Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Lake placid blue ?

Very unattractive colour, I'd advertise it on here asap, but doubt anybody would be interested.

Looks more Tidepool than LPB to my eyes, but that could just be the light when the pic was taken. Lovely guitar whichever colour it is!

• Thanks 1

Played two very contrasting gigs over the weekend.

First one was with my main band at an outdoor event with around 800 punters. The hot

weather combined with a lot of flying insects ( due to the stage being near a lake) made

for a rather uncomfortable time on stage, but we managed okay. Did one 90 min set, 

which is unusual for us as we are more used to doing two 60 min sets in theatres.

Kept my eye on one nutter at the front who was in danger of jumping onstage, but

fortunately he fell over ‘dancing’ so disappeared after a few songs. 

Then on Sunday I played with my acoustic duo at a 40th birthday do in a recently

built village hall in the Yorkshire Wolds. Again, stifling heat but at least there was a 

bit of fresh air as we set up near some bi-fold doors. Only around 35 guests

including some young children but all well behaved and appreciative of our bit.

Used my Ibanez short scale acoustic electric straight into our Yamaha / Bose

PA with no problems, easy set up. Superb home made food from the buffet and

some cold beers made for a great gig.

Edited by casapete
  • Like 6

Not exactly the same vein as other posts... The chamber orchestra I play in had its first public outing since 2019... It was a short programme aimed at friends and family. venue was our usual rehearsal venue, a church hall near Chester. Th programme included Mozart overture to Marriage of Figaro and a suite of renaissance dances by Delibes for a ballet (Le roi s'amuse). Mozart went well. There was a hiccough in one of the Delibes movement as some had forgotten that although written with a 4/2 time signature, it was being conducted in 2, so in effect a 2/1 time signature (yes, 2 semi-breves to a bar... crotchets are quite brisk when you're playing at 60 semi-breves a minute...)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Looks more Tidepool than LPB to my eyes, but that could just be the light when the pic was taken. Lovely guitar whichever colour it is!

Serial number dates it to 1996.

I'm not really up on Fender colours but not sure if Tidepool has been around that long has it?

19 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Serial number dates it to 1996.

I'm not really up on Fender colours but not sure if Tidepool has been around that long has it?

I'd say Lake Placid blue - hard to tell exactly from a photo.

I believe Tidepool is a fairly recent thing, although just a re-named Ice Blue Metallic.

More help / confusion here!

https://fendercustomersupport.microsoftcrmportals.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/KA-02004

Last Friday, actually - not that anyone cares, I'm sure.

This was the third gig in an uncharacteristically busy six weeks for our originals trio. We'd had to miss our last rehearsal due to the drummer/singer being poorly and so I'd not been able to check out my lovely new (to me) 4003s ahead of the gig. I still took it but the strings it came with looked like they'd been used to scour pans so I restrung with the only set I had to hand (Warwick Reds bought on a punt). I hate new strings and would never replace a set within a month of a gig if possible, so you can imagine how horrible the originals were.

This was also our first gig using Ableton to trigger some samples and between-song FX. We've strarted using a couple of projectors to project black and white footage behind/on/around us but the venue was mainly black so we decided to hang up some band t-shirts as a partial backdrop. Half of which got left at my house but were rescued by my brother on his way down. The venue is one of our local favourites and the soundman was a friend with great gear who had all our presets saved from last time 😃

Improbably, it all seemed to work out ok. As ever, I made some new and entirely unexpected errors on the bass while gliding through the bits that should have tripped me up. It was boiling hot and the Ric wouldn't stay in tune so I'm sure I annoyed all present by having to sdjust after virtually every song. The samples worked ok apart from me managing to trigger one on a loop during one song and not being able to stop it. The t-shirt backdrop thing worked as well as could we expected - we'll probably get some cheaply printed with our logo and sell them for a couple of quid at the end from now on. 

The only downside was about half the audience walking downstairs to the bar about halfway through and not coming back as they found they could go out the front door hear everything through the open windows while staying cool and enjoying their inhaled substances of choice.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, got a decent recording, some nice photos and £200 in the kitty. Would fully recomend the venue (Whip & Kitten, Rawtenstall) to any nearby original bands...

DT - WKpic.jpg

• Like 9

We found that the venue now has a small outdoor stage and seating; the acoustics here were very good and we got a nice sound from bass and drums.

A few cockups, but I think we got away with it.

Part of the fun of playing with this band is that I get to encounter some of the tunes (all originals by the BL) for the first time at gigs, which happened this time.

IMG_3968.jpeg

IMG_3969.jpeg

• Like 6

I did an after party for a posh soirée in Cheltenham town hall. We were in the ‘pillar room’. I snapped this from the stage whilst we waited (in very strict total silence, whispers only!!) for the main event to finish and folks to file in. 
It massively over ran and we ended up taking the stage at 10:45 and only doing 40 mins !! Ah well hey ho. 

2CCEEE33-CEE2-4451-8432-27F6136510F9.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 7

On 11/07/2022 at 22:41, blisters on my fingers said:

Lake placid blue ?

Very unattractive colour, I'd advertise it on here asap, but doubt anybody would be interested.

This is true it’s rather a bland colour, so boring in fact I wouldn’t even place my P on the market place as it wouldn’t gather any interest except the odd ‘GLWTS’ typed with a snigger… 

10205D8E-ACF8-4FDD-A11D-B7FE53D4EB80.thumb.jpeg.f9050c7bb6ccdf0f0f7b61a7de47d823.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Bunion said:

This is true it’s rather a bland colour, so boring in fact I wouldn’t even place my P on the market place as it wouldn’t gather any interest except the odd ‘GLWTS’ typed with a snigger… 

10205D8E-ACF8-4FDD-A11D-B7FE53D4EB80.thumb.jpeg.f9050c7bb6ccdf0f0f7b61a7de47d823.jpeg

Liking that bass rig tho. If you get bored with the HB i'll take it :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was playing at a local town festival yesterday in Vordingborg - a small town in DK. It was one of the bands I am

working with - and we play our own material ( rock-oriented. ). We had a nice audience,but rather windy. Excellent roadcrew and soundcrew. performance went well besides a minor glitch which nobody noticed - a nice evening indeed.

billede.thumb.png.0e02d03128782f17a56fe8d3b750ac05.png

• Like 6

Just got back from playing a gig in Witney (about 5 miles from home). Gig was playing outside a small real ale bar in the town centre, and was the first time out for the Wirebirds as a three piece. Quite a few local musicians there, several of whom sat in with us on some songs. Decent crowd there, most of whom stayed until the end. We got paid 50% more than agreed, so everyone was happy, especially our drummer playing his first gig with us.

Very satisfying evening, my wife kindly offered to drive me there and collect me afterwards, so I was able to take advantage of the free beer as well.

Tomorrow, I am playing music of the Grateful Dead with Franklin's Tower in Oxford.

294141912_451496256527829_1554241672634302668_n.jpg

Edited by FinnDave
add photo
  • Like 11

First time playing at Nottingham Boat Club, the scene of some great gigs I went to when I first moved here, and it's only taken me 42 years to get on this stage.

No gig photos as yet, but here's one from the afternoon soundcheck...

294439448-10209648454885086-132695752132

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 6

My last performance went just fine! I played guitar in a thrash metal band as a substitute for one dude. And before the concert they gave me a taste of cannabinoid gum (hop over there) lol. I'm not advocating drugs by any means! I just want to share this story! So I tried these gummies and oh my god, I have never experienced a similar sensation when playing the guitar! It was so weird and unusual, my head was spinning in a good way, but surprisingly I played the concert well and everything went off without a hitch.

Edited by petrderbikov
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

How was my gig last night? Hot. Very hot. I may have melted a bit inside.

It's the fourth time I've depped with this rock covers band and I'm kind of getting used to the way things happen.

Not had one rehearsal with them as they don't rehearse and new songs keep getting added, but it just seems to work.

I suppose it must be what a jam night is like, not that I've ever done one.

• Like 4

How was my gig last night? Rather lovely, that's how it was. 

Wedding celebration in a teepee-style marquee, in the grounds of a farm-cum-wedding-venue. Bit of a hike from the car park to the teepee but we were well looked after by the organiser and of course the weather was lovely. We optimised the space by putting the drums off to one side - we're all on in-ears anyway.

fMz0LA4.jpg

• Like 4

Just had a phone call from our guitarist about last night's gig - he wanted to tell me how good my bass sounded! I had planned to take an ABM combo, but as it was still quite hot, decided to use my Orange Little Bass Thing and Super Compact. He was raving about the tone, and several people at the gig complimented it as well. Must be doing something right, at last!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FinnDave said:

Just had a phone call from our guitarist about last night's gig - he wanted to tell me how good my bass sounded! I had planned to take an ABM combo, but as it was still quite hot, decided to use my Orange Little Bass Thing and Super Compact. He was raving about the tone, and several people at the gig complimented it as well. Must be something right, at last!

I strongly believe any amp through a Barefaced cab will sound good. Also the Orange Terror used to sound amazing through my BF so I'm not surprised their other amps do too.

• Like 2

Saturday saw another first in the short gigging career of the now-not-so-new band - our first outdoor gig at a charity fest raising funds for the local air ambulance. As first band on, we got the benefit of a decent soundcheck and it sounded superb, with the old Ashdown MAG300 combo I got off @karlfer donkey's years ago still delivering heaps of warm, punchy goodness. Things went slightly awry two songs in to our nine-song set with intermittent dropouts and odd noises coming through the monitors (plus Mr Lead Guitar forgetting to turn his chorus off because he couldn't see the LED glowing in the sunlight), but apparently nobody out front noticed the occasional off-piste moments and various people told us it all sounded OK, so happy days! 

We had been told that someone was going to be filming all the bands and if we took a pen drive along we could take a copy on the day, but unfortunately it didn't happen so all we've got to show for our efforts is a very short clip on FB. Still had fun though, and hopefully we'll get another, higher up the bill, crack at next year's event.

https://fb.watch/ejF2BlydJF/

anderby rocks setup 2.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

First time playing at Nottingham Boat Club, the scene of some great gigs I went to when I first moved here, and it's only taken me 22 years to get on this stage.

No gig photos as yet, but here's one from the afternoon soundcheck...

294439448-10209648454885086-132695752132

Perfectly captured, perfectly captioned!

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Perfectly captured, perfectly captioned!

Thanks! It's actually been 42 years. I've edited my original post. It turns out it was easier for me to get a gig on the main stage at Rock City than The Boat!

Edited by BigRedX
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Just got back from playing a gig in Witney (about 5 miles from home). Gig was playing outside a small real ale bar in the town centre...

That location looks familiar. I've never had chance to try the bar, though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, knirirr said:

That location looks familiar. I've never had chance to try the bar, though.

It's my favourite bar in Witney - often pop in there on a Friday afternoon while waiting for my wife to finish work. I've played there quite a few times, previously only inside, which doesn't work too well as it's a small place. 

The owner is a drummer, and on past gigs there has drummed for us. Last night he was delighted to be asked to sit in for a couple of numbers. 

• Like 1

Played a sailing club 40 miles away. Didn’t get paid until this morning but all ok in the end. 
Outdoors and a decent crowd, so took the full stack (valves, 1x15, 4x10). Had to take the master to 6 but got loud enough in the end. Somehow the older covers don’t cut it now. White stripes and Kings of Leon well received. 

E521563B-DB36-4775-8758-9E6515247750.jpeg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, bigjimmyc said:

Played a sailing club 40 miles away. Didn’t get paid until this morning but all ok in the end. 
Outdoors and a decent crowd, so took the full stack (valves, 1x15, 4x10). Had to take the master to 6 but got loud enough in the end. Somehow the older covers don’t cut it now. White stripes and Kings of Leon well received. 

E521563B-DB36-4775-8758-9E6515247750.jpeg

What's the amp you're using. Can make out the Ampeg and GK cabs but not the amp.

Dave