Why become a member? ×

Just got my SVT2(non pro) from USA to Aus!!!!!!

rodl2005

[attachment=3365:SVT2.jpg]WOW what a beast!!!! I've got a Fender Bassman 300PRO(300w all tube) amp, but after having my Ampeg V4BH, THE TONE outta this just made me hanker for the Ampeg sound. So I watched Ebay USA & AUS. found a good [b]SVT2[/b] in USA, got it FED-EX'd out to Tasmania, converted the 110V to 240V(thanx to my FANTASTIC tube tech-Hutch) & she's good to go!!! I've only tried it at home-& not at any volume yet :) But this weekend I've 2 gigs where I'll be able to crank it!!! :huh:
Will give a full review after this!!!!
ps... the pic is the one the seller placed on ebay- I can't get my camera going until after the weekend. Will post pics of my own then too! :huh:

[quote name='rodl2005' post='85234' date='Nov 8 2007, 08:21 AM'][attachment=3365:SVT2.jpg]WOW what a beast!!!! I've got a Fender Bassman 300PRO(300w all tube) amp, but after having my Ampeg V4BH, THE TONE outta this just made me hanker for the Ampeg sound. So I watched Ebay USA & AUS. found a good [b]SVT2[/b] in USA, got it FED-EX'd out to Tasmania, converted the 110V to 240V(thanx to my FANTASTIC tube tech-Hutch) & she's good to go!!! I've only tried it at home-& not at any volume yet :huh: But this weekend I've 2 gigs where I'll be able to crank it!!! :huh:
ps... the pic is the one the seller placed on ebay- I can't get my camera going until after the weekend. Will post pics of my own then too! :huh:[/quote]
Wow. I was wacthing that same head on ebay. Not only do you have the Bassman 300pro but now this. Both my dream heads.
Jealous....pfft. :huh: ......actually yep. :)

• 1 month later...

I sold the BAssman 300PRO :) SAD to see it go!! Miss the 2 channel overdrive blend already!!
The SVT2is superb tho. Not quite as much headroom tho, but still PLENTY!!!!
Done about 5 gigs with it so far & still haven't really "twiddled" any knobs!! ;-)
As I said-I'm a plug n play bassist really.
Usually have Volume on 3/4 outta 10, bass flat-5/10, mids 6/10-mid freq 4/5(800hz I think), Treb. 5 & 1/2 outta 10. ulta hi & Lo off, haven't even used the 6 band graphic EQ yet. & the Pre/post D.I. works great- getting the SVT2 sound into the PA = GREAT!!!!!!

[attachment=4218:DSC02427.JPG] here's a pic of it on the NV610!! Sounds SO good with this cab, I haven't tried it with the 1x15 & 4x10 or 1x12 yet!! :-(
It's GREAt having to choose between using the Ampeg V4BH or the SVT2-BOTH sound very similar & I find myself taking the V4BH to gigs where we don't need HEAPS of vol. (have PA support) as then I can run the V4BH at JUST at break up point- where if I dig in it overdrives a bit, & if I play softer, it stays CLEAN!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then for li'l gig or for my jazz band- using my EUB, I use the LMII. Lovely amp too, but IMHO cannot compete with an ALL TUBE power amp!!!!

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='bassjamm' post='106864' date='Dec 20 2007, 08:19 AM']What's the difference between this and one of the pro ones then?[/quote]

The later 'pro' heads have a 9 band graphic with different EQ centres, a 'Drive' control, an input gain control and additional gain pad, with a single input socket. The schematic design is a little different too no doubt affecting the resulting tone.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='85234' date='Nov 8 2007, 08:21 AM'][attachment=3365:SVT2.jpg]WOW what a beast!!!! I've got a Fender Bassman 300PRO(300w all tube) amp, but after having my Ampeg V4BH, THE TONE outta this just made me hanker for the Ampeg sound. So I watched Ebay USA & AUS. found a good [b]SVT2[/b] in USA, got it FED-EX'd out to Tasmania, converted the 110V to 240V(thanx to my FANTASTIC tube tech-Hutch) & she's good to go!!! I've only tried it at home-& not at any volume yet :) But this weekend I've 2 gigs where I'll be able to crank it!!! :huh:
ps... the pic is the one the seller placed on ebay- I can't get my camera going until after the weekend. Will post pics of my own then too! :huh:[/quote]

Congrats mate!! Enjoy and give us a full review!!

Jim

The SVT2PRO -as stated by DOOD had the 9 band graphic & drive & a few other more "modern' touches -like a GAIN knob & master vol. & most importantly has apparently a VERY different circuit...Not as simple- I'm NO tech BTW- So I could be wrong here... but I've heard..... it's a far simpler circuit, more similar to original SVT's of early '70's & similar to the NEW SVT-VR.
I have compared the two-SVT2 & SVT2PRO..tho NOT in an A/B test at the same time. I played a SVT2PRO thru my BErgantino NV610 one afternoon & played MY SVT2 thru the NV610 later that night-BOTH in the same room, with the same bass. Just P.Bass into SVT2/SVT2PRO into Berg. NV610.
MY results/findings were....... SVT2PRO was not as punchy as non pro SVT2 , was also- less clarity & less -hard to describe....but the SVT2 non pro seemed to be cleaner-showed more of the true colours of the P bass I was using. The SVT2PRO was a bit muddier(all controls flat) & seemed to be more "cluttered" I dunno how to describe it- As I say- PRO showed less of the personality ofthe bass.
The SVT2- was/is.... superb-I liked it a LOT better than the 2PRO-MY opinion ONLY here tho- the controls work well, I admit tho in the 5 or so gigs I've done with it so far-I've not even used the Graphic EQ, OR the ultra Hi/LOW buttons. One LOUD gig we did, with NO F.O.H. PA support, I had the vol. on 4/10 & it was VERY loud So I won't be worrying about headroom. It sounds similar to my V4BH, only BIGGER & thicker!! THICK is actually a good word to describe it's tone..& it SITS perfectly in the mix-right where the bass should be! If U wanna cut thru-EASY either just hit the mids up a bit, or dig in more. It makes our band sound REAL powerful & sounds SUPERB thru the NV610.
I'll do a more comprehensive review after I've used the amp a bit more & played with the controls. At most so far the controls have ended up at the following after a gig:- VOL- 4/10, Bass 5/10, Mid 6/10 Mid Freq 4/5( 800Hz IIRC), Treb.-5/10...... so U see I've gotten a GREAT sound by not doin much at all!!!!!!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='107440' date='Dec 21 2007, 03:10 AM']The SVT2PRO -as stated by DOOD had the 9 band graphic & drive & a few other more "modern' touches -like a GAIN knob & master vol. & most importantly has apparently a VERY different circuit...Not as simple- I'm NO tech BTW- So I could be wrong here... but I've heard..... it's a far simpler circuit, more similar to original SVT's of early '70's & similar to the NEW SVT-VR.
I have compared the two-SVT2 & SVT2PRO..tho NOT in an A/B test at the same time. I played a SVT2PRO thru my BErgantino NV610 one afternoon & played MY SVT2 thru the NV610 later that night-BOTH in the same room, with the same bass. Just P.Bass into SVT2/SVT2PRO into Berg. NV610.
MY results/findings were....... SVT2PRO was not as punchy as non pro SVT2 , was also- less clarity & less -hard to describe....but the SVT2 non pro seemed to be cleaner-showed more of the true colours of the P bass I was using. The SVT2PRO was a bit muddier(all controls flat) & seemed to be more "cluttered" I dunno how to describe it- As I say- PRO showed less of the personality ofthe bass.
The SVT2- was/is.... superb-I liked it a LOT better than the 2PRO-MY opinion ONLY here tho- the controls work well, I admit tho in the 5 or so gigs I've done with it so far-I've not even used the Graphic EQ, OR the ultra Hi/LOW buttons. One LOUD gig we did, with NO F.O.H. PA support, I had the vol. on 4/10 & it was VERY loud So I won't be worrying about headroom. It sounds similar to my V4BH, [i][b]only BIGGER & thicker!![/b][/i] THICK is actually a good word to describe it's tone..& it SITS perfectly in the mix-right where the bass should be! If U wanna cut thru-EASY either just hit the mids up a bit, or dig in more. It makes our band sound REAL powerful & sounds SUPERB thru the NV610.
I'll do a more comprehensive review after I've used the amp a bit more & played with the controls. At most so far the controls have ended up at the following after a gig:- VOL- 4/10, Bass 5/10, Mid 6/10 Mid Freq 4/5( 800Hz IIRC), Treb.-5/10...... so U see I've gotten a GREAT sound by not doin much at all!!!!!![/quote]

I have been told this numerous times..... :) Great review.

Edited by jammie17

Dude...

I've joined you...i went out to collect an Ampeg 'Skunkworks' SVT head on Saturday, and came back with one of these...

How awesome are they?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

I gigged it on Saturday, went just my Dr.Bass 1260 8 ohm cab...for my 7 piece full on funk fest band...so pushed about 175 watts with it being at 8ohms (amp is 300 @ 4/2 ohms)...and it blew the play away, the guys in the band, me...and those in the toilets apparently :) Had the sub-low and ultra-hi switches pushed in, bypassed the 6 band EQ...it was just phenominal!

These amps are trully awesome people!!!

J

bASSJAM - Not s'posed to run 'em at 8 ohms. Don't do that too often. I ran mine at 4ohms when the 2 ohm botton was on & the sound was just "not right" I dunno - my very experienced tube tech has said that SOME amps are OK to do this with, but NOT a good idea if U want the amp to last!!
Congrats on yr amp tho!!! U R right a great amp!!!!!