Why become a member? ×

Genelec 8020As

GM10

I'm considering upgrading to a set of Genelec 8020As active studio monitors. Anyone got 'em or got opinions on 'em? I've got a small space so they fit the bill but can speakers that size offer good bass response?

Edited by GM10

Cracking wee speakers but not going to be extended so I would not be mixing bass heavy material on them. However, anything by genelec will be musically quite balanced (if a touch bright for my taste) and you will get good results. I use these things from time to time on location (size being a winner) and always trust what I am hearing. I also use DT770 headphones which are extended to balance what I lack in the speakers.

That being said, the room is always the key in choosing speakers. Much like you would pair up a bass to strings and a singer to a mic you will want to try the speakers in situ to see how they react.

G

Edited by slaphappygarry

[quote name='discreet' post='785295' date='Mar 24 2010, 10:57 PM']They are totally excellent monitors, amazing stereo image and transparent.
In a small room you can't mix with an extended bottom end anyway (oo-er, etc).
Go for it.[/quote]

Good point.

I don't think I'll need much convincing here.

The one's on eBay are currently at £390 with 11 hours to go. Sod that, they're only £500 new. With delivery costs and the fact that they're two years old why would you pay that for what really is an unknown entity. Defies logic to me. I'm obviously out of my league here, Tannoy Reveal A5s at £250 from new are making more sense to me at the moment.