Why become a member? ×

Making the Marcus Miller sig Jazz

OldGit

This makes interesting reading: How the guy from Fender and Marcus Miller worked together to create the signature bass ..
[url="http://www.marcusmiller.com/special_mm5.html"]http://www.marcusmiller.com/special_mm5.html[/url]

Fascinating how much work goes into it and how many combinations and permutations of design and materials exist.
A good find. Thanks for sharing it!

All I need now is for a manufacturer/luthier to take this much care over creating an instrument just for ME!

"No! I want the bridge made from Brass and the saddles from Titanium. and I want it anodised in purple by 1,000 hand-picked virgins!"

"Jeeves! I want more balsamic vinegar in my Velociraptor and Marmite sandwich!"

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='7574' date='May 27 2007, 12:35 PM']Fascinating how much work goes into it and how many combinations and permutations of design and materials exist.
A good find. Thanks for sharing it!

All I need now is for a manufacturer/luthier to take this much care over creating an instrument just for ME!

"No! I want the bridge made from Brass and the saddles from Titanium. and I want it anodised in purple by 1,000 hand-picked virgins!"

"Jeeves! I want more balsamic vinegar in my Velociraptor and Marmite sandwich!"[/quote]

Jon Shuker will do all of that, no worries :) - though there's few Velociraptors in Yourshire, not since Dood demanded their claws for the Doodle's fingerboard markers ...

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='7718' date='May 27 2007, 05:48 PM']That is awesome.

I suspect you could give marcus miller any plank and he would make it sound awesome though.

You wonder how much all those [i]tiny[/i] tweaks made a difference. I suspect in all a little but not a HUGE amount.

G[/quote]

Yeah but if Fender asked what you wanted, like anything, you'd have a fiddle with all that stuff and try the wierd and different, wouldn't you?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='7701' date='May 27 2007, 04:52 PM']Iceni music
Goodfellow
Sei

are all within driving distance, But I think they'd never want to see me again once I started wanting to tweak things this way and that![/quote]

Not if they are as good as everyone says (and you have enough money)

Sorry if I promote my man Shuker but , hey if you find something good you want to share it with your mates ..
That's all. There are many, many other custom bass builders who are, I'm sure, just as good ... I just don't know them personally .

[quote][quote name='slaphappygarry' post='7718' date='May 27 2007, 05:48 PM']That is awesome.

I suspect you could give marcus miller any plank and he would make it sound awesome though.

You wonder how much all those [i]tiny[/i] tweaks made a difference. I suspect in all a little but not a HUGE amount.

G[/quote]

Yeah but if Fender asked what you wanted, like anything, you'd have a fiddle with all that stuff and try the wierd and different, wouldn't you?[/quote]

Totally :)

Cheers. Really interesting this. Just bought one of these a few weeks back and I'm really pleased with it. Took the bloody pick up cover off though - like trying to eat a sweet with the paper on.

I agree with the comments about the neck radius - very comfortable and really nice to play. The stuff about the bridge is interesting. The cynic in me thought Fender were just pinching pennies by not putting a Badass on but it seems I was wrong. Jury is out on the pre-amp. I'm OK with the treble voicing I think - not too sizzly and in keeping with the bass really. However, I find 40hz a bit rumbly. I didn't think I would ever be totally happy with the scratch plate, but its growing on me.

[quote name='OldGit' post='7833' date='May 27 2007, 09:40 PM']Not if they are as good as everyone says (and you have enough money)

Sorry if I promote my man Shuker but , hey if you find something good you want to share it with your mates ..
That's all. There are many, many other custom bass builders who are, I'm sure, just as good ... I just don't know them personally .[/quote]

Mike (Iceni) is already looking uncomfortable from bending over backwards to help people! I periodically pop in "on spec" and he's always had the all of my most bizarre requests to hand;

BadAss II
Three Solid Brass Schaller Knobs (Black)
ONE Schaller Straplock compatible button (Silver)

I also own one of his basses, a custom. But it wasn't made for me.
It wasn't made for anyone, it's the Chaser prototype.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='8143' date='May 28 2007, 04:08 PM']Mike (Iceni) is already looking uncomfortable from bending over backwards to help people! I periodically pop in "on spec" and he's always had the all of my most bizarre requests to hand;

BadAss II
Three Solid Brass Schaller Knobs (Black)
ONE Schaller Straplock compatible button (Silver)

I also own one of his basses, a custom. But it wasn't made for me.
It wasn't made for anyone, it's the Chaser prototype.[/quote]

Well I'd say that none of those are difficult to fix as long as the client doesn't mind paying for a top skilled custom bass builder to spend his time trawling Ebay and t'internet looking for odd things rather than building basses ...
A touch of realism is alway helpful ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='8357' date='May 28 2007, 10:27 PM']Well I'd say that none of those are difficult to fix as long as the client doesn't mind paying for a top skilled custom bass builder to spend his time trawling Ebay and t'internet looking for odd things rather than building basses ...
A touch of realism is alway helpful ..[/quote]
Er... He had 'em IN STOCK. Right there. Right then. Kicking about, like. Bear in mind he has the retail side to consider plus a couple of other people to help him out.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='8555' date='May 29 2007, 12:36 PM']Er... He had 'em IN STOCK. Right there. Right then. Kicking about, like. Bear in mind he has the retail side to consider plus a couple of other people to help him out.[/quote]

Ok I've lost the plot here :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='7580' date='May 27 2007, 12:39 PM']Jon Shuker will do all of that, no worries :) - though there's few Velociraptors in Yourshire, not since Dood demanded their claws for the Doodle's fingerboard markers ...[/quote]

lol.. demanded? Actually as it happens, they willingly gave them up when Jon was spotted at work on "the doodle".

i do suspect it may have been something to do with Samson and Ruby circling the building doing their best guard dog impressions though! Thats enough t omake anyone loosen their extremities!!

Hi All

I have had my MMV for a few years now and still love it. I spoke with Michael at Fender a few times as no-one in the UK seemed to be able to get it from Fender. Michael managed to get the rights codes for me though. He is a really nice guy and really knows his stuff even though he works for a mass marketing company

• 2 weeks later...