Why become a member? ×

DHA VT5-400-Bass

DHA

Hi Dave,

I was there on Saturday and did watch a couple of people try it out through the Berg 610. From what I heard it sounded very full but quite dirty - we had a go at calming it down but were not too familiar with the controld and so on - we found that by turning the 'Bright' switch off and easing back on the treble it warmed up very quickly, so I should have liked to have spent longer with it and exploring it. It struck me straight away as a fascinating piece of kit.

[quote name='ped' post='84948' date='Nov 7 2007, 03:14 PM']Hi Dave,

I was there on Saturday and did watch a couple of people try it out through the Berg 610. From what I heard it sounded very full but quite dirty - we had a go at calming it down but were not too familiar with the controld and so on - we found that by turning the 'Bright' switch off and easing back on the treble it warmed up very quickly, so I should have liked to have spent longer with it and exploring it. It struck me straight away as a fascinating piece of kit.[/quote]

Hi Ped,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I guess it does not do SS clean, starts at warm and ends up at high gain. I can tweek it a bit but I am thinking it's not intended to be used for very clean. Shame I could not make the Sat or I might have been able help a bit, one of the issues is the controls are very interactive which is a good thing but it takes a bit of effort to find what you are looking for!

I am building a 2 stage version for a BC member now and I think the single channel version already has the gain required for that. So, I will drop a valve stage on the single channel version and use it for the hi gain channel. This will clean it up quite a bit but still leave the high gain option.

regards

Dave

Edited by DHA

Hi Dave,

That sounds like a good plan! I might add that even at the fairly dirty sound it still had plenty of bottom and definition, so I could hear the nuances of each bass coming through which was really nice. Would definitely be interested in trying out any others you build - and the paint job certainly set it apart from everything else on the stand!!

Cheers
ped