Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Characteristics ?

numptydumpty

So,in my continued search for a bass I can actually play :) ,I bought an Aria Jazz off Ebay ,hoping it would have a narrower neck than my other low-budget buys.When it arrived,although perfectly ok and playable,the neck is actually about 42mm wide at the nut.
I was under the impression that a narrow neck was one of the fundamental characteristics of a jazz?

On cheaper Jazzes they often use generic necks, same ones as you'd find on the brand's P-bass copy!
If you need correct neck dimensions on a budget then Squier are your best bet, although i played a Vintage last year that had quite a narrow neck.

Those Aria's are decent basses though, i picked up an STB Jazz a while ago and i love it! Punches well above it's weight

[quote name='numptydumpty' post='779260' date='Mar 18 2010, 11:03 PM']So can anyone recommend a jazz type bass which has the narrow neck?(say 38mm ish) Peavey milestone 3s look like they have the PUP config and are on budget (£50 ebay),hows the neck?[/quote]
Don't know about the Milestone, but I tried a Zodiac before Xmas and was quite impressed. Jazz type neck, though with a P/J pickup configuration. Good price too.

If you have the money go for the squier VMJ, when i tried it out i was half way through my custom jazz build but if i had tried it before i had started to buy the parts i woulda bought it, plays and feels great (only had it for about 20 mins). Ask around here and im sure youl get some feedback on the VMJ or even a quick search will bring up plenty of info.