Why become a member? ×

LED Colours on Pedals

BruceBass3901

thats an interesting question. Why do you want to know that? My bass blowtorch has a nice blue LED. Theres no reason you cant change an LED to a different coloured on on one of your pedals but you will probably have to change the resistor thats before it as well

[quote name='Currrls' post='766618' date='Mar 7 2010, 04:00 AM']Theres no reason you cant change an LED to a different coloured one[/quote]

Be careful with this. If the LED is purely an indicator then there's no problem, but sometimes LEDs are used as a voltage dropper within a circuit. Most of the 'older' colours (red, green, yellow) have a forward voltage of around 2V, but some of the 'newer' (blue, white, violet) are up over 3.5V.

There's more information [url="http://www.oksolar.com/led/led_color_chart.htm"]here[/url].

A

I have a true bypass EBS pedal and an older non-true-bypass model of the same brand. The older models' LED is red when on and off, but in the newer models the LED is red when on but white (transparent) when off. What's up with that?

All my pedals have red LEDs except the T-Rex Bass Juice which has 2 super bright white LEDs that are a pain in the ass live because they're so blinding on a dark stage...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='768754' date='Mar 9 2010, 02:15 AM']I have a true bypass EBS pedal and an older non-true-bypass model of the same brand. The older models' LED is red when on and off, but in the newer models the LED is red when on but white (transparent) when off. What's up with that?

All my pedals have red LEDs except the T-Rex Bass Juice which has 2 super bright white LEDs that are a pain in the ass live because they're so blinding on a dark stage...[/quote]

You have a super bright Red LED, they are clear when off!

And they cause impotence in hamsters.
I like to colour-code the LEDs, e.g. I put a green LED in a green Bad Monkey pedal and a blue LED in my blue Boss bass chorus.

EDIT. Speaking of Boss pedals, why do they use such pathetic little LEDs? Those red 3mm things can be almost impossible to see on a brightly lit stage. I fitted a 5mm one instead, impossible to miss! :)

[quote name='Rich' post='769120' date='Mar 9 2010, 12:42 PM']EDIT. Speaking of Boss pedals, why do they use such pathetic little LEDs? Those red 3mm things can be almost impossible to see on a brightly lit stage. I fitted a 5mm one instead, impossible to miss! :)[/quote]

That's a pet hate of mine too. The only Boss pedal I still use a lot is my OC-2 though and the footswitch is crap so I just leave it on*. Thankfully it powers up 'on' so I don't have to stomp 20 times on it to get it to do anything at all.

* It's in one side of a blended chain with other switches to bypass it.