Why become a member? ×

Dingwall combustion

waltsdog

Looking for a bit of advice on these, so has anyone got one or played one to give me an idea of the sound and how easy it is to get over the fanned frets?

I'm looking for something to replace my G&L tribute which I haven't really been getting on with as everytime i pick it up I constantly fiddle with the eq and switches, I just haven't been able to tame the output sometimes.

I think a 5 string may be the way forward and the dingwalls look awesome, otherwse it may just be another 4 string ray on the cards.

I played one at the Gallery a few weeks back. The fanned frets were very easy to get used to and the low strings felt very tight. However I didn't really like the neck profile on the Dingwall and build quality wasn't amazing for the price.

I had a shot of a few different Afterburners about 3 years ago in the Guitar Centre. 10 mins to get used to the fanned fretboard & sounded very nice too.
Unfortunately I couldn't get $3000 together to get one (which back then was less than £1500!). :)

[quote name='waltsdog' post='780801' date='Mar 20 2010, 02:26 PM']Just tried a couple out, hardly even noticed the fanned frets after a couple of minutes. The ABZ really is awesome, wasn't that impressed with the combustions though.[/quote]

Was there quite a lot of difference between the lower priced models?

They are quite different.
I pretty much agree with thedonutman, really didn't like the profile on the combustions and they just didn't feel as well made. The B on both of them is really good but I guess that is a given at 37" scale, it felt much better than the other 5's I've played.
The ABZ had a great neck, really fast, easy to play and a perfect low action. The passive pickups seemed to have a lot more usable tones compared to the actives in the combustion.