Why become a member? ×

Speaker cable

Badass

I am looking for 6mm jack to jack speaker cable around 1 - 1.5m long. So far my searches have drawn a blank. I hate using normal 'guitar leads' for speaker connections.

So guys where do you buy your speaker cables from?

And yeah i know, I [i]could[/i] make them myself, but rather buy :)

Edited by Badass

[quote name='Badass' post='766350' date='Mar 6 2010, 07:03 PM']Yeah I know. The supplied cable is speaker cable but very thin, and not what I want for my 500watt amp !

All sorted now, thanks to OBBM :)[/quote]
Most good music shops will make them up for you, you can choose your cables and plugs also.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='766348' date='Mar 6 2010, 07:03 PM']Instrument leads aren't designed to carry anywhere near the current an amp head puts out, if it's a powerful head, it could melt the cable and completely bugger up the head. I think.[/quote]

Worse, instrument cables (especially longer runs) will load the impedence and may well damage the amp.

My thoughts on the matter:

[quote]In order to get the best performance from a solid-state bass amp/speaker set-up you need to have a high damping factor. A low damping factor will give a woolly sound whereas a high damping factor gives tighter control of the driver and will give much clearer low frequencies. This is especially important at frequencies around the driver’s resonant frequency, which for a bass is usually in the order of 40 – 45 Hz, well within the usable frequency range of a bass. The resistance of the speaker cable directly affects the damping factor and needs to be as low as possible. Heavier gauge cables have a much lower resistance and therefore help to achieve this. They are also more than capable of handling the high transients produced by a bass amplifier.

The problem is not so prevalent with guitar amps as the resonant frequency of many speakers is below the guitar’s frequency range. That being said it is still important to use a good quality, low resistance cable and not an instrument cable as the there are still significant voltage and current transients.[/quote]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='767060' date='Mar 7 2010, 05:15 PM']Shouldn't that be impedance then, since you are specifying frequencies?[/quote]

Theoretically it should be but because the inductive and capacitive components are minimal, it is the resistive component that has the major influence..

There is an interesting paper on speaker cables [url="http://procosound.com/downloads/whitepapers/Understanding%20Speaker%20Cables.pdf"]here[/url]