Why become a member? ×

Things to keep in mind with buying cabs for a 5 String?

fusionbassist1

Hello again, I just can't keep away I'm afraid, you're all so helpful (Y)

Still on a mission to buy new cabs. I AM going to get a 5 string after this setup is all payed for so I thought I'd find it really useful and many others would aswell if there was some sort of a checklist of things to check out for and keep in mind when you're buying cabs with a low B or even a high C (or both!) string in mind. Kind of like the topic with what to be checking in second hand gear that's here somwhere.

Things i think should be adressed if anyone feels like contributing to people who are complete greenhorns to added stringness were

freq. range (is it a made up number??)
ports on a cabinet, how many and they're layout on the amplifier
output of speakers accross the range
loss of frequencies and the causes
loss of clarity/distortion
good cabinet combinations
manufacturers who stand out
price you're looking at
tweeters/horns etc
sub-woofers (?)
different speaker use according to acoustics
footprint on stage/weight/portability
performance of cabs in a band setting VS solo bass

I have no idea if this will catch on but I'd find it really usefull to know more about what I should be looking for in cabs when I've got 'extended bass' in mind.

Thanx a lot everyone,

FB

As always, the main thing is: how does it sound?

Frequency range usually has some science behind it, but dont put too much thought into it. An industry standard cab is the Eden 410XST, and that starts rolling off about 50-something Hz.

All the usual caveats with different speaker sizes and combinations apply to ERBs too, and you certainly cant generalise speakers too much, all 4x10s certainly dont sound like X, and not all 15" speakers are too slow for Y.

If weight/size are an issue, a lot of Neo cabs are geared towards a smoother, more full-range sound (wether this is [u]because[/u] the speakers are neo and that [u]makes[/u] them sound different or not has been discussed ad nauseum).

Either way you should get extended response and lighter weight from your average neo cab.

Edited by Jack

With regard to the upper range of ERBSs (C strings and so on), don't fret too much about absolute high frequency response in the way you might over low frequency response. As long as the horn or tweeter suits your taste, then it should be fine.

I still wouldn't rely on manufacturer's charts and frequency response claims. There's nearly always a bit of advertising "[i]voodoo[/i]" added!

As many here will state, a bit of LF reinforcement can help pep-up a fading low-end, especially if you shove your cab in a corner.
This has a more profound and subtle effect than trying to EQ more bottom end in, and helps conserve amplifier headroom for those peaks.

Power handling and sensitivity are two other areas in which the marketing boys like to mislead us.
Given that power is relatively "cheap" in modern amp terms (well, Solid State ones!), sensitivity is [u]perhaps[/u] less of an issue than we're led to believe.
Power handling is arguably more important, but it is possible to use an amp whose output can notionally exceed the rating of your cabinets. With caveats;

Listen to your cabs... No, really. If they're complaining, back off the master volume until they're happy again.
Don't get over excited with the master volume control.
Take care if you let others use your rig.

Lower powered amps are more susceptible to clipping (output stage-wise) than bigger amps. A big peak from a large amp is less likely to be distorted (squared-off) . The bigger amps will have more headroom in reserve, and should ultimately control your drivers better.
I found this when I changed from a 300w (4 ohms) Trace Head to an Ampeg pre and QSC Power pairing that gave 1400w RMS (also 4 ohms)
The depth, power and immediacy of the sound from the [i]same[/i] (Trace 2103H & 1153) cabinets was scarcely believable.

It's not all about cabs alone. It's the way that your amp and cab/s work together, so try together before you buy if at all possible!

I personally like the sound of 10" speakers, which can work well with a five string, but they have to be really good drivers in a well designed cab.

The most impressive cabs I've heard are Epifani, next in line are Eden. Both of makers use a transmission line design which extends the lower frequency range.

Of course, you may prefer the sound of bigger drivers, and there are other well made transmission line cabs which I haven't tried, but the best advice I can give is borrow or hire something, and play it at a gig before you decide to buy one.
Something that sounds great on its own in a practice room can sound totally different on stage.

I think youre confusing ports with transmission lines.

Euphonic Audio are the only people making tranmission line cabs for musicians.

[url="http://www.eaamps.com/2005/technology/transmission_line.htm"]EA Transmission Line[/url]

Edited by Jack