Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

47 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What's the amp you're using. Can make out the Ampeg and GK cabs but not the amp.

Dave

I'd guess Traynor 200. B|

If it's anything like our Hiwatt 200 (4 x KT88...), '6' on the dial is stadium-filling, given those cabs.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'd guess Traynor 200. B|

If it's anything like our Hiwatt 200 (4 x KT88...), '6' on the dial is statium-filling, given those cabs.

Sent Traynor an email to see if they supply anywhere in UK but after a week i've had no reply.

The YBA 100 and 200 look nice. Some really nice features on them.

Dave

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sent Traynor an email to see if they supply anywhere in UK but after a week i've had no reply.

Dave

These are 'old-school' real transformer amps, and weigh in as a Moon/small Planet, plus their mandatory flight case. The Hiwatt is a two-man lift, assuming the fellows to be beef eaters. 20-odd Kgs 'dead' weight, and fragile, in that it doesn't do to drop 'em (no, don't ask; I'll have to cry again...). More modern valve amps use toroidal trannies, for instance, and aluminium chassis, lightweight casing etc, and can be more 'humper-friendly'. One has to really want 'that' sound, or gig out infrequently (it's now our case, so...). Just sayin'. :friends:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What's the amp you're using. Can make out the Ampeg and GK cabs but not the amp.

Dave

As @Dad3353said it’s the YBA-200. Very nice thing - moves lots of air, sympathetic to clumsy fingers. I have my eye on a second 4x10 for that rig as soon as my back recovers from this gig!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Mine is not too heavy at all. No more than an ABM really. Fwiw there is a lovely looking yba-300 in the for sale section….

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigjimmyc said:

Mine is not too heavy at all. No more than an ABM really. Fwiw there is a lovely looking yba-300 in the for sale section….

I've looked it up, and it is, indeed, a 'light-weight' at 20Kg. The Hiwatt is half as much again, plus the fly, so... Can't be beaten for 'heft', though, and ours (a PA head...) is clean up to the sky. It's all headroom, so if 'dirt' is required, add pedals..!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, bigjimmyc said:

Been looking at the YBA300 on BC but its 24" wide and my cabs are 19-20" so the overhang would be unsafe and look a bit daft to be honest.

Where did you get your YBA200 ?

I've had no response from Traynor at all.

Dave

27 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I've looked it up, and it is, indeed, a 'light-weight' at 20Kg. The Hiwatt is half as much again, plus the fly, so... Can't be beaten for 'heft', though, and ours (a PA head...) is clean up to the sky. It's all headroom, so if 'dirt' is required, add pedals..!

Not really looking for overdriven sound but sometimes a little grunt to take the edge off is nice.

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Been looking at the YBA300 on BC but its 24" wide and my cabs are 19-20" so the overhang would be unsafe and look a bit daft to be honest.

Dave

Not really looking for overdriven sound but sometimes a little grunt to take the edge off is nice.

Dave

Got mine on Gumtree… previous owner had imported it I believe. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

... and look a bit daft to be honest...

S'worth 'looking a bit daft' sometimes (and wider cabs exist..!). -_-

JQh7jD6.png

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

... sometimes a little grunt to take the edge off is nice...

Which is, indeed, the role of pedals. We seldom see vocalists tap-dancing; their Fx are handled at the console, and not integrated into the PA amps. Get the core sound right, and add [whatever] with pedals. It's all good. B|

• Like 1

This is the rig the Hiwatt was originally designed to drive; one pair each side of the stage (so four cabs...)...

e8XLMpY.jpg

I foolishly swapped the four for a more manageable system when I brought them to France, and have regretted it ever since..! Happy daze..!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Dave

Hang on for the Handbox, never played a traynor but I see a lot of guys on the ‘other site’ after getting a handbox let there traynors go 😄

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Hang on for the Handbox, never played a traynor but I see a lot of guys on the ‘other site’ after getting a handbox let there traynors go 😄

One of those in the classifieds too I think. Tempting!

Just got back from a Franklin's Tower gig in Oxford. Took my MiM Precision in case the heat got to one of my US Standards. Used my Sansamp to DI straight into the venue's desk, which worked well. The roads and parking in Oxford are terrible these days (mind you, they were pretty awful back in the 60s) so needed to travel light. 

Venue was the bar at the Bullingdon, not a bad place for small gigs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

Best sound I ever had, was a 60w Trayner combo.

Warm bottom end, that wasn't muddy and actually cut through.

Had to let it go as it wasn't loud enough for the gigs I was doing at the time.

Back to The Star in St Erth last night for the second time this year.  Quite warm but an appreciative crowd.  I recently got asked to use an amplifier rather than DI into the Bose PA as band leader didn't want to bring his large Bose sub any more.  Understandable as the sub is a bit of a beast and he is same age as me, old, so I recently acquired a BF One10 from @Mungobass and used it with a Tech 21 Flyrig and an MB Nano.   More than enough volume and band loved the great tone. I had some One10s a few years back and didn't get on with them but last night changed all that.  What amazing cabs they are. I now have gas for a second One10 again.  Will my Berg cabs become redundant I ask myself?

• Like 1

Just got back from a very hot Cider Barn gig. It's tiny so we had  drums across the entrance ( there is a side door ) and the banjo was next to me too so not ideal. 45 minutes into the set my grub screws loosened on the A string saddle and I started to lose notes. Luckily I packed the right size driver and it took me longer to get it out of the gig bagnext to me than wind the screws back up. I've bought some Loctite and need to  give them all a tiny drop, hope this sorts them out?  Checked with Nordstrand who say the string must be as low down the bridge and tuner peg as possible too ( which they already are). Bit of an annoyance and need to ensure the banjo is across the other side of the stage and me and lead guitar are side by side......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

Yep i think i'm gonna hang in there for the HB. It cant be far away now.

Of course i said that about the Mesa TT800 i ordered and that didn't end well for me. 😂

Dave

18 hours ago, bigjimmyc said:

Played a sailing club 40 miles away. Didn’t get paid until this morning but all ok in the end. 
Outdoors and a decent crowd, so took the full stack (valves, 1x15, 4x10). Had to take the master to 6 but got loud enough in the end. Somehow the older covers don’t cut it now. White stripes and Kings of Leon well received. 

I know where you're coming from with the comment about the older covers not going down that well.

Back in the 90s my band used to play Clapton, Stones, Eagles, ZZ top, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc which was probably before our time back then. This wasn't a problem as our target audience were people in their 40s, 50s and 60s and we always went down really well. 

As the years have passed, our original audience has either died or just stopped going to pubs because they are too old! (Sad fact of life).

That said, my band played a gig at the weekend and I was talking to a member of the audience after the gig and he said that remembered me from my first band back in the early 90s so maybe there's a few of them left hanging on after all!

• Like 1

Our

12 minutes ago, Davy said:

I know where you're coming from with the comment about the older covers not going down that well.

We do Twist and Shout & Surfin' USA, which we save for the end as they go down a storm. Noone in the band was born when those tracks were written.

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Our

We do Twist and Shout & Surfin' USA, which we save for the end as they go down a storm. Noone in the band was born when those tracks were written.

No-one in the hall was born when the pieces played for the last night of the Proms are produced every year; the tunes go down a storm every time. Good Stuff for the occasion is Good Stuff, whenever. Just sayin'. :|

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No-one in the hall was born when the pieces played for the last night of the Proms are produced every year; the tunes go down a storm every time. Good Stuff for the occasion is Good Stuff, whenever. Just sayin'.

Arguably!

One man's Good Stuff is another's screaming nightmare from hell...

If a gig contains Rule Britannia, That Hornpipe and/or Jerusalem, then that, for me, is a bit like that bit in The Exorcist where her head starts spinning and she's bouncing off the ceiling.

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not the easiest load in is it 🤣

Not too bad with modern gear and they had the balcony steps open so the public used those and we loaded in through the other set.

Wouldn't have fancied lugging an old-school PA system into the venue through. When I used to go and see gigs there (in 1980-81) it would be a bass bin, 2 mid-range cabs and a set of horns either side of the stage and one or two heavy racks of amps and crossovers to drive it all (plus a massive mixing desk and multicore).

• Like 1