Why become a member? ×

Were You Ever A SASM?

Pete Academy

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='765376' date='Mar 5 2010, 04:45 PM']Nah I was one of the sneering shoppers. The only player's slap sound I like is Larry Graham's, everyone else sounds like a dustbin full of cutlery rolling down an escalator.[/quote]

How about 'an office full of woodpeckers simultaneously typing'?

Any others?

I have always liked slap grooves but very few people can do it..
My stance is ..who wants to listen to a slap solo in the middle of a song...?
you'd get rightly laughed at by the band if you tried to do it...or just told to f*** right off with that :)

Best slap bass now are fills or 2 bars max.. IMV. just short enough for no one to get upset by it... and doesn't detract from the whole song.
Case in point, Rainey's chorus in 'Peg', so subtle you can get away from the 2-bar rule.

Maybe Miller could do a whole album supporting with slap bass, but otherwise very few and far between.

Bass players writing songs that are entire vehicles for a slap riff/solo mostly don't work either.. but there are a few exeptions..IMV

Did I do the shop thing..?? might have been guilty once or twice.. never saturdays though....:rolleyes: now it rightly gets on your tits...and at gigs and shows also..

Well, I was working in soho in the mid'80s onwards(who said spanking the monkey! :) )
I bought my first 'proper bass in '88. Of course, I was running before I could walk.
I was getting the American guitar mags,and a couple of videos(Rudy Sarzo,Stu Hamm etc.)

Me and a couple of friends were regulars in tin pan alley.
Flea/claypool weren't around then,and as a metalhead I despised level42(of course mk is awesome)

I was trying the 'new tricks' Slapping,piano style,2 handed tapping.
And to be honest ,I was useless at all that . And yes,I did impersonate scaffolding falling on top of corrugated iron sheets .

Nice stuff if you can do it,but if you do,use sparingly (like precription drugs)