's nice to know that some effort was put itto that design to make it sound 'Overwatery', if such a phrase exists ! The EQ is alot more powerful than on the Progress and needs only very tiny adjustments to be effective. I like how the 'pull bright' switch and treble knob have different EQ centres, it almost makes it a 3 band EQ (bass, low treble, high treble).

Overall, I am astounded by the quality of the instrument at the price point, the only compromise I can find is the body wood (poplar) which is not reknowned as being a tone wood or being expensive, but in this case seems to be absolutely fine for the job. Also inside the back panel everything is very neat and not 'shoved in' like you see in some far eastern instrument's wiring. Top marks to Chris and his team (and of course Tanglewood), these instruments surely should be on peoples to try list ? I also need to try some Aspirations though as this model is the only one i've really focused my attentions on.