Why become a member? ×

Hondo II bass

TheBlueFalcon

I have a Hondo II bass which was bought for me back in the 80's (roughly 1987) and I am wondering if it is any good and if it's worth anything at all? I'll have to take some photos, but I wondered if anyone could tell me anything about it from the model?

In all honesty it's not really in great condition, but a lot of people like relics!! :)

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='767425' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:06 PM']I have a Hondo II bass which was bought for me back in the 80's (roughly 1987) and I am wondering if it is any good and if it's worth anything at all? I'll have to take some photos, but I wondered if anyone could tell me anything about it from the model?

In all honesty it's not really in great condition, but a lot of people like relics!! :)[/quote]

Oh my god! Where is Captain Japcrap when you need him? (Said in 1960`s batman style).

He`s your man.

Jez

not worth a lot, they'd switched production to Korea by then, the earlier Jap ones are quite good with Dimarzio p/ups fitted, there's a wikipedia page all about them [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo_(guitar_company)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo_(guitar_company)[/url]

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='768202' date='Mar 8 2010, 04:52 PM']not worth a lot, they'd switched production to Korea by then, the earlier Jap ones are quite good with Dimarzio p/ups fitted, there's a wikipedia page all about them [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo_(guitar_company)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondo_(guitar_company)[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the link. It was bought 2nd hand. I would imagine it would have been at least a few years old when I got it.

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='768758' date='Mar 9 2010, 02:55 AM']Thanks for the link. It was bought 2nd hand. I would imagine it would have been at least a few years old when I got it.[/quote]

TBH I'd be surprised if any of them were any good. I came across a bunch of Hondo P basses over the years and none of them were any better than Encore P basses (if anyone here's got an Encore precision they absolutely love then I am sorry!).

Even if it is a surprisingly good bass, the name will keep the price way down.

Well if you think it's worth anything then keep it. I went out a gigged a bass tonight that I paid £120 for, it sounded great and played as well as any Fender I've had, and the audience were hugely appreciative so either it sounded ace or they didn't care.

What I'm trying to say is if you've already got the bass and a use for the bass and you like it then keep it, but don't expect it to be valued by others.

• Like 1

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='767452' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:42 PM']I remember those but not fondly, sorry. I doubt it's got any collectable value unless you got it signed by Jesus.[/quote]

Oddly, not only did his dad leave his signature on my few but he was also partly involved in making them.....

:)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='768186' date='Mar 8 2010, 04:41 PM']Oh my god! Where is Captain Japcrap when you need him? (Said in 1960`s batman style).

He`s your man.

Jez[/quote]
In Gran Canaria [i]sans[/i] internet connection. :) And [i]sans[/i] my lunch on a regular basis.

Anyway I'm back now and taking solids as well, so help (of a sort) is at hand.

First of all, Mr Falcon, Hondo II is a brand, not a model, so regrettably without pics I can tell you nowt about the specific bass - so get snappin'.

PaulWarning - wrong way around - early/mid 70s Hondos were all Korean and anyone who tells you otherwise is plainly getting their facts from Ebay sales pitches. They were uniformly low/mid quality up until the late 70s when steps were taken to upgrade the brand by installing DiMarzios in some models, and others being MIJ. Later Korean Hondos can be quite decent (I had a lovely set-neck LP copy) as broadly speaking the Korean factories were about 5 years behind Japan in terms of quality. Hardware on all Koreans seems to be pretty guff, though.

So anyway that's it until we see the pics. :rolleyes:

Jon.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='769978' date='Mar 10 2010, 02:35 AM']TBH I'd be surprised if any of them were any good. I came across a bunch of Hondo P basses over the years and none of them were any better than Encore P basses (if anyone here's got an Encore precision they absolutely love then I am sorry!).

Even if it is a surprisingly good bass, the name will keep the price way down.[/quote]
I've got an 1981 professional II that I'm fond of, made in Japan, with Dimarzio's, made at the same factory as Tokai's I believe, but I may be wrong, again

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='771814' date='Mar 11 2010, 04:47 PM']I've got an 1981 professional II that I'm fond of, made in Japan, with Dimarzio's, made at the same factory as Tokai's I believe, but I may be wrong, again[/quote]
More likely Matsumoku but Tokai has been "fingered", although no-one seems to know what models were made where. We only know about Mat because some conveniently say so on the neck plate. TBH by the time Hondo were getting into the 80s, quality of the better-end models was good wherever they were from because Korean factories were chucking out some quality stuff by then.

J.

one of these was up for sale on here recently. It went. Same to see it go to a charity shop! I've got a S D Curlee licensed by Hondo - nice little bass. not worth much, but I'd never part with it. Ever. Had it professionally set up a little while ago & was thinking about changing the p/ups. The luthier said dont, they're pretty good..

So it is as it is!

My first bass was a Hondoll (copy of a precision) Weighed more than my sister in law,but not as ugly.
I would classify them in the 'columbus '/'satellite' budget category.
My first 'proper' bass was headless,which was quite a relief after learning on a tree trunk.

You're probably better off hanging it on a wall.(Tho, be careful your house don't collapse)

Hope this helps

[quote name='thegreenman555' post='773082' date='Mar 12 2010, 07:30 PM']one of these was up for sale on here recently. It went. Same to see it go to a charity shop! I've got a S D Curlee licensed by Hondo - nice little bass. not worth much, but I'd never part with it. Ever. Had it professionally set up a little while ago & was thinking about changing the p/ups. The luthier said dont, they're pretty good..

So it is as it is![/quote]

SD Curlee, as does Hondo, brings back fond memories - along with Columbus (my first 'proper' bass, a Jazz copy), Antoria, Jedson, Gherson, and many more. And if I'm not mistaken, did Woolworths have a brand called Winfield?

Pass me that Werthers, dear.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='773090' date='Mar 12 2010, 07:39 PM']SD Curlee, as does Hondo, brings back fond memories - along with Columbus (my first 'proper' bass, a Jazz copy), Antoria, Jedson, Gherson, and many more. And if I'm not mistaken, did Woolworths have a brand called Winfield?

Pass me that Werthers, dear.[/quote]

Back then,all this was fields.............

:)

Edited by Doddy

SD Curlee, blimey there's a name from the past alright. I remember trying one once, it had two P pups if I remember correctly and was Stanley-Clarke-Alembic in shape. Crap balance but sounded pretty brutal.

EDIT: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._D._Curlee"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._D._Curlee[/url]