Sign in to follow this  
jon_kemo

FS: Cheap No-name Precision SOLD

Up for sale is this No-name Precision Bass in Sunburst with a Maple Neck. Don't know alot about it other than its solid wood is unbranded apart from a sticker on the rear of the headstock saying "Made in GDR" which I assume is German Democratic Republic. Despite its cheapness its actually very playable after I shimmed the neck and added a Gotoh 201 bridge. I'm only selling as I have too many basses still! The bass does have a few dings but nothing too serious which is reflected in the price.

I'm looking for [b]£75[/b] and would prefer collection, however postage can be arranged.

Edited by jon_kemo

[quote name='jon_kemo' post='768221' date='Mar 8 2010, 05:06 PM']Up for sale is this No-name Precision Bass in Sunburst with a Maple Neck. Don't know alot about it other than its solid wood is unbranded apart from a sticker on the rear of the headstock saying "Made in GDR" which I assume is German Democratic Republic. Despite its cheapness its actually very playable after I shimmed the neck and added a Gotoh 201 bridge. I'm only selling as I have too many basses still! The bass does have a few dings but nothing too serious which is reflected in the price.

I'm looking for [b]£75[/b] and would prefer collection, however postage can be arranged.

[/quote]

I think that looks like a Marlin Slammer (although there is no Marlin on the fretboard so it could have been made after they were taken over) . They were produced for a company in Wales (I think it was called British Music Strings) which was eventually taken over by Hohner & then closed down. They were mainly sold through catalogue companies such as Marshall Ward etc. I've just sold a Marlin strat which also had a "Made in GDR" on sticker on it (although I don't think they actually were, probably just assembled there) & had the truss rod adjustment at the heel end of the neck like your bass - hence the recess in the pickguard. My Strat had a nice flat fretboard which I preferred as I found it easier to play.

Edited by tazza1