Why become a member? ×

Have we done Baer amps and cabs yet?

wateroftyne

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1362053242' post='1994979']
Amp will be an Ashdown Spyder 550. Can't wait to have a "proper" midrange ! May I ask you what was not to your taste in the Baer cabs ?
[/quote]

I am just really picky as I am sure Mark Stickley will tell you!
I prefer the bigger low mids and polite upper mid voicing of the HD212, I had owned one before and was always totally happy with tone, but struggled with the weight.
The idea with the ML was to store one cab where I normally play and not have to carry much gear around, sadly this did not work out due to security isssues so I went back to a single cab solution.
The Baer is a quality piece of gear, as Mark said to me, this is kind of like choosing between two very high end sports cars, it is difficult to go wrong!

This is all very interesting.

I'm seriously considering selling my HS210s literally because I fancy a change, and the Baers were toward the top of my list along with a pair of Berg 12s or something Barefaced.

it's silly really - the HS210s are probably as good as I'll get. GAS is a terrible thing.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1362056047' post='1995044']
This is all very interesting.

I'm seriously considering selling my HS210s literally because I fancy a change, and the Baers were toward the top of my list along with a pair of Berg 12s or something Barefaced.

it's silly really - the HS210s are probably as good as I'll get. GAS is a terrible thing.
[/quote]

HS 210's are so amazing, I used to own a HS410 and loved it to bits, weight again was the issue. Once you have owned ceramic Bergs there really is little else that will scratch that itch imho.
Can't speak for Barefaced as I have never tried them, I have heard very mixed reports about them, the guy who bought my original HD212 tried one and sent it back, he tried it out with his mates and thought it sounded very poor(but loud) he loves the Berg........ other people swear by them, others say they look like they have been knocked up in a garden shed, who knows!

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1362054331' post='1995005']
....The Baer ML112 is very similar in output and tone to the AE210, it has a little more ultimate low end ability and less top end, although the Baer can sound quite bright as the midrange driver goes to 9k I believe.2 ML112's will be similar to a good 410, maybe like an AE410 but with a bit more low end.
Are your AE210's the earlier or later versions? the later ones are a bit less aggresive in the upper midrange making them sound more refined and polite.
A single ML112 will sound bigger and louder than a single AE112 but would not match an AE112 stack.
If I already owned your AE210's I would feel no need to change to the ML112, you would get a very slight weight saving and a slight chage in cab voicing but that is all, and nothing that a little eq work can't overcome. The ML112 is also a bigger box than the AE210, The Bergs are remarkably compact!
Think carefully before you let them go, they are getting quite rare and are one of the best 210 cabs around!....[/quote]

Hi Ian, very interesting, thanks.

I mainly use my AE112's. They are a smaller footprint, lighter and 95% of what I want to sound like. It's that 5% that has got me thinking about Baer, the new Bergs and Alex's Big Baby.

My ultimate goal is to cover all my needs with 2 cabs, weighing as close to 30lbs each as I can get.

I’ve been auditioning a lot of gear lately and I’ve found that I’m at a point where nothing sounds [i]better[/i] than what I currently own. There are only slight shades of difference. For example, my Lull sounded better than the Nordy P5; my Lakland sounded just as good as the Roscoe Beck V; Aguilar DB cabs might sound slightly better than my AE cabs but as they are 50% heavier they will never make it on to the wish list and the Thunderfunk has never been seriously challenged.

The last great leap forward in tone was when I put flats on the Lull. The Fodera basses I tried were amazing but these days I'm not even close to that end of the market.

I guess my spare cash would be better spent on lessons.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1362061257' post='1995151']

I mainly use my AE112's. They are a smaller footprint, lighter and 95% of what I want to sound like. It's that 5% that has got me thinking about Baer, the new Bergs and Alex's Big Baby.

My ultimate goal is to cover all my needs with 2 cabs, weighing as close to 30lbs each as I can get.

I’ve been auditioning a lot of gear lately and I’ve found that I’m at a point where nothing sounds [i]better[/i] than what I currently own. There are only slight shades of difference. For example, my Lull sounded better than the Nordy P5; my Lakland sounded just as good as the Roscoe Beck V; Aguilar DB cabs might sound slightly better than my AE cabs but as they are 50% heavier they will never make it on to the wish list and the Thunderfunk has never been seriously challenged.

The last great leap forward in tone was when I put flats on the Lull. The Fodera basses I tried were amazing but these days I'm not even close to that end of the market.

[/quote]
I am actually done with gear for now, I might be tempted by a max 9.2 or maybe a carbine but right now I just need to get better at playing!
I have tried many high end basses as well and come back to my Nordy VJ4 every time, I am also using a VJ5 with big singles at the moment which is also really nice.
I think Carey is sublime as a builder.

[/quote]

Be careful with the reasonability now! Before you know it, you'll get a rash that will quickly develop into LAS.
Again: be careful!

BTW, thanks to both you and Iana for some great posts. I learned stuff.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[/quote]

Not sure what your tone goals are but i would suggest checking out the Purple Chili 112s. Great sounding cabs that are 28lbs a piece

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1362055164' post='1995026']
I am just really picky as I am sure Mark Stickley will tell you!
I prefer the bigger low mids and polite upper mid voicing of the HD212, I had owned one before and was always totally happy with tone, but struggled with the weight.
The idea with the ML was to store one cab where I normally play and not have to carry much gear around, sadly this did not work out due to security isssues so I went back to a single cab solution.
The Baer is a quality piece of gear, as Mark said to me, this is kind of like choosing between two very high end sports cars, it is difficult to go wrong!
[/quote]

I consider it a very nice compliment to be considered in the same company as Jim's cabs and we appreciate you giving the cabs a try.

[quote name='R Baer' timestamp='1362131963' post='1996104']

I consider it a very nice compliment to be considered in the same company as Jim's cabs and we appreciate you giving the cabs a try.
[/quote]

My understanding is that they are even made in the same facility, fit and finish is second to none. I would still like to try the ml115, I that will be more my thing.

Got the 2 x ML112's today. Only been able to play at home with them, but they are what I hoped they would be. Lows are stong, yet tight. mids are articulate and very present. Highs are there but not harsh.

The real test, of course, is loud with a band. I have a rehearsal on weds so will report back.

Ian, thanks for taking such good care of them ! And Mark, from Bassdirect, thanks for the quick, safe posting. Thanks all !

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1362173206' post='1996889']
Got the 2 x ML112's today. Only been able to play at home with them, but they are what I hoped they would be. Lows are stong, yet tight. mids are articulate and very present. Highs are there but not harsh.

The real test, of course, is loud with a band. I have a rehearsal on weds so will report back.

Ian, thanks for taking such good care of them ! And Mark, from Bassdirect, thanks for the quick, safe posting. Thanks all !
[/quote]

Hey no problem, I try to buy top end gear and look after it.
Hope you enjoy them, they are amazing cabs!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1361564839' post='1987796']Yes, the advertising thing does bug me a bit, especially when it gets excessive. If I'm having a pint in a pub, the last think I want is somebody trying to sell me insurance or flashing their corporate logo at me.[/quote]

Not wanting to open a can of worms that's just been welded shut again, so feel free to delete this if inappropriate. But in my experience - and I'd be very disappointed in my ex-colleagues in particular parts of the advertising world if this wasn't the case........ [i]any[/i] pub I've ever been in you can't help but be [i]assaulted[/i] by advertising no matter which direction you look in.
I did stuff for Bells & Gordons many years ago and the array of items developed was amazing. The annual free-bar night out was quite good too. :gas: